What's causing American obesity and cardiovascular disease?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rdcrags
Posts in topic: 6

Re: What's causing American obesity and cardiovascular disease?

Post by rdcrags »

I guess I am just ignorant enough to believe that the "wrong food" kick is just one fad after another. Many of us have never changed what we eat, just how much, and are still healthy at old age.
TX CHL 1997

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

rdcrags wrote:I guess I am just ignorant enough to believe that the "wrong food" kick is just one fad after another. Many of us have never changed what we eat, just how much, and are still healthy at old age.
I'm just the opposite. When my clothes start getting tight, I just cut back on carbs. At 51, I have the same waist size that I did in college.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 27

Post by mojo84 »

TXBO wrote:
rdcrags wrote:I guess I am just ignorant enough to believe that the "wrong food" kick is just one fad after another. Many of us have never changed what we eat, just how much, and are still healthy at old age.
I'm just the opposite. When my clothes start getting tight, I just cut back on carbs. At 51, I have the same waist size that I did in college.

Bragging is not appreciated around these parts. :nono:

:biggrinjester:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

mojo84 wrote:
TXBO wrote:

LOL. I hope it wasn't taken that way. I've seen many people frustrated with calorie reduction diets that get new life after instituting a ketogenic diet.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

TXBO wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
TXBO wrote:

LOL. I hope it wasn't taken that way. I've seen many people frustrated with calorie reduction diets that get new life after instituting a ketogenic diet.

Just joking and envious.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

mojo84 wrote:
TXBO wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
TXBO wrote:

Just joking and envious.
Like everybody, I've gotten into cycles in my life where I got heavy. Sitting at a desk, working 12 hour days, eating junk food and drinking beer to unwind at night, while not making time for proper exercise.

Cutting carbs has always been my way to reverse the cycle.

Topic author
Tracker
Posts in topic: 63

Post by Tracker »

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Heart Disease root causes - and the tests that can save your life !

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Tracker, the calcium scan is what saved my life 15 years ago. A new heart hospital had opened across the freeway from my office. My assistant came in one day and told me she was concerned about my health because I had become fatigued and grumpy all the time and not very likeable. She told me she heard on the radio about a special the new hospital was running on a new test called a calcium scan. She said it was a $100 and took less than thirty minutes. I had the scan done and the technician wouldn't let me leave. He called in a doctor that reviewed my results and told me to go straight to my cardiologist's office. I did what they told me and a couple days later I had an angiogram done. They found my "widowmaker" artery 90% blocked. I credit God, my assistant, the calcium scan and the cardiologist for saving my life.

I forgot to mention, I had had 3 false negative nuclear stress tests over the previous 2 years.

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

mojo84 wrote:Tracker, the calcium scan is what saved my life 15 years ago. A new heart hospital had opened across the freeway from my office. My assistant came in one day and told me she was concerned about my health because I had become fatigued and grumpy all the time and not very likeable. She told me she heard on the radio about a special the new hospital was running on a new test called a calcium scan. She said it was a $100 and took less than thirty minutes. I had the scan done and the technician wouldn't let me leave. He called in a doctor that reviewed my results and told me to go straight to my cardiologist's office. I did what they told me and a couple days later I had an angiogram done. They found my "widowmaker" artery 90% blocked. I credit God, my assistant, the calcium scan and the cardiologist for saving my life.

I forgot to mention, I had had 3 false negative nuclear stress tests over the previous 2 years.
Cool, Mojo. What I don't understand is why the test isn't routine yet. I tell ya, because my wife is a nurse we get around other nurses. You'd think these healthcare professionals would be interested in this research. Far from it. Their mantra is: "it's just your genes." I bit my tongue for a long time so now my comeback mantra is: "that's just your excuse for being intellectually lazy."

even in this thread I had an MD respond with "wow, i dont have the attention/time to look this over, but looks pretty detailed." After I answered this post;
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1012524
here are some risk factors off the top of my head (cardiovascular disease):
1. high cholesterol
2. smoking
3. uncontrolled diabetes
4. uncontrolled hypertension

5. moderate to severe sleep apnea
6. stress/type A personality
7. lack of quality sleep
8. sedentary lifestyle

obesity in general:
-stress
-lack of sleep
-poor diet
-lack of regular exercise (heck, id be obese if I didnt run 3.5 miles a day for the last 10 years, and im still fat)
Begs some questions:
1. Is someone is running that much a day why are they still overweight?
2. What is the cause of that hypertension?
3. What is causing the increasing rates in type 2 diabetes (including kids which was unheard of 30 years ago) and is there a way to treat without meds?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

It wasn't covered by insurance when I had mine done. I figured, for the price of a nice dinner for my wife and I, it would be a good investment. Not sure if it's covered now or not. Crazy if not. It's amazing how much more necessary and common testa, procedures and treatments become once insurance starts paying for them.

Here is a link to a series of excellent talks regarding becoming self sufficient when it comes to healthcare and health insurance. I caution anyone that listens to it to make sure they weigh and consider all the pros and cons of what Bert discusses and take his discussion for information only.

http://www.medicalselfsufficiency.com

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Tracker wrote:Heart Disease root causes - and the tests that can save your life !

Great post, thanks!!!

Just had my annual and GP wanted to place me on statins based on age, sex and cholesterol levels. I objected and asked if there was a test that might actually provide data upon which to make a more informed decision. He then offered the CT calcium scan, somewhat reluctantly and there is a question as to whether or not insurance will cover. I decided to have the scan regardless, and your posting served to validate my decision, much appreciated.

Also made me rethink carbs intake!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Tracker wrote:Heart Disease root causes - and the tests that can save your life !

Great post, thanks!!!

Just had my annual and GP wanted to place me on statins based on age, sex and cholesterol levels. I objected and asked if there was a test that might actually provide data upon which to make a more informed decision. He then offered the CT calcium scan, somewhat reluctantly and there is a question as to whether or not insurance will cover. I decided to have the scan regardless, and your posting served to validate my decision, much appreciated.

Also made me rethink carbs intake!
Print off this petition and take it to your GP. The NIH has never done a re review. Note the people who signed it.

https://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/finalnihltr.pdf

I learned about the petition from this talk by prof David Diamond's. High cholesterol is not a good marker for heart disease.

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

BTW Clinger one of the people who signed that petition is vegetarian Christopher Gardner, Stanford University.

He oversaw this research which pitted four popular diets against each other, including the one doctors prescribe. Atkins won. Gardner affirms what David Diamond says about excess carbs raising blood triglycerides and lowering HDL

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

UTSW by and large attempts to defend the traditional line:

http://www.utswmedicine.org/stories/art ... swers.html
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “Off-Topic”