I like my Friendswood Police...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

I like my Friendswood Police...

Post by mrvmax »

It may seem like overkill to some, but they took in to custody four men soliciting without a permit. The four guys were selling magazine subscriptions (more than likely a scam) and one had a warrant. There have also been instances of people using tactics like this to look for empty houses to break in to. I am glad these guys are diligent enough to go after what seems like a minor infraction in order to prevent circumstances that may result in crimes. Here is an excerpt from our weekly crome blotter:

Apr. 1 (4:26 p.m.) Zacarria Ronald Crankshaw, 19, of Broadalbin, NY; William James Lampman, 20, of Johnstown, NY; Avery Scott Wiles, 19, of Dickinson, and Kyle Goebel, 19, of Gloversville, NY, were charged with Soliciting without a Permit. Unpermitted solicitors were reported in the 3000 block of Autumn Creek Drive. They were selling magazine subscriptions. When an officer arrived in the area, he observed a silver Chrysler circling the neighborhood and run the stop sign at Park Bend and W. Bay Area Blvd. The vehicle was stopped and Crankshaw was identified as the driver, Wiles was a front seat passenger and Lampman was in the back seat. All three men said they were looking for their friend. When asked, they admitted they were soliciting door-to-door. Wiles had warrants in Pasadena, but all three men were taken into custody for soliciting without a permit. A short time later, another officer found Goebel soliciting without a permit and took him into custody also.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: I like my Friendswood Police...

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

That's a common casing tactic for daytime burglars.

Chas.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

That was the plot of a recent episode of a forensics show. In it it ultimately lead to a murder. I'm also glad they're staying on top of it here.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

I lived in an apartment years ago. Moved into a house the next year. A little while later the same guy shows up at the house as had at the apartments once again saying he's selling magazines to raise money for college scholarship. Same sleazy guy not believable at all but I got rid of him quickly. Later I thought I should have called "suspicious individual" call as I had many older neighbors who might have believed him. I remember that as a missed opportunity to prevent potential crimes.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

i often open carry at my house and i love answering the door with a 1911 on my hip. it's surprising to me how bold and pushy they are when they're not staring at a holstered weapon. it only takes one time of telling them you're not interested for them to leave :lol:
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Every one of these "salesmen" I've ever encountered has been at best, a skeezy liar.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

There's nothing quite like a skinny, irate man (having been recently woken) answering the insistent hammering at his door in his underwear with a Glock in one hand to make a pushy census-taker accept the answer of "one person, I'm not giving you any more information" and scurry off your porch like she'd seen a rattlesnake...

That was in the city. We don't get salespeople out here in the boonies, just Jehovah's Witnesses. Agree or disagree with their theology, I'll say this for them: they're nowhere nearly as pushy or intrusive as door-to-door salesmen (or census ladies).

Return to “Off-Topic”