Kentucky Man Shoots Down Drone Hovering Over His Yard

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Kentucky Man Shoots Down Drone Hovering Over His Yard

Post by Deltaboy »

philip964 wrote:http://www.wave3.com/story/30355558/dro ... y-in-court

Shooter 3 Drone 0

Judge threw out the case and threw out the discharging a firearm charge as well. Drone owner says its not over.

Drone owner says he was at 200 feet. I'm just thinking about my clay pigeon shooting, if I didn't get it close, I'm certainly not going to get it far away. What is the effective range of a shot gun?
I call the Drone owner a Liar cause #8 shouldn't take it out at that range. :txflag:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Kentucky Man Shoot Down Drone Hovering Over His Yard

Post by dhoobler »

The Annoyed Man wrote:FAA owns the airspace over your home.
That is sort of true. The FAA defines six classes of airspace, A, B, C, D, E and G. It controls classes A-E. Class G airspace is uncontrolled.

Class G airspace, where is does exist, generally has two ceilings, 700 ft or 1,200 ft. If you live away from an airport, there is a good chance that the airspace above your property, up to at least 700 feet, is not controlled by the FAA. Property near an airport may have controlled airspace all the way to the ground.

BTW, the minimum altitude for a manned aircraft above your house is 1,000 feet above the top of the structure, regardless of airspace classification.
Last edited by dhoobler on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

Diesel42 wrote:Slightly off-topic, but y'all are better at technology than me:
What effect would a laser have on a drone? Could someone permanently damage the camera with a laser?
Curious and thanks in advance,
Nick
I would advise against pointing a laser at any air-borne object. The FAA is aggressively pursuing criminal charges against such activity. It is intended to protect pilots from being blinded by a laser, but the federal government has a tendency to overreach anywhere that it can.

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/report/laserinfo/
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

MadMonkey wrote:
Yep. I fly multirotors professionally and I worry about the day that someone will try to knock a $20k X8 out of the sky because they think I'm spying on their pool :roll:

We get it, technology is scary. But it's also VERY easy to misjudge intentions. For example, one of my cheap rigs will fly fairly autonomously. If I happen to drop a waypoint directly over a sidewalk where your daughter is walking, it's going to pause for a moment while it turns to the next waypoint before moving on. To the average person it's going to look like it's stopping intentionally.

Small FPV racers have another problem. We have tunnel vision with these aircraft, and our only method of checking our surroundings is to look.Many of us have big open fields we fly in, but if it's in a park, someone innocently flying around could EASILY be thought to following a kid on a bicycle that they're not even aware of.

I honestly expect gun owners to have more sense than to immediately start shooting (into the air no less!) at the first sign of something remotely questionable. As CHL holders, we're supposed to be MUCH more mature than that, and yet I've seen hundreds of gun owners supporting this type of idiocy across multiple forums.
As a guy who is now racing FPV quadcopters, I have to tell you that "drones" are quickly being labeled as the "assault weapons of the skies," and if the analogy doesn't give you a little sympathy to what most _law abiding_ drone flyers do, think about this:
1) The FAA is now in the process of requiring registration of drones in a manner that is explicitly forbidden permitted by law, but they are citing "emergency needs" to begin regulating and licensing drones _at the point of sale_. Sound familiar?
2) The media pushes the paranoia of drones often by manufacturing fear (see the recent "investigative report" on KHOU about drones spying on you), without consideration of common sense facts. Sound familiar?
3) There are some dumb kids/young adults who are NOT following proper safety rules when it comes to flying their drones, and it's giving a colossal number of safety-minded drone operators a VERY bad reputation. Sound familiar?
4) Cameras on drones, especially the ones you can buy in most stores, have very poor resolution, FAR worse than your cell phone (and FAR noisier, should anybody be worried about privacy), but, again, people seem to think they have some kind of inherent magical properties that make them more dangerous to your security than anything else. Sound familiar?
5) In an odd twist, the one group that SHOULD be helping fight the FAA's panic push for regulations is the AMA (Aircraft Modeler's Association), which is the largest organization that supports and promotes model aviation. Instead, they're helping the FAA "carve out" special protections for "traditional modes of model flying" so that the majority of their clientele isn't affected (this should sound familiar to those of us that endured the Clinton years of "Assault Weapon" carve outs, particularly the shenanigans of Smith & Wesson and Ruger)

So, whether the drone flyer in this case had nefarious intentions or not (highly unlikely), please keep in mind that there are some interesting blueprints being established here by the FAA that could very well give legal precedent to something like additional regulation of firearms by the ATF.

Just some food for thought.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Pawpaw »

For those that question how far a shotgun can kill:

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

And two other witnesses said they saw the drone below the tree line. That would be well below 130 yards and probably in the 25-50 yard range.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Case has been dismissed by the Judge http://countercurrentnews.com/2016/03/k ... drone-man/
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

GlassG19

Re: Kentucky Man Shoot Down Drone Hovering Over His Yard

Post by GlassG19 »

ShootDontTalk wrote:According to the FAA, none. How ridiculous is that?

I have a better idea than shooting it down. A large butterfly net made with Kevlar impregnated twine, weighted on the edges like a fishing net. Shoot it from a tennis ball launcher type affair. Catch the rascal and make it yours. You could mount it on the wall like a trophy or just wait for the idio....er....person who owns it to show up at your door. :thumbs2:

"rlol" "rlol"
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

OldCannon wrote:
MadMonkey wrote:
Yep. I fly multirotors professionally and I worry about the day that someone will try to knock a $20k X8 out of the sky because they think I'm spying on their pool :roll:

We get it, technology is scary. But it's also VERY easy to misjudge intentions. For example, one of my cheap rigs will fly fairly autonomously. If I happen to drop a waypoint directly over a sidewalk where your daughter is walking, it's going to pause for a moment while it turns to the next waypoint before moving on. To the average person it's going to look like it's stopping intentionally.

Small FPV racers have another problem. We have tunnel vision with these aircraft, and our only method of checking our surroundings is to look.Many of us have big open fields we fly in, but if it's in a park, someone innocently flying around could EASILY be thought to following a kid on a bicycle that they're not even aware of.

I honestly expect gun owners to have more sense than to immediately start shooting (into the air no less!) at the first sign of something remotely questionable. As CHL holders, we're supposed to be MUCH more mature than that, and yet I've seen hundreds of gun owners supporting this type of idiocy across multiple forums.
As a guy who is now racing FPV quadcopters, I have to tell you that "drones" are quickly being labeled as the "assault weapons of the skies," and if the analogy doesn't give you a little sympathy to what most _law abiding_ drone flyers do, think about this:
1) The FAA is now in the process of requiring registration of drones in a manner that is explicitly forbidden permitted by law, but they are citing "emergency needs" to begin regulating and licensing drones _at the point of sale_. Sound familiar?
2) The media pushes the paranoia of drones often by manufacturing fear (see the recent "investigative report" on KHOU about drones spying on you), without consideration of common sense facts. Sound familiar?
3) There are some dumb kids/young adults who are NOT following proper safety rules when it comes to flying their drones, and it's giving a colossal number of safety-minded drone operators a VERY bad reputation. Sound familiar?
4) Cameras on drones, especially the ones you can buy in most stores, have very poor resolution, FAR worse than your cell phone (and FAR noisier, should anybody be worried about privacy), but, again, people seem to think they have some kind of inherent magical properties that make them more dangerous to your security than anything else. Sound familiar?
5) In an odd twist, the one group that SHOULD be helping fight the FAA's panic push for regulations is the AMA (Aircraft Modeler's Association), which is the largest organization that supports and promotes model aviation. Instead, they're helping the FAA "carve out" special protections for "traditional modes of model flying" so that the majority of their clientele isn't affected (this should sound familiar to those of us that endured the Clinton years of "Assault Weapon" carve outs, particularly the shenanigans of Smith & Wesson and Ruger)

So, whether the drone flyer in this case had nefarious intentions or not (highly unlikely), please keep in mind that there are some interesting blueprints being established here by the FAA that could very well give legal precedent to something like additional regulation of firearms by the ATF.

Just some food for thought.
Most excellent good f for thought. Some good analogies.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

How waterproof are they? I might need to water the tops of my trees,with a high pressure water hose and didn't notice that electronic toy hovering over my yard. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://americanintelligencereport.com/j ... n-backyard
Judge Rebecca Ward has cleared charges against William Merideth for destroying a drone which was hovering over his property with a shotgun, claiming the drone was an invasion of privacy, local TV station WDRB-TV reports.

“He had a right to shoot at this drone, and I’m gonna dismiss this charge,” said Ward.
Oops! Looks like Keith B beat me to it about 2 months ago. :tiphat: :oops:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”