Home Demolished in Rowlett - Oops!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Home Demolished in Rowlett - Oops!

Post by WildBill »

ROWLETT — Both owners of a duplex in Rowlett said they are shocked that a demolition company mistakenly tore down their homes on Tuesday.

Lindsay Diaz and Alan Cutter own both sides of the duplex, and were waiting on insurance and a possible FEMA individual assistance declaration to decide on repairs.

Diaz said she received a frantic call from Cutter’s wife on Tuesday afternoon saying the duplex was gone.

“I pull up, and — sure enough — it’s gone,” Diaz said. “There’s nothing left.”

The demolition company was supposed to tear down a home one block away.

A representative from Nabors Demolition told WFAA it had no comment, and that the situation was under investigation.

“How do you make a mistake like this?" Diaz asked. " I mean, this is just the worst.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas-c ... t/97622816
NRA Endowment Member

Bayoutalker
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Home Demolished in Rowlett - Oops!

Post by Bayoutalker »

Sounds like a job for "The Strong Arm"!
Cliff H.
Beaumont, TX

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Bayoutalker wrote:Sounds like a job for "The Strong Arm"!
No thanks. I would find someone else to represent me. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

WildBill wrote:
ROWLETT — Both owners of a duplex in Rowlett said they are shocked that a demolition company mistakenly tore down their homes on Tuesday.

Lindsay Diaz and Alan Cutter own both sides of the duplex, and were waiting on insurance and a possible FEMA individual assistance declaration to decide on repairs.

Diaz said she received a frantic call from Cutter’s wife on Tuesday afternoon saying the duplex was gone.

“I pull up, and — sure enough — it’s gone,” Diaz said. “There’s nothing left.”

The demolition company was supposed to tear down a home one block away.

A representative from Nabors Demolition told WFAA it had no comment, and that the situation was under investigation.

“How do you make a mistake like this?" Diaz asked. " I mean, this is just the worst.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas-c ... t/97622816
Sounds like they won't have to wait on FEMA to decide on assistance. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

The demo company shouldn't have used just google maps to decide on the correct address. Seems like street signs and a house number should be what they are using

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Wag2323 wrote:The demo company shouldn't have used just google maps to decide on the correct address. Seems like street signs and a house number should be what they are using

They are just given an address, probably handwritten, possibly with numbers transposed, in an area with tornado damage, so street signs, numbers on houses etc. may not be visible. This is not the first occurrence, Nabors Demolition will be buying someone a new duplex.

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

If it had been hit by a tornado first, house number might not have been there. Sounds like a juicy lawsuit against the demolition company AND Google. But it's probably going to be years before the owners see any money. Unless their homeowners insurance covers it (and then files their own lawsuits to recover the non-storm costs).
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

ELB

Post by ELB »

That's awful. I can understand that street signs and numbers might be missing, but that should say to the contractor to be extra double-sure he is at the right place. this is not the first time in history the wrong house got pulled down.
USAF 1982-2005

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

ELB wrote:That's awful. I can understand that street signs and numbers might be missing, but that should say to the contractor to be extra double-sure he is at the right place. this is not the first time in history the wrong house got pulled down.

I don't think it's the first time for Nabors, I got busy and haven't been able to look but I believe they wee involved in some other cases like this. I'll try to find the stories as soon as I get time.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It's just too bad that the duplex owners decided to store that priceless Ming vase in there the day before.........

I wouldn't want to be the owner of that demo company right about now.

LeakyWaders

Post by LeakyWaders »

Sounds like a job performed by those who will do the job that American's won't do.
Pants Up.......Don't Loot

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:If it had been hit by a tornado first, house number might not have been there. Sounds like a juicy lawsuit against the demolition company AND Google. But it's probably going to be years before the owners see any money. Unless their homeowners insurance covers it (and then files their own lawsuits to recover the non-storm costs).
How would Google be responsible? The company should know better than to do something without physical verification. Google is not responsible for the contractors stupidity and laziness.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Haas

Post by Haas »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:It's just too bad that the duplex owners decided to store that priceless Ming vase in there the day before.........

I wouldn't want to be the owner of that demo company right about now.
:lol: :iagree: :lol:
:txflag: I love this place

talltex

Post by talltex »

Not just the demolition company in this case. There were several cases last year where the city of Dallas went to the wrong address and bulldozed the wrong houses that were supposed to be cleared for code enforcement/ safety / abatement.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

twomillenium wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:If it had been hit by a tornado first, house number might not have been there. Sounds like a juicy lawsuit against the demolition company AND Google. But it's probably going to be years before the owners see any money. Unless their homeowners insurance covers it (and then files their own lawsuits to recover the non-storm costs).
How would Google be responsible? The company should know better than to do something without physical verification. Google is not responsible for the contractors stupidity and laziness.
Lawyers tend to go after "deep pockets", and Google, when queried for an address, pointed to the wrong location, contributing to the situation.
Plaintiff attorney will happily file suit and let the relative percentages of responsibility shake out in the litigation process.....
It's got very little to do with reality. Remember the McDonalds 'hot coffee in my lap' lawsuit?
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “Off-Topic”