Boycott House of Blues-Deputy disarmed

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Javier730
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Boycott House of Blues-Deputy disarmed

Post by Javier730 »

MONGOOSE wrote:Nonapplical heh. You are the one whinning about not have been given "special"treatment and allowed to carry even though it is legally prohibited ( you special?). I believe everyone including you should be allowed to carry a weapon that has been legally obtained. I don't think Nyone should be regulating my Constitutional rights. However, I also support property rights. If a property owner legally prohibits firearms....so be it. You are the one who brought up you "boys in blue club". You think you are in a special club? How dare you decide who and where you will work because your feelings were hurt. You work and are paid by the taxpayer, if you can make them money, put on your big boy pants and do the job. You telling me that your family wouldn't be your first priority to protect if you are armed and they are with you?.....guess what.....I don't blame you......I'd be the same way. Bottom line....you are just a regular person who happens to have choose to be a Police Officer.
Like someone mentioned before, where did the popcorn smiley go?
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 38

Post by Taypo »

nightmare69 wrote:No LEOs can work there anymore per department policy. They have been put on the restricted list. The union is working on negotiations with HOBs but it looks like a dead end.
"rlol"

I'm sure HOB is all in a tizzy about who they can find to wave wands around now. Might as well close the door.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 30

Post by EEllis »

MONGOOSE wrote:Nonapplical heh. You are the one whinning about not have been given "special"treatment and allowed to carry even though it is legally prohibited ( you special?). I believe everyone including you should be allowed to carry a weapon that has been legally obtained. I don't think Nyone should be regulating my Constitutional rights. However, I also support property rights. If a property owner legally prohibits firearms....so be it. You are the one who brought up you "boys in blue club". You think you are in a special club? How dare you decide who and where you will work because your feelings were hurt. You work and are paid by the taxpayer, if you can make them money, put on your big boy pants and do the job. You telling me that your family wouldn't be your first priority to protect if you are armed and they are with you?.....guess what.....I don't blame you......I'd be the same way. Bottom line....you are just a regular person who happens to have choose to be a Police Officer.
Wow. First you might want to specify who you are speaking about. It could be the officer in the op's original example or a member here. If it is a member it's a bit confrontational. Second no one ever, not the original cop, not any members here, said that the HOB couldn't keep all gun out. Third they are "in a special club" because there is a difference in law with their carry of firearms. Fourth of course they get to decide where they work. Does somehow becoming law enforcement mean they loose all rights to control their own lives? On top of that the reference was to off duty work and of course cops get to decide where they work off duty. This is not about overtime work at a ball game where the department assigns them. It is a live music venue where they actually have to jump thru so hoops in order to be able to work. And yes if they upset cops they can end up having trouble finding officers to work or even have departments refuse to grant permits to officers thus preventing any cops from that dept from working there. Fifth even if his first priority would be his family that doesn't mean that somehow that negates officer who still have and will continue to take action to protect the public and enforce the law even when off duty.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Goldspurs wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:No LEOs can work there anymore per department policy. They have been put on the restricted list. The union is working on negotiations with HOBs but it looks like a dead end.
Wow. I never though I would side with a business that prohibits weapons, but the fact that government employees are strong arming them leaves me no choice. This is why people don't trust government officials. A taxpayer funded organization has no place blacklisting a private business for practicing their rights. :grumble
So you want to make police work liquor stores and topless bars? I am sure they have a long list of different places they can't work for any number of reasons but to you the refusal to work someplace off duty is strong arming?

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Javier730 wrote:
Like someone mentioned before, where did the popcorn smiley go?
Ahh, here it is Image
― Horace Mann

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Where'd you find it??

MONGOOSE
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by MONGOOSE »

Well, I must apologize. I did confuse the posters. As far as confrontioal....grow up. There is no special club ( except imaginary by limmings like you. As far as deciding where you work....I own a construction company. If you work for me, I tell you to square a footing.....you say no.....I fire you. When you choose to work for someone you take orders. you don't decide what you do. As I said, I don't blame h if his first priority is his family.

Goldspurs
Posts in topic: 33

Post by Goldspurs »

EEllis wrote:
Goldspurs wrote:
Wow. I never though I would side with a business that prohibits weapons, but the fact that government employees are strong arming them leaves me no choice. This is why people don't trust government officials. A taxpayer funded organization has no place blacklisting a private business for practicing their rights. :grumble
So you want to make police work liquor stores and topless bars? I am sure they have a long list of different places they can't work for any number of reasons but to you the refusal to work someplace off duty is strong arming?
Nope. It's strong arming because he claimed the actual police department (you know, a government entity) blacklisted them due the business practicing their rights. Let's put the shoe on the other foot. Would you be ok with the police department blacklisting your hypothetical business because you choose to allow firearms? If police acting as private citizens want to boycott then go for it. It's the tax payer funded organization that has no place doing so.

Also, please don't put words in my mouth about my wanting police officers to work at certain locations. That is a pathetic argument.
"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into
prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying
to lift himself up by the handle." -Sir Winston Churchill

Goldspurs
Posts in topic: 33

Post by Goldspurs »

MONGOOSE wrote:Well, I must apologize. I did confuse the posters. As far as confrontioal....grow up. There is no special club ( except imaginary by limmings like you. As far as deciding where you work....I own a construction company. If you work for me, I tell you to square a footing.....you say no.....I fire you. When you choose to work for someone you take orders. you don't decide what you do. As I said, I don't blame h if his first priority is his family.
Let's keep name calling out of this. We are all better than that.
"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into
prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying
to lift himself up by the handle." -Sir Winston Churchill

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

MONGOOSE wrote:Well, I must apologize. I did confuse the posters. As far as confrontioal....grow up. There is no special club ( except imaginary by limmings like you. As far as deciding where you work....I own a construction company. If you work for me, I tell you to square a footing.....you say no.....I fire you. When you choose to work for someone you take orders. you don't decide what you do. As I said, I don't blame h if his first priority is his family.
TexasCHLforum Rules:

2. No personal attacks on other members - NONE! We can be respectful even in disagreement. If you're talking about the person rather than the issue, then the post will be deleted.
― Horace Mann

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Since Dallas Morning News seems to have a thing for gun rights these days, maybe someone should point them in HOB's direction.

talltex
Posts in topic: 8

Post by talltex »

EEllis wrote:
Goldspurs wrote:
NO ONE on here said anything about "making them work" anywhere...this discussion has been about an off duty LEO wanting to be able to carry his weapon in a particular business that doesn't allow it. NO department "makes" it's officers work anywhere off duty...the officers consider working security off duty as a big perk and a lot of them choose to do so. That wasn't the case in this instance. The officer was just going out with his family and friends to a bar...not working there. Goldspurs' comments were made in reference to Nightmare 69's statement that the Police department put HOB on a "restricted list" that off duty officers couldn't work security there until "the union" works out an agreement with them. When any union representing a certain class or group gets a public taxpayer funded government agency to blacklist any business, I think that qualifies as "strong arm tactics" to most people.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Yeah but we are talking about an extra job, like if you decided your guys had to work nights for some third party and they had no choice in the matter

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

talltex wrote:
EEllis wrote:
Goldspurs wrote:
NO ONE on here said anything about "making them work" anywhere...this discussion has been about an off duty LEO wanting to be able to carry his weapon in a particular business that doesn't allow it. NO department "makes" it's officers work anywhere off duty...the officers consider working security off duty as a big perk and a lot of them choose to do so. That wasn't the case in this instance. The officer was just going out with his family and friends to a bar...not working there. Goldspurs' comments were made in reference to Nightmare 69's statement that the Police department put HOB on a "restricted list" that off duty officers couldn't work security there until "the union" works out an agreement with them. When any union representing a certain class or group gets a public taxpayer funded government agency to blacklist any business, I think that qualifies as "strong arm tactics" to most people.
Mongoose did

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Goldspurs wrote:
EEllis wrote:
Goldspurs wrote:
Nope. It's strong arming because he claimed the actual police department (you know, a government entity) blacklisted them due the business practicing their rights. Let's put the shoe on the other foot. Would you be ok with the police department blacklisting your hypothetical business because you choose to allow firearms? If police acting as private citizens want to boycott then go for it. It's the tax payer funded organization that has no place doing so.

Also, please don't put words in my mouth about my wanting police officers to work at certain locations. That is a pathetic argument.
They have always done it for any number of reasons. Sure you might not be able to hire cops as security but you are not prevented from hiring security as security. Never struck me as a big deal

Return to “Off-Topic”