Uber bans firearms of all types

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ddstuder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Uber bans firearms of all types

Post by ddstuder »

Uber is not as bad as y'all think.

Every experience I've had was a positive one. The cars are cleaner and newer than any taxi I have ever been in. It is safer than a cab because they do not accept cash. It is all done through the app so you do not even have to have your Credit card with you.

It does upset me that they have taken this stance, but I will continue to use it. As many have already said, 1.) how would they know if you are carrying? and 2.) I usually only use the service as a designated driver when I return home from concerts and such!

To each their own.
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 7

Post by VMI77 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
VMI77 wrote:It seems like an especially dangerous proposition for female passengers to start with. You're just going to hop into some stranger's private vehicle? Why not just put your thumb out and hitchhike? And for the drivers? Cab driving is a more dangerous occupation than law enforcement. Taxi drivers have a higher death rate than police. And on top of that I saw an economic analysis for drivers awhile back and I don't see how it even makes economic sense. The whole basis of Uber is the corporation foisting maintenance, operating, and capital costs off on drivers and skimming a profit off their revenue stream. When all costs are considered Uber driving pays substantially less than minimum wage.
https://www.uber.com/safety" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.uber.com/safety/code-of-conduct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've had more bad taxi experiences in big cities than I can count. Uber and similar services will live and die by their actual delivery of customer satisfaction, which includes safety, service and respect for customers and drivers. Contrast that to Taxi unions and other government-"licensed" taxi oligarchies that have been granted government protection and appear, in my personal experience, to contract out driving of their licensed cabs to drivers who meet less stringent standards than Uber drivers. Give an Uber driver a few bad reviews and we'll see how long Uber allows him to keep taking fares. You'll never get that kind of preening from a regular taxi service.

Uber and the like will have their problems, just like any other paradigm-breaking venture. They'll work the kinks out and Taxi service will be forced to improve as well, or be destined to the dustbin like CD's and the SONY Walkman.
Don't mistake my comments about Uber for support of licensed taxi services....like nearly all licensing, taxi licensing is a government protected scam, especially in big cities like New York. But no matter who is doing the driving, taxi driving is one of the ten most dangerous occupations in the US, with a higher death rate than law enforcement. Letting a stranger into your vehicle is dangerous, period. Would you let strangers come into your house if they were paying to use your phone or your shower? It's not just about being assaulted or robbed or killed either. You're opening yourself up for all kinds of potential liability.

And when I look at the economics of Uber it doesn't make sense to me for the driver. It may be great for passengers and Uber but Uber drivers are effectively working for less than minimum wage. Also, if you're hauling someone around in your car for money and you get in an accident is your insurance going to pay? How many Uber drivers do you think have policies that cover them for commercial operation? So, if someone wants to drive for Uber and give Uber a pass on actual maintenance, operating, and capital costs, that's up to them. But then I wouldn't drive a cab under any circumstances I can foresee, nor am I interested in any occupation that would require me to deal with the general public.

BTW, last time I checked, Uber provides some insurance coverage, but it is for riders, pedestrians, and other vehicles, NOT for the driver and his vehicle. http://blog.esurance.com/are-you-sure-y ... yMtueddUok

Not a risk I'd take myself (and Uber doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to actually paying for what is says it does cover) but then I'm relatively risk averse.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

ddstuder wrote:Uber is not as bad as y'all think.

Every experience I've had was a positive one. The cars are cleaner and newer than any taxi I have ever been in. It is safer than a cab because they do not accept cash. It is all done through the app so you do not even have to have your Credit card with you.

It does upset me that they have taken this stance, but I will continue to use it. As many have already said, 1.) how would they know if you are carrying? and 2.) I usually only use the service as a designated driver when I return home from concerts and such!

To each their own.
I was not saying the Uber was bad, just relating my limited experience.

My cab ride from the hotel to the wedding venue wasn't the best.

It was a good thing that I have a smart phone as I had to give directions to the cab driver.

He did not have a GPS or know the area. I know that Houston is a big city, but you would think he would have a GPS.

The main reason I haven't tried Uber again is that I rarely have the need for a cab.

As far as their gun policies, I don't care about their wishes. There is always a competitor to take my cash.

The same as you, I would use their services as a designated driver.
NRA Endowment Member

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

This may be interesting since California has just ruled that Uber people are employees and not independent contractors. This is bound to cause huge court battles.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

rotor wrote:This may be interesting since California has just ruled that Uber people are employees and not independent contractors. This is bound to cause huge court battles.
It may be that Uber will no longer do business in California.
NRA Endowment Member

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

rotor wrote:This may be interesting since California has just ruled that Uber people are employees and not independent contractors. This is bound to cause huge court battles.
I heard that it only applied to the one driver who wanted UBER to provide him with healthcare since he was an 'employee'.
A narrowly drawn lawsuit.
You may have the last word.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

According to the Wall Street Journal it does only apply to one employee but it's from Commiefornia so who knows what will happen. I personally had never heard of Uber before this and now would never use them.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

VMI77,

Your perspective on Uber is spot on.

There's a bit of a global movement with people sharing their homes too, that is renting out rooms.

I wouldn't rent out a room in my house if guests were willing to pay an exorbitant amount - too much risk from a number of different perspectives...

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I just got an email "Your Uber Puppies Are Arriving Now"

Apparently they have an option on their phone App to have puppies delivered to your office.

These puppies are available for adoption. I like dogs, but this is a bit weird for me.
NRA Endowment Member

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

The room rent deal is very good. It is very popular worldwide and called Airbnb.

Unlike Uber there are background checks, review history, and insurance. There's been a problem that makes big news, but it's a negligible percent of the stays.

My family and I have had great experiences with it. In a big city it is half the price or less of a hotel-motel and located in neighborhoods that are safer and much quieter.

I would never be an Uber driver, or even an Airbnb landlord due to the fuzzy liability insurance and very real IRS and zoning issues.
There was a report recently that half the rental property in NYC is now owned by remote landlords renting out via Airbnb. Complainers say it beats the city out of hotel taxes and runs up the price of rental property for locals.

Oh, and some cities like San Antonio have made it impossible for Uber and their competitors to operate. Convention city - powerful taxi lobby.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

SA_Steve wrote:The room rent deal is very good. It is very popular worldwide and called Airbnb.

Unlike Uber there are at least some background checks, review history, and insurance.
My family and I have had great experiences with it. In a big city it is half the price or less of a hotel-motel and located in neighborhoods that are safer and much quieter.
I've heard of it....extremely bizarre to me. I can understand the passenger perspective with Uber but I don't get either side of this transaction. Not only would I not want strangers in my home I wouldn't want to stay in the home of strangers. The sanctity of my home and my privacy mean more to me than a little extra money. And once they put their home up for rent there are legal ramifications I doubt very many of the people doing this understand, not to mention that turning their home into an Inn probably invalidated their insurance coverage. I'm not sure how the laws apply here but you'd have to be absolutely nuts to take in "lodgers" in a state like California.

And really, background checks? It only takes one nut to turn your life upside down in a situation like this and for what?....a few hundred dollars?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

Looks like this is the wave of the future.
And lots of the Airbnb renters are either not home or renting their 2nd homes.
Some seem to have quite a few homes, cabins, mobile homes, or apartments, they own or control and some of them are dumps priced accordingly and others are first class.

Couple of my family members are staying on Victoria Island (Canada) this week, 6 days at $140/day. Beautiful place, private cabin.

Like anything in life you have to do your own risk vs. reward calculation. But be sure to keep your eyes open and yourself informed before making a decision, the world is a changing.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

VMI77 wrote:
SA_Steve wrote:The room rent deal is very good. It is very popular worldwide and called Airbnb.

Unlike Uber there are at least some background checks, review history, and insurance.
I've heard of it....extremely bizarre to me. I can understand the passenger perspective with Uber but I don't get either side of this transaction. Not only would I not want strangers in my home I wouldn't want to stay in the home of strangers. The sanctity of my home and my privacy mean more to me than a little extra money. And once they put their home up for rent there are legal ramifications I doubt very many of the people doing this understand, not to mention that turning their home into an Inn probably invalidated their insurance coverage. I'm not sure how the laws apply here but you'd have to be absolutely nuts to take in "lodgers" in a state like California.

And really, background checks? It only takes one nut to turn your life upside down in a situation like this and for what?....a few hundred dollars?
Reading your followup I'm not sure I got the situation correct....are all the Airbnb rentals with absentee landlords? Not that is seems that much less crazy to me for the money involved.....and in some ways it's ever crazier. My parents had rental properties. It was a major hassle and the money wasn't that good. A coworker couldn't sell his previous home for what he wanted and rents it. Again, major hassle and I don't think he's doing much more than break-even on the mortgage payments. The one good thing you cited about Airbnb is less tax revenue for thieving corrupt governments like NYC.

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

Not all are absentee.
I stayed in Houston last week at one, it was a duplex and the owner was in the other half. Did not see him unless I wanted to. Total out of pocket for me was $70/night with fully stocked kitchen and all privileges.

My first choice for my next trip there.

And you are right about renters, one risk Airbnb landlords have is if a renter refuses to move out. Some states and cities have laws that let the renter tie up the property for a month or two. They have used this as a means of extorting a landlord. You just cannot kick out a 'renter' easily in some jurisdictions.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

SA_Steve wrote:Not all are absentee.
I stayed in Houston last week at one, it was a duplex and the owner was in the other half. Did not see him unless I wanted to. Total out of pocket for me was $70/night with fully stocked kitchen and all privileges.

My first choice for my next trip there.

And you are right about renters, one risk Airbnb landlords have is if a renter refuses to move out. Some states and cities have laws that let the renter tie up the property for a month or two. They have used this as a means of extorting a landlord. You just cannot kick out a 'renter' easily in some jurisdictions.
What about linen? You bring your own? Sleeping on some dudes sheets would be a no go for me no matter what else was in the deal. I don't even like staying at motels....add bedbugs to used bed linen.....just gross.

Return to “Off-Topic”