Fort Jackson, SC: Army tests drug to cut hearing loss.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Fort Jackson, SC: Army tests drug to cut hearing loss.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

http://www.pharmacist.com/army-tests-he ... ifle-range

The above link is just a short summary of the long article which appeared in the
Wall Street Journal's August 22-23, 2015 weekend edition. It was written by
Amy Dockser Marcus. Unfortunately, I couldn't link to the whole article on WSJ.com
since I'm not a subscriber, so I will summarize the article.

The military is a very loud place to be, due to loud motor vehicles, aircraft, small arms
fire, and artillery, to name just some. The VA processes a large number of claims for
hearing impairment.

Kathleen C.M. Campbell is an audiologist and professor at the Southern Illinois University
School of Medicine. She is conducting a trial of a drug called N-acetylcysteine. She is to
enlist as many as 600 soldiers by the time the trial is completed. Consuming this drug
is thought to preserve the hearing of anyone who takes it.

The theory is that prolonged noise causes the body to produce large numbers of free radicals
that can harm tissues such as the hair cells of the inner ear.

While training, it is not uncommon for soldiers to fire 500 rounds from their M16's.
Now consider that drill sergeants have to be around for extended months while they train
their boots to shoot. That's a lot of exposure to noise.

110 decibels = someone shouting directly into your ear.
130 decibels = A jackhammer. Or a jet plane that is only 33 yards away from you.
150 decibels = Firecrackers and firearms.

Although the military does offer some ear protection, some people don't use it in order
to hear their instructions, or to better hear potential threats while on patrol.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

WildBill

Re: Fort Jackson, SC: Army tests drug to cut hearing loss.

Post by WildBill »

Interesting post. Apparently N-acetylcysteine is used for a variety of things: paracetamol overdose, loosening mucus in cystic fibrous and COPD patients.

It is also available over the counter as a supplement. I hope that this experiment works. I know many veterans who lost hearing functions.
NRA Endowment Member

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

It sounds as if it will be trialed as a preventative measure, not restorative.

My concern with any treatment along these lines is: what other damage may be done by limiting the free radicals in the body?
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

PBratton wrote:It sounds as if it will be trialed as a preventative measure, not restorative.

My concern with any treatment along these lines is: what other damage may be done by limiting the free radicals in the body?
Some people think that free radicals are what cause cancer and ageing and are not desirable in the body.
NRA Endowment Member

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

WildBill wrote: Some people think that free radicals are what cause cancer and ageing and are not desirable in the body.
This was the basis for a comical sequence when James Bond (Sean Connery IIRC) was brought back from retirement and had to undergo a training and diet regimen with a fussy, uptodate on the latest fads trainer. When Miss Moneypenny asked him what his assignment was, he whispered "eliminate all free radicals." :mrgreen:

More seriously, would be great if it works out. Would be better if it were restorative as well as preventative, but that's a tougher nut.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

"eliminate all free radicals"....Did 007 mean the cancer-causing kind, or the political kind? :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mojo84 »

OCT=Free radicals

Man, I was hoping this would be a restorative treatment. Unfortunately, too many rock concerts for me and my wife in our teen years did a number on our ears. Not near as noble as military service.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

:bigear: Huh? Didn't catch that...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Return to “Off-Topic”