Gravity Waves

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 16

Re: Gravity Waves

Post by WildBill »

Beiruty wrote:General Relativity and the concept of time, that can shrink, elongate and stop is all relative. Einstein selected the speed of light as a constant. However, speed is a measurement of movement of an object relative to fixed frame of coordinates(space) per unit of time. However, space also is not fixed and can be wrapped. So, how come speed of light is fixed and not the unit of time??!!!

In addition, Einstein says light cannot escape a blackhole, so what it means light velocity is 0 and not the C, or time is always is 0 or both are 0.
I believe you are talking about Special Relativity.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Lynyrd wrote:Space/time? I once had a deep philosophical discussion about the concept of time. In it's best form, a definition cannot use words that derive their meaning from the word being defined. So, how do you define time. Seconds, minutes, hours, days, years are all units of time. But to give a good definition, you cannot use terms that derive their meaning from the concept of "time." So how does one define time? During that philosophical discussion, we pondered as we imbibed. Ponder as well my friends. We came up with a definition. Can you? This pertains to Einstein's theory directly, or space and time would not have a correlation.
I would define time as the duration between events. But then how do you define duration without referring to time? :headscratch
NRA Endowment Member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Beiruty »

WildBill wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Special Relativity and the concept of time, that can shrink, elongate and stop is all relative. Einstein selected the speed of light as a constant. However, speed is a measurement of movement of an object relative to fixed frame of coordinates(space) per unit of time. However, space also is not fixed and can be wrapped. So, how come speed of light is fixed and not the unit of time??!!!

In addition, Einstein says light cannot escape a blackhole, so what it means light velocity is 0 and not the C, or time is always is 0 or both are 0.

I would define time as the duration between events. But then how do you define duration without referring to time?
Time, is simply d/v :biggrinjester:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lynyrd »

WildBill wrote: I would define time as the duration between events. But then how do you define duration without referring to time? :headscratch
And that is exactly the problem with DEFINING time.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Beiruty wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Special Relativity and the concept of time, that can shrink, elongate and stop is all relative. Einstein selected the speed of light as a constant. However, speed is a measurement of movement of an object relative to fixed frame of coordinates(space) per unit of time. However, space also is not fixed and can be wrapped. So, how come speed of light is fixed and not the unit of time??!!!

I would define time as the duration between events. But then how do you define duration without referring to time?
Time, is simply d/v :biggrinjester:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Lynyrd wrote:
WildBill wrote: I would define time as the duration between events. But then how do you define duration without referring to time? :headscratch
I need to imbibe some liquid refreshment. :cheers2:
This whole thread is taking up too much of my time. :leaving
NRA Endowment Member

Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dadtodabone »

WildBill wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:Space/time? I once had a deep philosophical discussion about the concept of time. In it's best form, a definition cannot use words that derive their meaning from the word being defined. So, how do you define time. Seconds, minutes, hours, days, years are all units of time. But to give a good definition, you cannot use terms that derive their meaning from the concept of "time." So how does one define time? During that philosophical discussion, we pondered as we imbibed. Ponder as well my friends. We came up with a definition. Can you? This pertains to Einstein's theory directly, or space and time would not have a correlation.
I would define time as the duration between events. But then how do you define duration without referring to time? :headscratch
Proper time or coordinate time? Observers?
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lynyrd »

WildBill wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
"rlol"
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Dadtodabone wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Proper time or coordinate time? Observers?
Good to see you posting Dadtodabone! Heard any good music lately? :biggrinjester:
NRA Endowment Member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Beiruty »

Lynyrd wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
"rlol"
We run out of Soda, time for some coffee.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

misterlarry
Posts in topic: 1

Post by misterlarry »

Warp 9! Make it so.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Tracker wrote:Now you guys know you are jacking with the anti-2A lurkers stereotype of you being nothing more the then knuckle dragging babba joe six packs, don't yea?
They need jacking with worse than anybody I've ever seen. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

I was once asked if a car was traveling at the speed of light and turned on it's headlights would any light escape? I answered with a question. Is the car in forward or reverse? The guy moved on to the next question? :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

puma guy wrote:

I was once asked if a car was traveling at the speed of light and turned on it's headlights would any light escape? I answered with a question. Is the car in forward or reverse? The guy moved on to the next question? :lol:
As for black holes I don't know if anything can escape. I do know that Borger, Texas is the closest I've ever been to a black hole. I spent a week there one night.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:
puma guy wrote:

As for black holes I don't know if anything can escape. I do know that Borger, Texas is the closest I've ever been to a black hole. I spent a week there one night.
Once, I was stuck in Lodi, again. Does that count?
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”