A Question for Motorcycle Owners...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
txglock21
Posts in topic: 2

A Question for Motorcycle Owners...

Post by txglock21 »

Do you work on your own bike or get it repaired by a bike mechanic? Here's the reason I ask... I am thinking of buying a 2002 Honda Shadow from a coworker and the ONLY thing wrong with it is it has a blown head gasket. The price is way low and I really don't want to miss out on it. I just don't know if I could repair it myself without messing it more than it is or just take the savings I would be getting at such a cheap price and having a pro repair it. I have worked on my bikes before (in my younger days), but have never had to pull the motor before. Any thoughts on what I should do? :bigear:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A Question for Motorcycle Owners...

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I used to do a lot of my own work on my bikes, but when it came to stuff like boring and honing cylinders to take an over-bore high compression piston kit, I farmed that out to a pro. But I have replaced head gaskets, base gaskets, oil-pan gaskets, clutches, cables, brakes, wheels, suspension, etc., etc.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

The pessimist in me says that you really can't say that the only thing wrong is the head gasket - until you replace that gasket & ride the bike for a while. Hard to say what other issues will be lurking until you can ride it.

I'm not saying you shouldn't tackle this, but be a little guarded about the scope of what you might be taking on.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

I would agree. If you get a screaming deal on it, I would send it to a pro for them to go through completely.

The odds of other bits and bobs being broken are fairly high and you never know what kinda sinkhole you will have bought into.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I would wrench it myself back in my younger days. Now I'm too old, fat, and out of shape to be down on the floor with a wrench in my hand so I take it to the shop.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Being almost 14 yrs old, and knowing how bikes don't age well when they are not ridden, I would factor in a larger bill than just head gasket.
Like how are the tires? The rubber lines? Is the Carb all gunked up? Condition of the battery? etc... how long has it been sitting?

I would imagine that a Shadow would be one of the easier bikes to change a head gasket.
But since you don't have the experience, and the bike may have other issues, I would take it in.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Marshal wrote:Being almost 14 yrs old, and knowing how bikes don't age well when they are not ridden, I would factor in a larger bill than just head gasket.
Like how are the tires? The rubber lines? Is the Carb all gunked up? Condition of the battery? etc... how long has it been sitting?

I would imagine that a Shadow would be one of the easier bikes to change a head gasket.
But since you don't have the experience, and the bike may have other issues, I would take it in.
Good advice here.

Head gaskets are easy. Carb cleaning is sometimes art, sometimes science.

If you're near Fort Worth (377 & Belknap), I can recommend a reliable mechanic.
http://aandrmotorsport.com/
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Yes I work on my own bikes
I also do it for a living in my small shop
I also maintain a fleet of trainer bikes for my company.
I also am the Fleet manager for our other fleets in Austin.

Without knowing your past experience, current skill set, available shop space and tools..its hard to say if it is a easy doable job for you or not.
R&R of a cylinder head and replacement of a head gasket is a nuts and bolts straight up parts changer task. No skills of a technician are needed. But some hands on prior experience, familiarity with motorcycles like that one your about to work on, the right tools and a factory service manual are the best plan.
As others have mentioned, plan for more than just a head gasket in your pricing.. tires likely, rebuild the brake system from lever to brake pads likely. Carbs, plan on replacing all rubber parts and gaskets, plan on doing a detailed cleaning.
Plan on finding rodent nests, chewed wires.
And lastly, pay no more then you can part it for with prices based on what you can confirm visually.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

loktite

Post by loktite »

Don't forget the mud dobber nests in the pipes!
NRA Endowment Member

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Bike mechanic

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I do my own work except for replacing tires.

I think the other guys have provided good advice. The only thing I would add is: if the tires are more than 5yrs old, replace them regardless of how much tread is left on them.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

My last bike was a Hayabusa that I sold about 3 years ago. I can do many basic things, but still didn't do much of any repairs on that thing. However, it never really needed any either, just general PMs and stuff. No real repairs.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

thestudiokid

Post by thestudiokid »

In the past, I have wrenched on my own bikes. Changed clutches, adjusted valve trains, synch'd carbs, changed sprockets and chains, suspension work, etc. I've gone so far as to split the case on an old two-stroke I had... but that was years ago when I could tolerate being stooped over a bench or the bike itself for a period of time. These days, not so much.

I'll change oil and do a basic tune up, but that's about it.

FCH

Post by FCH »

My first thought is "why did the head gasket blow?" Could be serious engine damage from bent valves to cracked block or head. Someone else mentioned - pay no more than you could get for selling the parts.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Thanks for all the replies. I have been away from my computer (this forum) for the last week. Just to respond to a few comments... it was rode almost daily this past summer. He pulled in out a few weeks ago when it was warm, to ride around and "keep the fluids running". He rode for about 30 minutes when it started running rough. When he got back home, he said "it had coolant in the oil". Last Friday, he bought a new/used motorcycle. I casually asked if he wanted to sell his old bike? He said he would for $700. After I originally posted here, I ended up talking to my step dad who is "way into" motorcycles and he said pretty much what most of y'all did. Anyway, I called my friend later and told him basically, thanks but no thanks. He lowered the price to $500. I still said no. He has left the offer open ended, so I might still get it in the future. I have ridden it before and everything was good on it until his incident. I still think it is a steal, but I just have too much on my plate right now to mess with it. My last bike was older one and had problem after problem. I fixed/replaced everything myself, but like someone else said, I'm older, fatter and lazier now. :lol:: Again, thanks for all the replies! :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Return to “Off-Topic”