What's causing American obesity and cardiovascular disease?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

chuck j
Posts in topic: 4

Re: What's causing American obesity and cardiovascular disease?

Post by chuck j »

Just eating veggies , fruit , limited amount of meat every 2 days , no sugar , no starch . All I have done is to cut back intake and limit the type food , in other words just a regular old diet . No special shakes , no prepackaged diet food , no pills , no prepared diet plan and prayer every day . It works .

MONGOOSE
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by MONGOOSE »

Sounds about like what I did to go from 245 back down to 180. However, I did alternating days when I would work out or walk 2 miles per day.

Topic author
Tracker
Posts in topic: 63

Post by Tracker »

chuck j wrote:Just eating veggies , fruit , limited amount of meat every 2 days , no sugar , no starch . All I have done is to cut back intake and limit the type food , in other words just a regular old diet . No special shakes , no prepackaged diet food , no pills , no prepared diet plan and prayer every day . It works .
Here's what happens when you cut back on calories on any diet, your total consumption of saturated fats as a % of calories goes up. It's just that the consumption isn't coming from eating. It's coming from your own stored body fat.

For example, assume a daily calorie balance is 2000 calories per day. If someone cuts back to eating 1000 calories per day and assuming they aren't eating any fats, zero, that other 1000 calories is coming from their own stored body fat. They are actually consuming 50% of their calories as fat.

So a person should be able to lose on any calorie restricted diet, even eating nothing but twinkles. However, there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. There are, however, essential fatty acids and essential amino acids (proteins) that the body doesn't store and you need to get those from eating enough fats and protein.

Carbohydrates make you hungrier....and lazier. Think eating a big Thanksgiving dinner and all you want to do is take a nap. Carbs do that to me. Eating a low-carb, high-fat, moderate protein diet kills much of that hunger and makes it easier to stick to a weight lose diet. For me eating this way, and keeping insulin low, I don't get near as hungry. I can get to doing something and forget to eat lunch. The hardest part is the two to three week break in period.

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

PubMed: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/2/276.full
Low-carbohydrate nutrition and metabolism1,2,3
The persistence of an epidemic of obesity and type 2 diabetes suggests that new nutritional strategies are needed if the epidemic is to be overcome. A promising nutritional approach suggested by this thematic review is carbohydrate restriction. Recent studies show that, under conditions of carbohydrate restriction, fuel sources shift from glucose and fatty acids to fatty acids and ketones, and that ad libitum–fed carbohydrate-restricted diets lead to appetite reduction, weight loss, and improvement in surrogate markers of cardiovascular disease.

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

and the brain works better on ketones than just glucose
Psychology Today
How a high-fat diet can help the brain work better
Posted Apr 18, 2011

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ev ... in-ketones

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

I know two couples who have been on this fit in 21 days diet, The men have averaged 21 lb loss in the first 21 days. the women 12. My sister also dropped 45 ibs with the Metafast plan. Don't forget sleep and weight training seem important.

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

want to know how the AHA came up with the stat on why total cholesterol needs to be under 200? In this lecture it comes off as a financial conflict of interest scam. Here's PhD of neurology who had very high triglycerides (600). After two years of trying to adjust his diet to a low fat diet and exercises his triglycerides rose to 800. So he decided he needed to teach himself everything he could about cardiology. Note that this was posted in 2011. A lot of other people are coming to the same conclusion that he, independently did.

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

British Medical Journal
Feature Nutrition
The scientific report guiding the US dietary guidelines: is it scientific?
BMJ 2015; 351 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h4962 (Published 23 September 2015) Cite this as: BMJ 2015;351:h4962

Topic author
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Cholesterol Is Not a ‘Nutrient of Concern,’ Report Says
http://time.com/3705734/cholesterol-dietary-guidelines/

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

Have you ever heard the saying "you can't manage what you can't measure"? If you believe that, a ketogenic diet has a great advantage. Ketostix. Being able to test yourself daily allows constant conformation that your diet is doing exactly what you want it to do..... burn existing fat. I don't know of any other diet that can say that.

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

Tracker wrote:and the brain works better on ketones than just glucose
Psychology Today
How a high-fat diet can help the brain work better
Posted Apr 18, 2011

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ev ... in-ketones
Makes sense. A ketogenic diet is also a common treatment for people suffering from epilepsy.

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

mojo84 wrote:
AndyC wrote:So, mojo, how much did ya lose? :)
Looks like I need to keep licking. :lol:

In all seriousness, I can see the point he and others are making. I am still trying to confirm the veracity of it and if it's right for me. I fit the guy's profile and have eliminated probably 80% of the flour and sugar from my diet. I still eat fruit, sweet potatoes, legumes and brown rice occassionally. Apparently, that's not strict enough.
Everyone has a different metabolism and means everyone has a different limit of daily carbs to avoid gaining weight. If you want to find your limit. Pick up some Ketostix at the drug store. Cut out almost all of your carbs until you go into ketosis. Once in ketosis, slowly add back carbs to your diet until you are no longer in ketisis. Back off just enough to get back in ketosis and now you know you limit.

Dr.Wayne
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dr.Wayne »

here are some risk factors off the top of my head (cardiovascular disease):
1. high cholesterol
2. smoking
3. uncontrolled diabetes
4. uncontrolled hypertension
5. moderate to severe sleep apnea
6. stress/type A personality
7. lack of quality sleep
8. sedentary lifestyle

obesity in general:
-stress
-lack of sleep
-poor diet
-lack of regular exercise (hell, id be obese if I didnt run 3.5 miles a day for the last 10 years, and im still fat)
First time gun owner/CHL'er
Houston, TX
Children: Glock 43, Springfield XDS-45, and happily expecting an AR-15 self build

mojo84
Posts in topic: 27

Post by mojo84 »

TXBO wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
AndyC wrote:So, mojo, how much did ya lose? :)
Looks like I need to keep licking. :lol:

In all seriousness, I can see the point he and others are making. I am still trying to confirm the veracity of it and if it's right for me. I fit the guy's profile and have eliminated probably 80% of the flour and sugar from my diet. I still eat fruit, sweet potatoes, legumes and brown rice occassionally. Apparently, that's not strict enough.
Everyone has a different metabolism and means everyone has a different limit of daily carbs to avoid gaining weight. If you want to find your limit. Pick up some Ketostix at the drug store. Cut out almost all of your carbs until you go into ketosis. Once in ketosis, slowly add back carbs to your diet until you are no longer in ketisis. Back off just enough to get back in ketosis and now you know you limit.

Yeah, it seems that I can't eat any carbs. I was only eating a slice of whole grain orawheat bread with breakfast. I also would cheat and eat a bit of rice and corn occassionally. The only potatoes I eat are sweet potatoes. No sugar.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

chuck j
Posts in topic: 4

Post by chuck j »

It's just personal opinion , no medical reference included . Try to lose slowly , kind of take your present eating and amount of exercise into consideration and just try to cut back on the calories by eating lower cal food you like without burning yourself out on eating the same things . It's a fact that the spices or seasonings are one of the big factors , Eat at home not out, when you look at the menu at a restaurant your mind starts to give in to your want to's .

Losing slowly forms new eating habits that will tend to serve you better in the long run , after a while you just don't want to over indulge of don't have a problem resisting . Exercise in a really big player , work at things you enjoy doing ........as long as it's not done sitting on your butt , get up and move . If you lose too quickly I got money says you'll gain in back in a short amount of time .
I would add that prayer is your biggest tool , GOD WILL HELP .

Return to “Off-Topic”