Police blotter -- Unlawful Carry

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MikeyJ
Posts in topic: 2

Police blotter -- Unlawful Carry

Post by MikeyJ »

I ran across this in the Tomball police blotter, as reported here: http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/magnolia ... 3cb71.html
ARRESTS:
Narcotics Violations:
On 02/24/2016, Cpl. Manickas arrested a 19-year-old man from Houston for Possession of Marijuana and Possession of a Controlled Substance. Cpl. Manickas conducted a traffic stop in the 27000 block of Tomball Pkwy. After smelling marijuana, Cpl. Manickas searched the vehicle and discovered marijuana and Xanax.

On 02/27/2016, Officer Finney and Cpl. Manickas arrested a 22-year-old man from Odessa for Possession of a Controlled Substance. The officers conducted a traffic stop in the 27500 block of Calvert Rd. During a search incident to arrest, the officers discovered methamphetamine in the suspect’s pocket.

Driving While Intoxicated:
Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon:
On 02/24/2016, Cpls. Manickas and Officer Rodriguez arrested a 23-year-old man from Waller for Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon. The officers conducted a traffic stop in the 27000 block of Tomball Pkwy. During a search of the vehicle, the officers discovered a weapon as well as marijuana and Xanax.
I thought it was interesting that "unlawful carry" got it's own heading, even though the rest of the story (traffic stop, search, found drugs) was the same as the "narcotics violations". I wonder if the classification of the stop/arrest was made by the police or by the person compiling the arrests for the paper.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Police blotter -- Unlawful Carry

Post by AJSully421 »

It is called: bias.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

mr1337
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mr1337 »

And that's why no one should ever consent to a search of their person, vehicle, or home.

If it was just a traffic stop and the guy did not consent to the search, he wouldn't have been hit with the UCW and drug charges that undoubtedly put him in cuffs. At least, not without a K9 unit present.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Sounds as if the 27000 block of Tomball Parkway is an area to be avoided or be certain to obey traffic laws.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Jusme
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jusme »

anygunanywhere wrote:Sounds as if the 27000 block of Tomball Parkway is an area to be avoided or be certain to obey traffic laws.
:iagree:
I noticed that too, must be a hot spot for drug activity. Or at least speeders who carry drugs.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

zimmerdesignz
Posts in topic: 1

Post by zimmerdesignz »

mr1337 wrote:And that's why no one should ever consent to a search of their person, vehicle, or home.

If it was just a traffic stop and the guy did not consent to the search, he wouldn't have been hit with the UCW and drug charges that undoubtedly put him in cuffs. At least, not without a K9 unit present.
It appears on one of them the officer stated he smelled the marijuana, so probable cause, am I right? Done to my son earlier this year. With nothing found might I add.
:tiphat:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

zimmerdesignz wrote:
mr1337 wrote:And that's why no one should ever consent to a search of their person, vehicle, or home.

It appears on one of them the officer stated he smelled the marijuana, so probable cause, am I right? An easy out any time you piss him off enough that he wants to search you. Done to my son earlier this year. With nothing found might I add.

Yeah that does create probable cause, but, the officer needs to be able to justify it in court, but these reports are just edited versions provided to the press, or general public, to satisfy open records requirements. We used to have them at our front counter so reporters could pick them up (before web sites etc..) These are redacted and only give few details of the actual reports. Not all of the officers' reasons may be given for the arrests, so without the full report it's hard to judge their actions.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Jusme wrote:
zimmerdesignz wrote:

It appears on one of them the officer stated he smelled the marijuana, so probable cause, am I right? An easy out any time you piss him off enough that he wants to search you. Done to my son earlier this year. With nothing found might I add.

Yeah that does create probable cause, but, the officer needs to be able to justify it in court, but these reports are just edited versions provided to the press, or general public, to satisfy open records requirements. We used to have them at our front counter so reporters could pick them up (before web sites etc..) These are redacted and only give few details of the actual reports. Not all of the officers' reasons may be given for the arrests, so without the full report it's hard to judge their actions.
Good thing the smelling of alcohol or marijuana as probable cause can't possibly be abused! Oh wait.

All the more reason to legalize it. I feel that it's an easy "out" for officers to detain and search without real PC. Rogue officers can also cause a K9 unit to alert. I think the whole drug war is bogus.

Sorry, got off on a tangent. These things grind my gears. Whether the guy should have had the gun or not, he still has Constitutional rights that need not be violated.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cb1000rider »

Let me tell you how this works in reality: If you don't consent to a search - they may decide to search anyway. If they find something, you end up in cuffs anyway. And you'll be charged. How it gets sorted out will depend on your ability to pay for representation, what the LEOs are willing to say in terms of justifying an unauthorized search, and what a DA thinks. Which means that a high % of illegal searches are highly effective..

Very little downside of an "illegal" search unless you're dealing with a well recorded traffic stop and someone with deep enough pockets to make it hurt. And a camera can't prove that the officer didn't smell "something"..

It's not after an illegal stop you have to give the drugs back. You may not get a conviction, but you solve the immediate problem.

Welcome to the drug war in America. We're all a little safer now.
Last edited by cb1000rider on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Javier730 »

mr1337 wrote:
Jusme wrote:
zimmerdesignz wrote:

Good thing the smelling of alcohol or marijuana as probable cause can't possibly be abused! Oh wait.

All the more reason to legalize it. I feel that it's an easy "out" for officers to detain and search without real PC. Rogue officers can also cause a K9 unit to alert. I think the whole drug war is bogus.

Sorry, got off on a tangent. These things grind my gears. Whether the guy should have had the gun or not, he still has Constitutional rights that need not be violated.
:iagree: on the Oh wait.

How could one prove that the officer didnt smell marijuana in court? How could you prove what ANYONE did or did not smell at all?
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

cb1000rider wrote:
Let me tell you how this works in reality: If you don't consent to a search - they may decide to search anyway. If they find something, you end up in cuffs anyway. And you'll be charged. How it gets sorted out will depend on your ability to pay for representation, what the LEOs are willing to say in terms of justifying an unauthorized search, and what a DA thinks. Which means that a high % of illegal searches are highly effective..

Very little downside of an "illegal" search unless you're dealing with a well recorded traffic stop and someone with deep enough pockets to make it hurt. And a camera can't prove that the officer didn't smell "something"..

It's not after an illegal stop you have to give the drugs back. You may not get a conviction, but you solve the immediate problem.
Definitely not saying that refusing to consent to a search will help you beat the ride, but it may help you beat the rap.

If you consent to a search, there's no question to the legality.

If you refuse to consent to a search, you can later question the legality of the search that occurred anyways. But you don't get this option later if you consent.

Nothing is a sure thing, all you can do is give yourself the best shot at your defense. (No pun intended)
Keep calm and carry.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Javier730 wrote: :iagree: on the Oh wait.

How could one prove that the officer didnt smell marijuana in court? How could you prove what ANYONE did or did not smell at all?
On the same lines, how could you prove that the officer did smell marijuana? As zimmerdesignz said, it happened to his son this year and nothing was found.
Keep calm and carry.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Javier730 »

mr1337 wrote:

On the same lines, how could you prove that the officer did smell marijuana? As zimmerdesignz said, it happened to his son this year and nothing was found.
That is why an officer "smelling marijuana" alone shouldnt be enough probable cause to search.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Javier730 wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

That is why an officer "smelling marijuana" alone shouldnt be enough probable cause to search.
I'm certain the conservative SCOTUS will see it that way....not.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Javier730 wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

Yeah that's what I was saying, the officer "smelling marijuana" may or may not have been the probable cause used. It is a slippery slope to use that as the only reason because a defense attorney will tear you up in court. He may ask "what does marijuana smell like" and if you give an answer comparing it to something else, then you have just blown your case. I have often times smelled marijuana, or even chemicals used for making meth, when making a traffic stop, but I would then began questioning and ask for a consent to search, most of the times they would either confess to having contraband or would allow the search. I was very aware of individuals rights in this regard when a LEO, and never made an arrest where it would ever come into question. But I agree, if you know that they may find something, don't agree to a search. If they search anyway and find something, it will be a defense to prosecution and the evidence could be thrown out. But the best policy is don't do illegal stuff. :tiphat:

Return to “Off-Topic”