Breaking: Entire Los Angeles school system shut down due to threat.....

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Breaking: Entire Los Angeles school system shut down due to threat.....

Post by Skiprr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pariah3j wrote:They are probably going by the IP range of the server/host that sent the email - now that can be spoofed but if it was a Kid hoping to get out of Finals - probably not spoofed.
This. It is possible to track IP with email.
It's pretty clear that they think the threat is credible enough to take what is evidently unprecedented action. There was a threat earlier in the day to the New York schools, but no action was taken; and the L.A. reps said that they receive threats "frequently." So it's a fair guess that this wasn't a kid's hoax.

Anonymizer proxy servers and throwaway email accounts are free, easy to use, and take only a minute to setup. That's why I scratched my head. If the threat came from a potential, credible, terror source, I wouldn't expect it to have an auditable point-of-origin that could be identified quickly.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Skiprr wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pariah3j wrote:They are probably going by the IP range of the server/host that sent the email - now that can be spoofed but if it was a Kid hoping to get out of Finals - probably not spoofed.
It's pretty clear that they think the threat is credible enough to take what is evidently unprecedented action. There was a threat earlier in the day to the New York schools, but no action was taken; and the L.A. reps said that they receive threats "frequently." So it's a fair guess that this wasn't a kid's hoax.

Anonymizer proxy servers and throwaway email accounts are free, easy to use, and take only a minute to setup. That's why I scratched my head. If the threat came from a potential, credible, terror source, I wouldn't expect it to have an auditable point-of-origin that could be identified quickly.
Well, barry told us ISIS was the JV team so you just never know what mistakes the second string is going to make.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VMI77 »

New York City officials say they received the same threat that led to the closure of the Los Angeles school system but quickly concluded that it was a hoax.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday morning that he was 'absolutely convinced' there was no danger to schoolchildren in New York.

New York Police Commissioner William Bratton said he thought Los Angeles officials overreacted by deciding to close the nation's second-largest school system.

He said a school superintendent received the threatening email Tuesday morning.

Bratton said the person who wrote the note claimed to be a jihadist but made errors that made it clear the person was a prankster.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hreat.html

The libs in NYC aren't just smarter than us rubes in flyover country, they're smarter than the libs on the left coast too. "rlol"
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

striker55
Posts in topic: 1

Post by striker55 »

Fox News, Varney quick to say it benefits Trump and the republicans. They can't stay away from politics.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Skiprr wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Well, barry told us ISIS was the JV team so you just never know what mistakes the second string is going to make.

Don't forget "contained", "on the run" and "being decimated". ;-)
Last edited by mojo84 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mojo84 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Skiprr wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Don't forget "contained", "on the run" and "being dessimated". ;-)
Wait....... "Desiccated" (dried out), or "decimated" (9 in 10 still standing)? "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Skiprr wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Don't forget "contained", "on the run" and "being dessimated". ;-)
Wait....... "Desiccated" (dried out), or "decimated" (9 in 10 still standing)? "rlol"
Autocorrect changes the right words to the wrong words then ignores my mispellings. Go figure. :oops:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Richbirdhunter wrote:640,000 kids told to stay home. There are many more school districts in Los Angeles county that are not effected.
Would like to see crime stats for the next 24 hours... Spike?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

https://twitter.com/_PatJohnson_/status ... 8768692224
Nerd
‏@NimbusThree

@LASchools How can you ask parents to show ID to pick up their children when so many are undocumented immigrants without any ID? #LAUSD
Thy only lose ID if voting?
LAUSD requiring parents to show ID to pick up their kids .... RACISTS !!!
Apparently photo ID gets lost around Voting days, but is readily available to pick up kids.

VoterID

NY didn't think the impoverished would have ID, so they stayed in school

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

The source of the threat has been identified:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

... and that's how terror works.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:640,000 kids told to stay home. There are many more school districts in Los Angeles county that are not effected.
Would like to see crime stats for the next 24 hours... Spike?

That will be interesting to see
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If all it takes to cripple a school district with over 600,000 kids is an email or phone call, then terrorists can win without firing a shot.

Chas.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Charles L. Cotton wrote:If all it takes to cripple a school district with over 600,000 kids is an email or phone call, then terrorists can win without firing a shot.

Chas.
Yep.

#TINVOWOOT

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Skiprr »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:If all it takes to cripple a school district with over 600,000 kids is an email or phone call, then terrorists can win without firing a shot.

Chas.
This. And that's exactly what was achieved today.

Turns out that the emails sent to the NY and LA school districts were similar, and both routed through the same IP address in Germany. (LA Police Chief Charlie Beck has recanted earlier statements that the email's origination was Frankfurt, saying that it apparently routed through Germany but may have originated elsewhere, even Los Angeles.) FBI sources told Fox News that both they and the LAPD had deemed the threat "non-credible"; an opinion overridden by the Los Angeles Unified School District.

So not only did Ramon Cortines's action this morning unnerve well over a million parents and students, cause chaos and an unimaginable cost--in lost time and productivity with parents trying to arrange getting their children back home and supervised as needed, and with LEO mobilization--but it also set the stage for two possible scenarios in the upcoming days. The first is copycats thinking what a hoot it would be cause the shutdown of a large school district (or hospital or government building) and have the action dominate the news channels for hours. If the individual responsible isn't apprehended and jailed quickly, I fear we'll see more institutional soft-targets become similarly hoaxed the next few weeks.

The second is more frightening: a "cry wolf" phenomenon. The LA school district made a mistake writ large because of the scale and, as details about the full impact of the decision come out, they are probably going to face more public criticism...and not just from New York. Will they have raised the effective threshold for "threat level" before expansive, preventative action is taken in the future? If the next, or third, or tenth threat really is credible, will the next person-in-charge be afraid to pull a "Ramon Cortines" and overreact?

Whether today's "threat" was the work of some juvenile with a keyboard (most likely, I think) or not, ISIS must be loving LA's response. The second largest city in the country suffered a significant disruption, and ISIS didn't even have to lift a finger.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “Off-Topic”