It's finally been settled!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Re: It's finally been settled!

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

Sounds good, but I don't buy it.

The creaking, walking with a limp, hideously prone to failure pistol is hardly XKE comparable.

Yes, many like to place the 1911 upon an altar, but it's had it's day and overstayed it's welcome.

Much like guys who clamor to trot out their beloved old putt-putt cars while smiling and waving in geezer filled parades, bald heads and white beards shining, the 1911 will always be loved by the diehard.

A souped up, muscular, high tech, semi-auto it ain't.

It's a tired, old has been and should be given a dignified pasture to die in...

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote: It's not that one pistol is better than the other. They are both great designs. But for "lowest common denominator" practicality, I'll take the Glock. At the range, I still have more fun shooting my 1911s.
Was a great post as usual, I have to admit I like shooting the 1911, but I never liked the idea of using one style gun as carry, and another for training .. Which is why I only own and shoot SA/DA with a hammer. I don't train that well and am concerned about confusing muscle memory, particularly in the draw and releasing safety motions (1911 is backwards Glock none). Do you make a thumb sweep on the missing Glock safety? A double action has a lot going for it when it comes to the beginners or lower common demoninator, but the addition of a mechanical safety that is common with most SA/DA makes holstering a little safer for people. Like I said before there is no one fits all, and no best. Its only what fits best to the particular shooter / toter.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Right2Carry »

AndyC wrote:I'm going to claim that I invented that meme a year or two ago - I didn't write that specific one, though, I know when to use "it's"
I didn't create it, just saw it and posted it.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

K.Mooneyham,

Once, when my love for 1911's was strong, I saw the possibility of an ND with a 1911 not being all that difficult...

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

Abraham wrote:Yep, it'll go pew pew pew 8 times and then it's outta juice...A Glock .45 caliber on the other hand will go pew, pew, pew 10/13 times before it's outta juice (plus, it's dependable)
That consideration is more important for the folks who don't carry spare mags. When my first 9 are gone, I've got at least 16 more on the belt. There aren't too many situations I can't bail myself out of with that load out.

Two of the most important things about the 1911 that haven't been mentioned here are it fits naturally in my hand and virtually points itself at the target. The Glock (which I carried for years and adapted to) does neither of those well.

And yes, I do "wipe the safety off" on my Glocks and other striker fired guns that don't actually have thumb safeties. Doesn't hurt a thing.

The 1911 is also very easy to conceal in the hollow behind the strong side hip. The Glock will fit there too, but not without making you look like a potato smuggler.

Both are obviously very fine guns, and confidence in one's weapon platform is a crucial element for gunfight survival, and, while I enjoy the Glock / 1911 repartee as much as anyone, I wholeheartedly support the carry of whatever works best for you.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

NRA Endowment Member

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

The accuracy one on this just makes me laugh. For a top level guy in a competition sure. Pulling it on the street saving your life, you will never see the difference. Even at the range a vast majority of shooters won't even get a Glock to its full potential, much less a 1911. Gets even more silly when people start comparing a $3,000 1911 to a $550 Glock. Like comparing a Formula 1 race car to a Toyota Camry; even there most people can't get the most out of their Camry.

Buy what you want, carry what you want. I'm going to drive a workhorse car, and carry a workhorse gun. And enjoy shooting ya'lls thoroughbred 1911s when we have range days. One thing is for sure. Nobody is going to be standing in line to shoot a Glock at a range day. Just like nobody is going to ooh and aah over a generic Camry.
NRA Benefactor Member

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VoiceofReason »

Abraham wrote:Yep, it'll go pew pew pew 8 times and then it's outta juice...A Glock .45 caliber on the other hand will go pew, pew, pew 10/13 times before it's outta juice (plus, it's dependable)
The idea is to hit what you are shooting at with the first two or three shots so you have bullets left over. But then there are those that follow the "spray and pray" school of thought. My Kimber holds 9 and I carry two spare mags. It goes bang bang bang not pew pew pew and I have never had any trouble with it.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Both times I was robbed, it was by multiple "attackers" 2 once and 5 the other time ... also there's the coordination under stress aspect of reloading, I barely got the tape off the fire extinguisher handle to use it this morning, also ... single-hand or injured arm I'd rather have more inside than on the belt ... I also have a XD with 15 round in the mag (13+ 2 baseplate + 1 chambered=19) ,,, it's heavier than Tupperware.
All a mater of what works for an individual.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Jago668 wrote:The accuracy one on this just makes me laugh. For a top level guy in a competition sure. Pulling it on the street saving your life, you will never see the difference. Even at the range a vast majority of shooters won't even get a Glock to its full potential, much less a 1911. Gets even more silly when people start comparing a $3,000 1911 to a $550 Glock. Like comparing a Formula 1 race car to a Toyota Camry; even there most people can't get the most out of their Camry.

Buy what you want, carry what you want. I'm going to drive a workhorse car, and carry a workhorse gun. And enjoy shooting ya'lls thoroughbred 1911s when we have range days. One thing is for sure. Nobody is going to be standing in line to shoot a Glock at a range day. Just like nobody is going to ooh and aah over a generic Camry.
Agreed. Here I am in street car (Glock) getting passed by race car (1911). On the other hand, I drove myself to the track :lol::

View My Video

Clearly the solution is to own BOTH!!!!!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

TangoX-ray

Post by TangoX-ray »

The Glock is the automotive equivalent of a Toyota Camry: seats 5, has a decent trunk, and reliable for many miles. 1911s are like Corvettes: seats 2, has some old tech (looking at you, single cam), and a great history.
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

TangoX-ray wrote:The Glock is the automotive equivalent of a Toyota Camry: seats 5, has a decent trunk, and reliable for many miles. 1911s are like Corvettes: seats 2, has some old tech (looking at you, single cam), and a great history.
Cars and guns....lotta guys here......

But let me relate a story about my daughter.
5'9".....125 lbs......maybe.
Loves my 1911-so much so I have to lock it up when she visits.

Shooting at Bullet Trap a few months back. She's rocking that 1911 with pretty good precision.
I'm loading magazines like a hired servant.

She's blond, tall and slim.....several young guys are asking...."What's she shooting?" (That 1911 has a distinctive report). (Like that was the reason)
Says I: "A 1911.... .45 cal...you want to give it a go?" NO takers for shooting the pistol.....they were 9mm Glock guys, as I observed later.
They struck up a conversation with my daughter afterwards...but they were not messing with the 1911.

I laughed all the way home. My daughter told them: "No 1911...no date." I laughed some more.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jago668 wrote:The accuracy one on this just makes me laugh. For a top level guy in a competition sure. Pulling it on the street saving your life, you will never see the difference. Even at the range a vast majority of shooters won't even get a Glock to its full potential, much less a 1911. Gets even more silly when people start comparing a $3,000 1911 to a $550 Glock. Like comparing a Formula 1 race car to a Toyota Camry; even there most people can't get the most out of their Camry.

It might make you laugh, but it is real, at least for me.

I am noticeably more accurate with my Magnum Research full size 1911 (I paid $650) than I am with my Glock 21 at 7 yards. Can I hit the torso of a human size target with both guns at that distance? Yes (of course). Can I hit a specific area of the target, reliably, under stress, with both guns? Most likely, but more likely with the 1911 than with the Glock. These are home defense guns. And it is entirely possible that I will be trying to hit a moving target, that is possibly obscured by a column or corner, in low light. I don't think the accuracy difference is anything to laugh at for me, personally.

I am also noticeably more accurate with my Colt Defender than I am with my similarly sized Glock 26. We are talking about a roughly $250 price difference on those guns.

Return to “Off-Topic”