More Rain. **Sigh**

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

More Rain. **Sigh**

Post by anygunanywhere »

The drought has been horrible for Texas and I am glad we have received the Lord's gift of rain. My pond has been overflowing the dam spillway now continuously since late February which is really cool since it shows that the spring is flowing. Everything is green, I don't have to water. Lots of positives.

**SIGH**

My 9 year old grandson is headed to stay for the weekend. He is quite the bass catcher. I'm hoping it will clear up so we can go catch some fish this weekend. If not, I'll have to spend the weekend letting him defeat me soundly playing video games.

Bummer.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Javier730
Posts in topic: 1

Re: More Rain. **Sigh**

Post by Javier730 »

Either way you get to spend time with your grandson and that is all that counts. Have fun . :thewave
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

:iagree:

I'm probably going to have to learn to knit and crochet so I can spend more time with my granddaughter as she grows up.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gemini

Post by gemini »

anygunanywhere wrote:The drought has been horrible for Texas and I am glad we have received the Lord's gift of rain. My pond has been overflowing the dam spillway now continuously since late February which is really cool since it shows that the spring is flowing. Everything is green, I don't have to water. Lots of positives.

**SIGH**

My 9 year old grandson is headed to stay for the weekend. He is quite the bass catcher. I'm hoping it will clear up so we can go catch some fish this weekend. If not, I'll have to spend the weekend letting him defeat me soundly playing video games.

Bummer.
Looking at radar tonight and it looked like storms would be out of your area by tomorrow afternoon (maybe sooner). Storms were headed
N.E. Looks like we'll be getting them by tomorrow night or early Sunday morning. My grandson is too young to really do anything. But, I remember
playing domino's, Go Fish and Gin with my Grand Dad. Fun times. As I got older we fished and hunted. You don't forget those kind of memories.
After all these years, I still miss him.

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

anygunanywhere wrote:...Lots of positives...
Yes. In Texas we are not allowed to ever complain about "too much rain".

I did sneak-in some much needed grass-cutting yesterday (had gotten almost knee-high) and hopefully you too had a dry enough day for a nice outing with the youngun. Young-one that is.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Tried to cut the grass yesterday with the fancy-schmancy zero turn (1100 pound) mower. Worked out reasonably well. The four-wheel drive pickup pulled the mower out of the muck just fine.

Meanwhile, I've ignored tree trimming for far too long, and I've got a few trees in my back yard that have turned shamelessly shabby.

The insurance company decided they would ask me to trim the trees prior to renewing my policy, because they have kind of a homeowner association mentality. Why trees inside my fence are much different than the tangle of woods outside my fence is a bit of a mystery.

They made this decision last month. Now, rain is in the forecast every day for the next ten days. The tree trimmer says he will make it look like a park just as soon as he can get his bucket truck into my yard. I have three weeks. Ten days down due to rain, another few days for dry-out, assuming it turns arid, another few days to actually get the work accomplished, and the insurance company is hiding behind law that says they didn't need to tell me their request at the time they decided it was needed.

Naturally, I'm hunting different insurance for home and for the rent house (which already is upscale and the yard looks like a park) we have with the company.

Which insurance company? Probably doesn't matter. They are all questionable. I pay around $7,000 a year on property insurance for our rent homes, and have never, ever, had a claim. I just pay for repair. Outside of fire, there isn't much they pay, anyway.

And never invest in rent property. It's a trap. Run away.

jmra

Post by jmra »

treadlightly wrote:...never invest in rent property. It's a trap. Run away.
:iagree:
Been there, done that, have the gray hairs to prove it.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

We did get some fishing in. My eldest son caught a few small bass. My grandson wasn't so lucky. Me either. We did get in some good talk time though. Oh yes, I got a beat down on the video games. I hope my lack of skill was not too obvious.

We went out to eat at the Holman Steak House. My grandson and I split a 14 oz rare ribeye. I got two bites. That boy can eat.

Good times.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Kkpsiknl

Post by Kkpsiknl »

I managed to get in a range visit between the storms today. Now playing get to clean them and wait on the weather to roll back in.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

I had a couple of PVC target holders in the field closest to The back of our property, which butts up to Denton Creek. We usually shoot out there because the woods and hill behind there is a natural berm, and we don't worry about any projectiles leaving the property. Well, in the last couple of weeks, TxDOT has closed the Farm tomMarket road adjacent to our property many times because of the water overfowing Denton Creek onto the highway.

I finally got out there yesterday to look and see how our range had held up, and was dismayed to see that all of the PVC holders wrre gone, and that the spinning tagets were the only thing left standing. Looked around and did find some of the PVC target holders at the edge of the property, under debris and in the neighbor's field. Gotta go look for the rest of 'em when it dries up some more.

Guess I need to build some sturdier backstops -got some ideas that call for sinking railroad ties down into concrete filled holes...
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “Off-Topic”