180 Years Ago Today - From William Barret Travis

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

180 Years Ago Today - From William Barret Travis

Post by anygunanywhere »

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World:

Fellow citizens & compatriots—I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna—I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken—I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch—The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death.

William Barret Travis

Lt. Col. comdt

P.S. The Lord is on our side—When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn—We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels & got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 180 Years Ago Today - From William Barret Travis

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Col. Travis' life and testimony is proof that the pen is mightier than the sword. The words he penned of honor and victory or death, and the sacrifice of the lives of the garrison at the Alamo (including his own) galvanized the countryside to pursue liberty from Mexican rule whatever the cost. That struggle continued to victory behind the battle cry, "Remember the Alamo!"
Last edited by Middle Age Russ on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

Proud to be a Texan! God Bless Texas!

:txflag: :txflag: :txflag:
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

To those of you who are better versed in Texas history than I, maybe you can answer this question for me.....
Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch...
At that time, Texans were fighting for the creation of the independent Republic of Texas.....independent from Mexico rather than the US. So why does he refer to the American character, rather than the Texan character? I assume that he was calling on his fellow Texans....or am I not understanding the whole picture?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote:To those of you who are better versed in Texas history than I, maybe you can answer this question for me.....
Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch...
At that time, Texans were fighting for the creation of the independent Republic of Texas.....independent from Mexico rather than the US. So why does he refer to the American character, rather than the Texan character? I assume that he was calling on his fellow Texans....or am I not understanding the whole picture?

Most, if not all of the defenders at the Alamo were Americans. Also, the fight for independence was likened to the fight with England in the Revolutionary war. Travis was not only hoping for nearby Texians to come to the aid of the Alamo, but for Texas' fight for freedom be a battle cry that would resonate with all Americans. Most of the Texas revolutionaries hoped that Texas would become part of the U.S. That is why so many men came from Tennessee, Kentucky, and other parts of the U.S. to help in the fight.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

:txflag:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:To those of you who are better versed in Texas history than I, maybe you can answer this question for me.....

Most, if not all of the defenders at the Alamo were Americans. Also, the fight for independence was likened to the fight with England in the Revolutionary war. Travis was not only hoping for nearby Texians to come to the aid of the Alamo, but for Texas' fight for freedom be a battle cry that would resonate with all Americans. Most of the Texas revolutionaries hoped that Texas would become part of the U.S. That is why so many men came from Tennessee, Kentucky, and other parts of the U.S. to help in the fight.
Thank you for the explanation. I moved here late in life, so education in Texas history was somewhat abbreviated compared to if I had grown up here.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Jusme wrote:

If I recall most were Americans but there were Tejanos too, those Mexicans who lived in the Texas frontier trying to build a good life. They were being persecuted by Santa Ana the same as the Americans who settled Texas.

One of the most famous of the Tejanos was Juan Sequin, a true Texas Patriot and son of the Lone Star.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Jusme wrote:

If I recall most were Americans but there were Tejanos too, those Mexicans who lived in the Texas frontier trying to build a good life. They were being persecuted by Santa Ana the same as the Americans who settled Texas.

One of the most famous of the Tejanos was Juan Sequin, a true Texas Patriot and son of the Lone Star.
The issue that triggered the whole affair was the concerted effort to replace local control with federal bureaucratic overreach. Sound familiar?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Bitter Clinger wrote: The issue that triggered the whole affair was the concerted effort to replace local control with federal bureaucratic overreach. Sound familiar?
Tyrants are all alike, no matter when in history they exist.

RETiffner

Post by RETiffner »

:txflag:

Return to “Off-Topic”