Houston Grand Jury indicts pair behind Planned Parenthood videos

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 8

Houston Grand Jury indicts pair behind Planned Parenthood videos

Post by philip964 »

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 782865.php

The Houston District Attorney and the grand jury investigated and found Planned Parenthood was innocent of any crime, but that the evidence led the grand jury to indict the undercover anti abortion folks. Apparently they are being charged with soliciting baby body parts and I think setting up a fake business to mislead the Planned Parenthood folks.

Surprising outcome.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Houston Grand Jury indicts pair behind Planned Parenthood videos

Post by anygunanywhere »

philip964 wrote:http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 782865.php

The Houston District Attorney and the grand jury investigated and found Planned Parenthood was innocent of any crime, but that the evidence led the grand jury to indict the undercover anti abortion folks. Apparently they are being charged with soliciting baby body parts and I think setting up a fake business to mislead the Planned Parenthood folks.

Surprising outcome.
A truly sad day for Texas.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 8

Post by philip964 »

I went to Reddit and found a similar link. I went to the comments, there were already 68. All were cheering, many said for once they were proud of Houston and Texas. There was not a single unfavorable comment.

The District Attorney is Devon Anderson. She is the widow of the previous district attorney who died in office and was appointed by the Governor. She may have been reelected one time and stands for reelection in 2016.

"New York State chief judge Sol Wachtler was famously quoted by Tom Wolfe in The Bonfire of the Vanities that "a grand jury would 'indict a ham sandwich,' if that's what you wanted.""

No doubt this will have a chilling effect on undercover videos in Houston.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

Poetic justice. You can't break the law just because you disagree with something, no matter how repugnant. Regardless of politics, abortion is legal, frauding federal documents is not.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

goose
Posts in topic: 10

Post by goose »

oohrah wrote:Poetic justice. You can't break the law just because you disagree with something, no matter how repugnant. Regardless of politics, abortion is legal, frauding federal documents is not.
This was my thought as well. If we (generalization of conservatives) claim to be the party/group of integrity, I didn't see a lot of integrity in the editing/making of those videos.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

mojo84
Posts in topic: 17

Post by mojo84 »

goose wrote:
oohrah wrote:Poetic justice. You can't break the law just because you disagree with something, no matter how repugnant. Regardless of politics, abortion is legal, frauding federal documents is not.
This was my thought as well. If we (generalization of conservatives) claim to be the party/group of integrity, I didn't see a lot of integrity in the editing/making of those videos.
Do you realize they also posted the entire unedited versions of the videos?

I agree, this is a sad time for Texas. If what they did is illegal, then every undercover police and reporting operation needs to be shut down and the perpetrators indicted.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

How does any news organization do undercover investigations then? Remember that NBC show where they used to lure child molesters to a house, then the reporter (Chris Hanson?) would walk out and say "Please have a seat over there"? Didn't they pay underaged girls to solicit those guys? How is this any different? Why is Chris Hanson not in jail?

And how can you be indicted for buying baby parts but not for selling them?

There's got to be more to this. If not, turn out the lights because humanity is done here.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

That is assuming they actually did break the law. The grand jury does not make that determination.

They also should not ignore another party breaking the law because it isn't politically correct.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Scott, Houston is not the Houston it was when I moved from there 20 years ago. The progressive liberals have overtaken the city and fundamentally changed it similar to what Obama has done to the country.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Nothing can justify killing of the innocent unborn children. Try as hard as you want, use any means or reasoning. Nothing. No law or court decision can justify killing babies.

Yes, civil disobedience IS justified when defending the innocent. Civil disobedience was the main weapon during the civil rights movement.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

goose

Post by goose »

mojo84 wrote:
goose wrote:

I agree, this is a sad time for Texas. If what they did is illegal, then every undercover police and reporting operation needs to be shut down and the perpetrators indicted.
I do know that they released those videos, and they weren't nearly as damning as the edited ones made them out to be. But the "main stream media" didn't really cover those videos, did they? Spin always sucks when the other team uses it. No one minds so much when "out team" uses it. I think that Philippians 4:8 applies here for me. Yes, I realize quoting scriptures is incredibly ineffective in most debates because a person can find one to say just about whatever they want if they dig far enough. But my point in my original post still stands. Let us be honorable. Let us be pure. let us be of good repute. Let us be true. Let us be worthy of praise. A paraphrase of Phil. 4:8.

_IF_ police and reporters and breaking the law or possibly breaking the law, I hope that lots and lots of grand juries are looking into them. Undercover does not automatically mean fraudulent or illegal.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

mojo84 wrote:
goose wrote:

Exactly. How is that an undercover sting on prostitution take place with either the officer as a client or provider of services, as sometimes is the case, be legal, but these videos are not?
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Whether they broke the law or not is irrelevant to the indictment. The purpose is to bankrupt them with a trial. The DA may want a conviction for the record but mere bankruptcy will still be a win. If the left had used the exact same tactics to go after a pro-life group there would be no indictment.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

goose wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
goose wrote:

I do know that they released those videos, and they weren't nearly as damning as the edited ones made them out to be. But the "main stream media" didn't really cover those videos, did they? Spin always sucks when the other team uses it. No one minds so much when "out team" uses it. I think that Philippians 4:8 applies here for me. Yes, I realize quoting scriptures is incredibly ineffective in most debates because a person can find one to say just about whatever they want if they dig far enough. But my point in my original post still stands. Let us be honorable. Let us be pure. let us be of good repute. Let us be true. Let us be worthy of praise. A paraphrase of Phil. 4:8.

_IF_ police and reporters and breaking the law or possibly breaking the law, I hope that lots and lots of grand juries are looking into them. Undercover does not automatically mean fraudulent or illegal.
The full length videos were posted also. It's not their fault the media only carried the edited videos. I do not believe the edited versions made it any more inflammatory or was done in a manner to change the message. It was done to show the parts that had the discussions about the illegal activity. Very few people would sit through several hours of video. However, I did and did not find anything misleading about what Planned Murderhood was doing.

If you want to quote the bible, how about quoting the parts about murder of the innocent and the unborn in the mother's womb.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

MechAg94 wrote:
That is assuming they actually did break the law. The grand jury does not make that determination.

They also should not ignore another party breaking the law because it isn't politically correct.
For all the people condemning the indicted or cheering for Planned Parenthood, this should give you pause. The prosecuting attorney who obtained the indictment is an active board member of Planned Parenthood of Houston. That's not exactly an impartial public official.

I suspect the charges will either be thrown out or they will win at trial. AG Paxton also said the state will continue to investigate Planned Parenthood.

UPDATE: Here's a link: http://www.theamericanmirror.com/report ... rd-member/
Last edited by baldeagle on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “Off-Topic”