Texas Hunting Regulation Question

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 4

Texas Hunting Regulation Question

Post by Jumping Frog »

I am not really familiar with Texas hunting regulations, hence asking for your expertise.

I know a young (adult) man who has been invited by his friend to hunt feral pigs, poisonous snakes, and "other pests" on his friend's Dad's land.

Questions:
1. Is a hunting license required for a guest of a landowner to hunt feral pigs? I know there is no season/bag limit. In one place it says a hunting license is required for feral pigs in another it says no license is required for depredating hogs.

2. Is it legal to hunt poisonous and non-poisonous snakes? They don't seem to be listed as either a game or non-game animal.

3. If it is legal to hunt snakes, is a hunting license required?

4. What are some "other pests" that are legal to hunt without a license?

Thanks!
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Texas Hunting Regulation Question

Post by Beiruty »

1. Yes, from TX TPWD
How do I hunt feral hogs?

Although feral hogs are not classified as game animals, a hunting license is required to hunt them. Feral hogs are very intelligent and considered to be challenging quarry. Many hunters consider the long tusks and mean appearance a genuine trophy, in addition to the quality of meat. They also provide a great off-season challenge and opportunities to hone hunting skills and spend time in the field.

There are many hunting techniques used, including stand hunting over a baited area, quite often incidental to white-tailed deer hunting. Stalking or still hunting over baited areas and areas indicating recent hog activity, such as wallows, are commonly used techniques. Corn or milo, often soaked in water and allowed to sour and then buried underground is good bait.

Night hunting with a spotlight is often used; however, the local game warden must be notified beforehand. (There are certain laws which prohibit using artificial light where deer are known to range.) Hunting with well-trained dogs is another hunting method utilized and can be very exciting. Because the feral hog has such a tough hide the best rifle calibers to use should be a .243 or greater to prevent wounding and loss of the animal. Bowhunting, muzzleloading, and handguns are also popular among sportsmen to hunt feral hogs.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

Not sure about snakes, but in Texas Hunter ed, they promote not to shoot snakes.

More
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outd ... er-species
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jago668 »

If at all possible talk to the local game warden. I know where my parents live they were turning a blind eye to people killing wild hogs. Simply because they were such a nuisance and destroying crops. I mention it simply as an option.
NRA Benefactor Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

All snakes are beneficial - Please don't kill them unless you absolutely have to.

Venomous snakes when found in my yard, generally cotton mouth and/or coral I usually re-locate with a long pole grabber.

However, one very small coral snake looked like it wanted to get in the house through the brick drain hole and I very reluctantly killed him.

Be aware, over 90% of bites happen when snakes are handled and not when you're simply in their range when you walk by them. As I've a fair amount of snake handling I've never been bitten. So, if you want to relocate a snake, be VERY cautious.

Another method to get them out of your yard is to bang a long handled shovel on the ground near them as a motivator to herd them out and no I'm not talking about them killing with a shovel...

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

I didnt see anyone mentioning this. But a hunter safety course is required.

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

lildave40 wrote:I didnt see anyone mentioning this. But a hunter safety course is required.
Yes, agreed. This person took a hunter safety course about 8-9 years ago, so is eligible to purchase a license.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Abraham wrote:All snakes are beneficial - Please don't kill them unless you absolutely have to.
I completely agree and have expressed this.

However, young men sometimes do not listen to older, possibly wiser, men. :roll:

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Hunting hogs as meat and sport do require a hunting license, noted above.

However, the main hunting regulations overview page of the TX website states that no hunting license is required for nuisance fur bearing animals, depredating hogs or coyotes.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Abraham wrote:All snakes are beneficial - Please don't kill them unless you absolutely have to.
I completely agree and have expressed this.

However, young men sometimes do not listen to older, possibly wiser, men. :roll:
I despise snakes of all sizes and shapes, but I'll agree with this. They definitely have a place.

That being said I killed one a couple years back that would not take a hint. Three nights straight I came home from work to find a 3 or 4 footer wrapped around my front step railing. Two straight nights I peeled him off and walked him to the neighboring field where (I assume) he came from. The third night...didn't have a happy ending for him.

Return to “Off-Topic”