Odessa, Texas: 4th grader suspended for magic ring

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Odessa, Texas: 4th grader suspended for magic ring

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2099103

What the heck is wrong with schools in Odessa?
Texas boy suspended for saying he could make classmate ‘disappear’ with ‘Lord of the Rings’ sorcery
The ring little Aiden brought to school may not have been the true ring of power, but it had enough controversy to get him suspended from a Kermit, Texas, school.

Kermit Elementary School officials called it a threat when the 9-year-old boy, Aiden Steward, in a playful act of make-believe, told a classmate he could make him disappear with a ring forged in fictional Middle Earth’s Mount Doom.

{——SNIP——}

“I assure you my son lacks the magical powers necessary to threaten his friend’s existence,” the boy's father later wrote in an email. "If he did, I'm sure he'd bring him right back."

{——SNIP——}

The family moved to the Kermit Independent School District only six months ago, but it’s been nothing but headaches for Aiden. He’s already been suspended three times this school year.

Two of the disciplinary actions this year were in-school suspensions for referring to a classmate as black and bringing his favorite book to school: "The Big Book of Knowledge."
Odessans has better start worrying about what is happening to their school district.

Discuss....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Odessa, Texas: 4th grader suspended for magic ring

Post by mojo84 »

Actually, it's a Kermit School and not Odessa's Ector County ISD. It was reported in the Odessa paper which is the Odessa American.

Nonetheless, it is idiocy on the party of Kermit ISD.
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Sounds like the kid is already a handful.
You know before we put this Ring of Power thing down, did anyone notice any hooded riders loitering about?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:Sounds like the kid is already a handful.
You know before we put this Ring of Power thing down, did anyone notice any hooded riders loitering about?

Sounds more like the Kermit ISD is messed up pretty bad. Kermit is one of the more backwards behind the times parts of the state.
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

I guess he learned a good life lesson...concealed is concealed.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

I can't believe Kermit is discriminating against a servant of Melkor like that.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Vol Texan wrote:I guess he learned a good life lesson...concealed is concealed.
"rlol"

Good one!

I honestly don't know a thing about Kermit. I just see this as part of the maddening trend in public schools. Instead of teaching discernment, they strive for a solution that doesn't require any discernment. The result is a society of people who lack discernment.............and consequently vote for Obama.

The great educators of history would be appalled.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I understand about making a general statement about publuc education. However, I don't think it appropriate to attribute a particular situation to a completely different town and school district. Odessa and Ector County ISD makes enough of their own stupid mistakes and poor decisions.

When criticising public educatiin, critical reading and reasoning are important for credibility sake.

This particular case has nothing to do with Odessa or its school district.
Odessans has better start worrying about what is happening to their school district.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

mojo84 wrote:I understand about making a general statement about publuc education. However, I don't think it appropriate to attribute a particular situation to a completely different town and school district. Odessa and Ector County ISD makes enough of their own stupid mistakes and poor decisions.

When criticising public educatiin, critical reading and reasoning are important for credibility sake.

This particular case has nothing to do with Odessa or its school district.
Mojo, see my previous post. I didn't realize that it was Kermit, not Odessa, when I posted the OP. I realize that now.

#TINVOWOOT

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

What do you expect from a city named after a frog. :lol: This kind of silliness is fairly common now days. I'm really sad to see it in Texas though.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I saw it. I understand your point that generally speaking public education sucks and they turning out idiots that vote for Obama. It just seems you were still attributing this to the wrong people. As I said in my previous post, Odessa makes enough of their own idiotic mistakes and decisions.

I also believe such generalized statements are inaccurate as not all school districts are the same. Just as I have shown before, there are good conservative colleges out there.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Yeah, a real juvenile delinquent this one. Not only did he bring a magic ring to school, but he {{{shiver}}} brought an unauthorized book and {{{gasp}}} he identified a classmate by his color. Next thing you know he'll be bringing chewing gum to school or worse yet, he'll have imaginary friends. The horror.
Last edited by baldeagle on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

baldeagle wrote:
Yeah, a real juvenile delinquent this one. Not only did he bring a magic ring to school, but he {{{shiver}}} brought an unauthorized book and {{{gasp}}} he identified a classmate by his color. Next thing you know he'll be brining chewing gun to school or worse yet, he'll have imaginary friends. The horror.
Freudian slip? "rlol"
NRA Endowment Member

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

baldeagle wrote:
Yeah, a real juvenile delinquent this one. Not only did he bring a magic ring to school, but he {{{shiver}}} brought an unauthorized book and {{{gasp}}} he identified a classmate by his color. Next thing you know he'll be brining chewing gun to school or worse yet, he'll have imaginary friends. The horror.
Well if he has the Ring of Power those aren't imaginary friends, you just can't see them. But they can see you... :eek6
To be safe we need to toss his ring into the nearest volcano. I will volunteer to lead this valiant band to...Hawaii, to do so. Unlike Lord of the Rings though i'll just rent a helicopter and fly over it. Much less tedious and back in tim for afternoon mai tais.

As noted if he's chewing a gun in school, yes he should be suspended. Guns are not for chewing!

Seriously though, there's a statistical chance that there may be some context here thats not part of the story, but doubtful. However, I've never heard of anyone actually getting suspended from the 4th grade in the real world outside of fighting or such. Wow

chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Could anyone tell me where these rings could be purchased and an approximate price range ? I have a few people I would like to .............

Return to “Off-Topic”