Downtown San Antonio cheap?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Downtown San Antonio cheap?

Post by KD5NRH »

Had to pass through last week on the way to the Rio Grande Valley. On the way back I thought I'd stop and see the Alamo, but what little parking was available downtown was pricier than I cared for. Looking for locals or others who have dealt with the situation the way I'd like to; find a park and ride out at the edge, beyond the worst traffic and pay a couple bucks to ride a bus downtown, getting closer than 90% of the $10+ parking there. If coming in on 281 or 35 from the north, where would one find a park and ride? Looks like the Parkhills one on 281 would be most convenient, but I can't see anything on the map that actually looks like the claimed 225 parking spaces and bus stop area. (Unless it's the church parking area there or something.)

Thoughts?

gljjt

Re: Downtown San Antonio cheap?

Post by gljjt »

KD5NRH wrote:Had to pass through last week on the way to the Rio Grande Valley. On the way back I thought I'd stop and see the Alamo, but what little parking was available downtown was pricier than I cared for. Looking for locals or others who have dealt with the situation the way I'd like to; find a park and ride out at the edge, beyond the worst traffic and pay a couple bucks to ride a bus downtown, getting closer than 90% of the $10+ parking there. If coming in on 281 or 35 from the north, where would one find a park and ride? Looks like the Parkhills one on 281 would be most convenient, but I can't see anything on the map that actually looks like the claimed 225 parking spaces and bus stop area. (Unless it's the church parking area there or something.)

Thoughts?
Park at the Casa Rio restaurant lot. $7 / day attended lot. You can enter the riverwalk thru the restaurant. Nice dining there on the river at Casa Rio. Above average TexMex, great location. We did this just last week. It is just a 10 -15 minute walk to the Alamo, via the river walk and up to street level passing the Menger Menger Hotel. Go to the Menger Bar where Teddy Roosevelt hung out. Legend is one of the bullet holes in the wood behind the bar was fired by Teddy.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

I visited in January and parked in the River Center Mall garage. I didn't spend all day, but did a couple hours at the Alamo and IIRC the charge at the River Center was $6.
USAF 1982-2005

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

ELB wrote:I visited in January and parked in the River Center Mall garage. I didn't spend all day, but did a couple hours at the Alamo and IIRC the charge at the River Center was $6.
Buy a soda or something in the food court at the mall and get your parking ticked validated for 2 hours free.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

gljjt wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:Had to pass through last week on the way to the Rio Grande Valley. On the way back I thought I'd stop and see the Alamo, but what little parking was available downtown was pricier than I cared for. Looking for locals or others who have dealt with the situation the way I'd like to; find a park and ride out at the edge, beyond the worst traffic and pay a couple bucks to ride a bus downtown, getting closer than 90% of the $10+ parking there. If coming in on 281 or 35 from the north, where would one find a park and ride? Looks like the Parkhills one on 281 would be most convenient, but I can't see anything on the map that actually looks like the claimed 225 parking spaces and bus stop area. (Unless it's the church parking area there or something.)

Thoughts?
Park at the Casa Rio restaurant lot. $7 / day attended lot. You can enter the riverwalk thru the restaurant. Nice dining there on the river at Casa Rio. Above average TexMex, great location. We did this just last week. It is just a 10 -15 minute walk to the Alamo, via the river walk and up to street level passing the Menger Menger Hotel. Go to the Menger Bar where Teddy Roosevelt hung out. Legend is one of the bullet holes in the wood behind the bar was fired by Teddy.
I'll vouch for Casa Rio. Damn good enchiladas!

viking1000

Post by viking1000 »

Downtown San Antonio
If you park at river center mall go to Dillard's and get the girls at cosmetics dpt. to stamp your ticket and get 2 hours free parking.
My X wife worked there .

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

All much better than the $12+ just to park that I kept seeing, but I'd like to avoid the downtown traffic altogether. Time spent trying to get through SA without overheating was way too much of the trip to/from McAllen.

BTW, the Red Poppy Festival in Georgetown last Saturday was well worth the trip; John Michael Montgomery street concert with a couple of great opening acts, and it was the one gorgeous day wedged in between the storms. Free shuttle bus from the Baptist church right there on 29 made it really convenient, too. Worth adding a few more hours to all the driving I had to do last week.

Return to “Off-Topic”