How To Put Out a Fire

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How To Put Out a Fire

Post by crazy2medic »

The original fire grenades that are now collectables if I remember my fire history and fire science had carbon tetrachloride in them, when used they put off a very toxic fume!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WildBill »

crazy2medic wrote:The original fire grenades that are now collectables if I remember my fire history and fire science had carbon tetrachloride in them, when used they put off a very toxic fume!
Carbon tetrachloride was common in many old style fire extinguishers. They were very effective.
NRA Endowment Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

JALLEN wrote:
WildBill wrote:
ELB wrote:
JALLEN wrote:Isn't this about like Red Adair's technique for fighting oil well fires using dynamite to deprive the fire of oxygen?
Aside from the difference in scale (!), no I don't think so. In the oil well fires, the explosive literally blows out the flame with a shockwave, depriving the flame of oxygen and fuel. That little ball is not generating any kind of shockwave (else that guy holding it as it went off wouldn't have fingers afterwards), it just saturating the immediate area with some kind of dry chemical.
:iagree: I think the reaction releases carbon dioxide gas which cuts off the oxygen and stops the fire.
Well, I didn't think it might be literally identical. Deprive of oxygen is the gist of it, because the fire is out immediately. Same cause, different means of getting it.
While what you say is technically true, it's about like saying stepping on the brake is the same as hitting a brick wall because they both stop the car. :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ELB
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ELB »

JALLEN wrote: ...

Well, I didn't think it might be literally identical. Deprive of oxygen is the gist of it, because the fire is out immediately. Same cause, different means of getting it.
Well yes it's true that at the most fundamental level fires are put out by removing or isolating either the fuel, the oxygen, the heat, or the chemical reaction that provides/sustains the heat -- or some combination of the four. All else is detail. :lol:

The techniques that get there vary according to which part(s) of the fire tetrahedron (yes, the "fire triangle" is old news) they attack.

The explosive technique used in oil field well fires removes the oxygen and fuel from the immediate vicinity long enough to snuff the fire.

Dry chemical agents, which it appears is what is in this fire grenade operate a little differently. They coat the fuel, separating it from the oxygen and also interfering in the chemical reaction.

Oh, and for WildBill, I don't think this little widget is using CO2, I think it is just covering everything in range with a dry chemical.

The amount of dry chemical will limit the size of the fire that can be suppressed, and while it's good for a lot of different kinds of fire, it doesn't work well on everything. I'd like to see them toss one on an engine fire where the engine has a lot magnesium in it, like some new engines do. Probably not as spectacular result as spraying water on it, but I bet it doesn't put it out either.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

ELB wrote:Oh, and for WildBill, I don't think this little widget is using CO2, I think it is just covering everything in range with a dry chemical.
There is a small explosive charge inside the ball that disperses the powder. You can see the white powder after the ball bursts.
Some of the dry chemicals used in extinguishers, such as sodium and potassium carbonate, release CO2 when they are heated.
That is how they put out the fire. It is not clear from their website or product description exactly what is used in their product.
NRA Endowment Member

tyree

Post by tyree »

very cool

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Similar item
ICEKEY Fire Extinguisher Ball Auto Fire Off
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

ELB

Post by ELB »

So I emailed the Elide Fire Ball company and asked them "how much?"

The answer I got back was a bit confusing. $150 EACH for less than 12, discount of $30 for more than 12. But how much for exactly 12? Maybe $150 each, maybe $120 each, they say both in different sentences. Also not clear if you have to buy them in packages of 12? Email says minimum order is 12. But can send smaller quantities for trial. OK, maybe we'll see.

ETA: Badly misread and then misquoted the discount first time I posted this.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

ELB wrote:So I emailed the Elide Fire Ball company and asked them "how much?"

The answer I got back was a bit confusing. $150 EACH for less than 12, discount of $30 for more than 12. But how much for exactly 12? Maybe $150 each, maybe $120 each, they say both in different sentences. Also not clear if you have to buy them in packages of 12? Email says minimum order is 12. But can send smaller quantities for trial. OK, maybe we'll see.

What country do they ship from? Does the quoted price include shipping charges? I would think that they couldn't be shipped by air.
NRA Endowment Member

ELB

Post by ELB »

WildBill wrote:
ELB wrote:So I emailed the Elide Fire Ball company and asked them "how much?"

What country do they ship from? Does the quoted price include shipping charges? I would think that they couldn't be shipped by air.
Havent got that far yet. Stand by.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”