San Antonio visitors

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rwg3
Posts in topic: 2

San Antonio visitors

Post by rwg3 »

So this is way off topic, and if it is too far off then, Please fell free to lock or delete as you see fit.

We have some friends from out of state who will be visiting San Antonio for the first time at the end of the month. They will be staying somewhere down by the Riverwalk. They do like to find places to eat that are not necessarily the tourist spots. So if any of you that are familiar with SA would please offer a suggestion or two on breakfast or dinner spots that would give them a taste of what SA is really about, I would appreciate it. It has been several years since I've spent any considerable time there and I am sure things have changed a bunch by now.

PS, they are coming from the land of bland culinarily speaking so blowing their taste buds out is not necessarily needed especially since I wont be there to watch them get into some spicy peppers! :lol:

Thanks
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

howdy

Re: San Antonio visitors

Post by howdy »

Probably out of date, but when I would lay over in SA with Delta Air Lines, we would stay at the Crockett Hotel across the street from the Alamo. I would eat on the river at Rio Rio Mexican Food or The County Line barbecue. Both were good back then.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

Actually, I am thinking of taking my wife for a weekend at the Riverwalk in the next 4-8 weeks, so I would also be interested in ideas.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

Guillermo's is an awesome Italian(ish) restaurant that is very close to the River Walk. Awesome food. Try to eat there whenever I can, which isn't often.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Mi Tierra is always a good option. It is in the market square, so other things to see there as well.

http://www.mitierracafe.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

howdy

Post by howdy »

Probably not a concern for the op's friends but several hotels along the river are posted 30:06. The room rate is high but they also charge $20+/day for parking
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Mi Tierra is very good!

Also, Alamo Cafe is good, but it would be a drive for them from downtown. There are quite a few really good places there on the Riverwalk....one of the steak place is there, there are several, ok, many TexMex places.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

SewTexas wrote:Mi Tierra is very good!

Also, Alamo Cafe is good, but it would be a drive for them from downtown. There are quite a few really good places there on the Riverwalk....one of the steak place is there, there are several, ok, many TexMex places.
Add another to those who enjoy Mi Tierra! They offer a lot of food and are open 24/7. I'll also throw in a Jims Restaurant as they're way better than IHOP or Dennys. It's a bit far from the Riverwalk but Torchys Tacos is fantastic.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

rwg3 wrote:So this is way off topic, and if it is too far off then, Please fell free to lock or delete as you see fit.

We have some friends from out of state who will be visiting San Antonio for the first time at the end of the month. They will be staying somewhere down by the Riverwalk. They do like to find places to eat that are not necessarily the tourist spots. So if any of you that are familiar with SA would please offer a suggestion or two on breakfast or dinner spots that would give them a taste of what SA is really about, I would appreciate it. It has been several years since I've spent any considerable time there and I am sure things have changed a bunch by now.

PS, they are coming from the land of bland culinarily speaking so blowing their taste buds out is not necessarily needed especially since I wont be there to watch them get into some spicy peppers! :lol:

Thanks
Mexican Manhatten on the River Walk. The locals like it. It was recommended by my doc who lived there 20 years and we went and verified last weekend. it was great. Its not a tourist place but a local place although its on the Riverwalk.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Keith B wrote:Mi Tierra is always a good option. It is in the market square, so other things to see there as well.

http://www.mitierracafe.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I eat here whenever I am even close to SA. Great food.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

bigity

Post by bigity »

Mi Tierra is every good but seems to have gotten more expensive - or maybe it's just feeding 2 adults, one teenager, and 2 kids vs 2 adults these days :)

Casa Rio nearby actually on the riverwalk is another favorite place of mine.

Guillermo's is very good too if they don't feel like Mexican food (the heathens!).
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

bigity wrote:Mi Tierra is every good but seems to have gotten more expensive - or maybe it's just feeding 2 adults, one teenager, and 2 kids vs 2 adults these days :)

Casa Rio nearby actually on the riverwalk is another favorite place of mine.

Guillermo's is very good too if they don't feel like Mexican food (the heathens!).
I know about the teenagers. Appetites with legs.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Going there next month.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

filmtex
Location: Southwest of Austin generally, Southeast of Dallas occasionally, Israel annually.

Post by filmtex »

Mi Tierra in the Mercado west of the Riverwalk IS a pretty good place, but for my money, I highly suggest La Gloria in the Pearl. It's at the North end of the River walk (the new extension if you're a San Antonio native) and has great food.

"Chef Johnny Hernandez’s passion for food began at the early age of five in his father's restaurant and in his West Side San Antonio neighborhood. After graduating from the Culinary Institute of America-Hyde Park in New York and working in several exclusive resorts, he returned to San Antonio in 1994 and opened True Flavors Catering.

His latest venture, La Gloria, is consistently recognized by local and national media outlets. The restaurant celebrated its one-year anniversary in May and received the Readers’ Choice award for Best New Restaurant in June and has been featured in Travel and Leisure, Texas Monthly and Bon Appetit. He continues to give back to his community by mentoring aspiring chefs and starting the Paella Challenge, an annual fundraiser that recently raised $55,000 in scholarships. Latest projects for Chef Hernandez include serving as the spokesman for McCormick Spice’s Asando Sabroso tour, heading the development of Stone Oak’s newest destination, Los Portales, and working on his cookbook and memoir: México Mi Gloria.
Hernandez has recently been honored with the titles of Business Owner of the Year by the San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and Small Business Leader of the Year by the North Chamber."

For those that like a stroll, it's a good one. Not a bad cab ride from downtown either.

Just my 2 cents.
"Come and take it."

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Topic author
rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

As always folks, Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I am sure my friends will have many a fine meal to remember from this list.
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

Return to “Off-Topic”