California Wants to Ban Encrypted Smartphones

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Re: California Wants to Ban Encrypted Smartphones

Post by ScottDLS »

Taypo wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Taypo wrote:
Solaris wrote:Within in 10 years, all cellphones will have a backdoor for GOVT access. Get your pre-ban while you can. I am amazed Apple has held out so long.
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but there's nothing on your cell now that can't be accessed by the provider or an agency with the tech.
My Android is memory encrypted with 256 bit cipher. Can you point to a case where someone has cracked with a brute force attack?
I'm not talking about brute force. I'm talking about avoiding the phone altogether. Provider side will provide records, locations, texts, emails, etc. Honeypots or any of the other methods for pulling down voice.

Here's an example for you: The Couch kid was busted when mom ordered a pizza delivered. How do you think they got that info?
Of course the NSA sucks up all the non-encrypted info over the air, but what about my photo collection of my SBR's and full autos, and the encrypted whatsapp msgs and RedPhone calls? All this stuff's encrypted end to end. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Taypo »

I'll concede RedPhone :)

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Taypo »

Solaris wrote:
Taypo wrote:
Here's an example for you: The Couch kid was busted when mom ordered a pizza delivered. How do you think they got that info?
I hate to break it to you, but this had nothing to do with a encrypted cell phone.
You're absolutely correct. It had everything to do with GOVT backdoors...and we don't have to wait 10 years for it.

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

I wanted a black phone but didn't want to pay for it. This thread has at least taught me how to encrypt my phone.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Solaris
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Solaris »

Taypo wrote:
Solaris wrote:
Taypo wrote:
I hate to break it to you, but this had nothing to do with a encrypted cell phone.
You're absolutely correct. It had everything to do with GOVT backdoors...and we don't have to wait 10 years for it.
There is no backdoor to do this.

Since day 1 any carrier could track an ESN to a cell tower. With GPS enabled phones they can track it to within a few feet of where it is.

Pablo Escobar, Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, and Couch are among those to not understand this and be located.

Again, all of this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the topic - encrypted cellphones.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

WildBill wrote:
Abraham wrote:Ah, maybe I'm just being complacent, but I don't care what California does anymore that I care what Albania does...
First of all, I don't think it will pass. At least I really hope not.
But if it did it could cause some issues with phone manufacturers having to make California Compliant phones.
It would be a logistical nightmare to try to keep track of them, so a company might decide to make all of their phones California compliant.
You would hear a lot of flack about out of state phones from Nevada, Arizona and Oregon. All them other state illegal phones being brought into California.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

"rlol" Would they grandfather the "PRE-BAN" phones and have you register them. Could your spouse get a phone restraining order if you talk too loud?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

I think people are getting confused over data on the cellphone, vs records that can be found via the carrier.

If I sent a text to Obama saying, "I'm going to kill you" then sure, T-mobile can find that text even if I destroyed my phone.

Now, if I had video of a crime being committed on my phone, but never sent that video anywhere, if my phone was encrypted, there was no way anyone could get that video without decrypting the phone. The carrier cannot do anything to help get that video.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

ScottDLS wrote:
Taypo wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Taypo wrote:
Solaris wrote:Within in 10 years, all cellphones will have a backdoor for GOVT access. Get your pre-ban while you can. I am amazed Apple has held out so long.
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but there's nothing on your cell now that can't be accessed by the provider or an agency with the tech.
My Android is memory encrypted with 256 bit cipher. Can you point to a case where someone has cracked with a brute force attack?
I'm not talking about brute force. I'm talking about avoiding the phone altogether. Provider side will provide records, locations, texts, emails, etc. Honeypots or any of the other methods for pulling down voice.

Of course the NSA sucks up all the non-encrypted info over the air, but what about my photo collection of my SBR's and full autos, and the encrypted whatsapp msgs and RedPhone calls? All this stuff's encrypted end to end. :biggrinjester:
Once the NSA sucks up all this information I am certain that they encrypt it before they store it on their own servers. :rules: :smash:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”