Generation War --German WW2 mini-series

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Generation War --German WW2 mini-series

Post by VMI77 »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1883092/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Trailer available at the link. Saw it recommended on a gun blog. Not yet on Netflix when I checked so I ordered the DVD set. 270 minutes. Chronicles 5 German friends between 1939 and 1945. Also called "Our Mothers, Our Fathers." The trailer looks good and it has a high rating for a TV series on the IMDB but I haven't watched it yet.

This is the description from the IMDB.
Berlin, 1941. Five friends eager to become heroes in an adventure that will change the face of Europe - and that will forever change them as well. Level-headed, highly decorated officer Wilhelm is off to the eastern front with his younger brother Friedhelm, a sensitive dreamer more interested in literature than warfare. Deeply in love with Wilhelm is Charlotte, a young nurse who looks forward to serving in the Wehrmacht, also on the eastern front. While Greta is a talented singer who longs to become another Marlene Dietrich, her Jewish boyfriend Viktor still cannot convince his parents to leave Germany... Valor and courage come to the fore, but also betrayal - of values, beliefs, humanity. Friedhelm turns into a soulless killing machine... Wilhelm deserts his troops and is court-martialed... Charlotte's Nazi ideology crumbles when she betrays a Jewish nurse helping the German army... Greta obtains papers for Viktor's escape by selling herself to an SS colonel. They and millions of others wanted to be heroes; but none of them could imagine what the war would ultimately do to them and to the rest of the world

Sounds a little melodramatic, but has a good rating on the IMDB, was recommended on the Oleg Volk gun blog, and the trailer is interesting.

Edited to add:

Saw it listed on Netflix this evening.
Last edited by VMI77 on Fri May 15, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Generation War --German WW2 mini-series

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well, you were right about the British WW1 miniseries, so I'll try this one out.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Well, you were right about the British WW1 miniseries, so I'll try this one out.
For some reason we have an unusual amount of downloading left on our satellite internet (25 GB per month limit) as we near the end of our month so we will be streaming like crazy for the next few days, but I plan to watch it after that. Here's the Oleg Volk mini review:
Our Mothers, Our Fathers (Generation War) — a German three-part movie about five friends living through 1939-1945.

Acting – 9/10, including strong performances by secondary characters
Visuals – 9/10, good sense of time and place
Props and authenticity – 8/10, just a couple of glitches
Pacing, editing, suspense – 10/10
Plot – 10/10, not very predictable at all

Overall: highly recommended.
http://olegvolk.net/blog/

Another guide for me....my wife isn't a big fan of war films, so if she says something war related was interesting and that she enjoyed it....it's usually pretty good. She finds one of my favorites, "Blackhawk Down," particularly brutal and not particularly enjoyable, so it's not always a good guide for just me, but perhaps a guide for others less interested in military history. Part of it may simply be how close it hits home. One of the things that bothers her about Blackhawk Down is seeing so many young Americans killed. OTOH, she likes Patton and "A Bridge Too Far," but those films are much less personal. She enjoyed the British WW1 series and found it interesting. She liked the WW1 From Above documentary too, and wondered if the tank crew in that was supposed to be the same as the one in the Battle of Amiens episode --but I don't think it was.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

ELB

Post by ELB »

I have watch parts of "Our Mothers, Our Fathers." It has some pretty brutal scenes as well, especially when young Friedhelm is turning from dreamer to killing machine. Be prepared.
USAF 1982-2005

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I watched "Generation War" last night and tonight. I was highly impressed and its hard to impress me movie-wise these days. Thanks for posting about it.

Return to “Off-Topic”