Cop Watch Video Recorder

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Glockster
Posts in topic: 5

Cop Watch Video Recorder

Post by Glockster »

I just came across this today and think that it could have some interesting applications to both CC and to the upcoming OC.

https://appsto.re/us/sq6jT.i

"The Cop Watch Video Recorder app provides the easiest way to create and upload videos about police-citizen interactions. Settings are available to have the app begin recording as soon as it is launched, and to upload video to YouTube automatically."

Has anyone here used this before?
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Cop Watch Video Recorder

Post by G.A. Heath »

I am suspect of it. First off it's a .re TLD and that means it's not a standard app store for any device. Secondly the cop-watch bunch are known for their anarchist bent so anything from them is suspect.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tomtexan »

G.A. Heath wrote:I am suspect of it. First off it's a .re TLD and that means it's not a standard app store for any device. Secondly the cop-watch bunch are known for their anarchist bent so anything from them is suspect.
:iagree:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

tomtexan wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:I am suspect of it. First off it's a .re TLD and that means it's not a standard app store for any device. Secondly the cop-watch bunch are known for their anarchist bent so anything from them is suspect.

DocV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DocV »

applestore.re is a redirector url-shortener. The app is listed on the apple store.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cop-wat ... 72626?mt=8

Eric Lamberson

Post by Eric Lamberson »

I would not find that app very useful. Amazingly enough, a police officer typically stops me once every 20 years or so. Then it is usually for a burned out tail light.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

DocV

Post by DocV »

The author seems to be associated with the "Network for the Elimination of Police Violence" (nepv.org) and some of the "Am I free to Go?" folks. Hmmm... Not sure if I would use that app.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

Cop Watch and Cop Block seem to be cut from the same cloth.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Actually my question wasn't related to the politics or such of any organization. Instead I was simply saying that I found the app to be interesting - that it can automatically start recording and upload it to YouTube even if someone attempts to seize your phone and tamper with it. I thought that might be useful in recording an encounter.

And yes, as one above pointed out it is an app in the actual Apple Store.
NRA Life Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

My point was why support someone like that by downloading and using their app.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

DocV

Post by DocV »

Livestreaming is indeed interesting and several popular livestream apps such as ustream, merkat and periscope are available for ios and or android.

Topic author
Glockster

Post by Glockster »

mojo84 wrote:My point was why support someone like that by downloading and using their app.

I guess that my point would then be that I use MS Office...but that doesn't mean that I support Microsoft.
NRA Life Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Glockster wrote:
mojo84 wrote:My point was why support someone like that by downloading and using their app.

I guess that my point would then be that I use MS Office...but that doesn't mean that I support Microsoft.
If you pay for it or they derive benefit from you using it, then you support them. I'm not talking emotional or ideological support.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

If I was the type of guy to either (A) get stopped by the cops frequently or (B) go out looking for a confrontation to record and become YouTube famous, I'm sure this would be the best tool in the shed. As it stands, my interactions with the police are pretty much limited to signing for my semi-annual speeding tickets and they're pretty boring interactions for the most part.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I typically find any url that does not use a common, or generic, TLD suspect. I am glad to see that the appsto.re is owned by apple, but I still question the cop block crowds intentions with the app. In all honesty you do not know what this app can and will do, many anarchists find it easy to cloak themselves in the robes of a libertarian and play that role but they do not respect individual rights and property any more than they respect authority.

Downloading and using this app does support that bunch, even if the app is free and has no advertisements, because they can point to the number of downloads and claim popularity. This is just like OCT claiming every facebook like and the total number of members from their closed groups as individual members of the group. By downloading the app you are helping it become more popular and adding legitimacy to their group.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “Off-Topic”