This Day In Texas History - April 21

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 4

This Day In Texas History - April 21

Post by joe817 »

1836 - Texas forces won the battle of San Jacinto, the concluding military event of the Texas Revolution. Facing General Santa Anna's Mexican army of some 1,200 men encamped in what is now southeastern Harris County, General Sam Houston disposed his forces in battle order about 3:30 p.m., during siesta time. The Texans' movements were screened by trees and the rising ground, and evidently Santa Anna had no lookouts posted. The Texan line sprang forward on the run with the cries "Remember the Alamo!" and "Remember Goliad!" The battle lasted but eighteen minutes. According to Houston's official report, the casualties were 630 Mexicans killed and 730 taken prisoner. Against this, only nine of the 910 Texans were killed or mortally wounded and thirty were wounded less seriously.

For the previous month, Houston led his forces across the Coastal Plains with Santa Anna in pursuit. The Texas army left nothing for the Mexican Army, burning bridges, villages, and other opportunities for Santa Anna's troups to resupply. Many of their heavy weapons were left behind and had not made it to the battle field. The small Texas Navy managed to capture, deter or scuttle vessles that might have resupplied Santa Anna's army in his march across Texas.

The Texas ship Liberty, having captured the Mexican ship Pelican off Yucatan, was able to provide an ample supply of captured war making materials from the Mexican vessel. Although the victory earned Texas its Independence from Mexico, the Mexican Navy continue to blockade the Texas coast, and make trouble along the southern border of Texas. General Houston, injured in the battle, was taken by ship to New Orleans for medical treatment, arriving there to cheering crowds

1836 - As legend has it, Emily Morgan, a mulato slave girl (the Yellow Rose) captured by the Mexican Army, was brought to Santa Anna's tent near San Jacinto, and "distracted" him throughout the day of the final battle for Texas Independence. With Santa Anna occupied, the Texas forces, under General Sam Houston, were able to sneak up on the Mexican army and launch a surprise attack, quickly overwhelming and defeating the Mexican army in a matter of minutes. Emily Morgan, the Yellow Rose, was actually a free-born black lady named Emily D. West, who worked as a housekeeper at the New Washington Association's hotel. It is likely that the story of her seducing Santa Anna is a fable, however it still made for a good story.

1836 - This day saw the battle of San Jacinto and the securing of fame for the Twin Sisters. That afternoon near the banks of Buffalo Bayou the Texas army struck at Santa Anna's unsuspecting troops. The Twins were probably near the center of the Texans' line of battle and ten yards in advance of the infantry. Their first shots were fired at a distance of 200 yards, and their fire was credited with helping to throw the Mexican force into confusion and significantly aiding the infantry attack. During this battle the Twins fired handfuls of musket balls, broken glass, and horseshoes, as this was the only ammunition the Texans had for the guns. Among the crews serving the guns were several men who later made prominent names for themselves in Texas history, including Benjamin McCulloch, a future Confederate general who helped bring the Twins back from oblivion in 1860. In 1840 the Twins were reported to have been moved, along with other military stores, to Austin, where on April 21, 1841, they were fired in celebration of the fifth anniversary of the battle of San Jacinto. When Sam Houston was inaugurated as president of the republic that year, the twins were fired as Houston kissed the Bible after taking the oath of office.

1836 - General Sam Houston’s weapon during the battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836, was a sword given to him by his friend, Joseph Bonnell. Bonnell holds a unique distinction in Texas history as the only individual who was a regular army officer in both the United States Army and the Texas Army at the same time.

1846 - Capt. Samuel H. Walker's company of Texas Mounted Rangers, was mustered into federal service to assist in the Mexican War.

1873 - The Texas state legislature repealed the law authorizing the State Police. At least thirty-six State Police members became Texas Rangers.

1873 - San Jacinto Day, which is now celebrated as the unit's organization day for the Houston Light Guards, one of the oldest national guard companies in the state, became the first uniformed militia company in post-Reconstruction Houston.
[ https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qjh02 ]

1888 - The Texas State Capitol in Austin opened to the public. Construction was not complete at the time of the opening.

1906 - Frank Hamer enlisted in the Texas Rangers. Hamer, born in Fairview in 1884, was recommended for a position with the Rangers after capturing a horse thief while working as a cowboy in 1905. In 1908 he resigned from the force to become marshal of Navasota and then a special officer in Harris County. He rejoined the Rangers in 1915 and patrolled the South Texas border from the Big Bend to Brownsville. He was criticized for his use of force, and legislator José T. Canales accused Hamer of threatening him in 1918. In 1934 Hamer became a special investigator for the Texas prison system and was assigned to track down outlaws Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow. After a three-month search, he and his men shot and killed them near Gibsland, Louisiana. Congress awarded Hamer a special citation for stopping the pair. Hamer retired in 1949 and lived in Austin until his death in 1955.

1921 - The Department of Texas Veterans of Foreign Wars was officially founded.

1933 - The "LIBERTY OR DEATH" flag, brought to Texas by Sidney Sherman, and used at the the Battle of San Jacinto, was presented to the state on April 21, 1933, and placed in the House of Representatives chamber behind the speaker's rostrum.
[for a fascinating read of the Flags of the Texas Revolution: https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/msf02 ]

1941 - Following the death of Senator Morris Sheppard on April 9th, Governor O'Daniel appoints the 87 year old son of Sam Houston, Andrew Jackson Houston on this date in 1941, to fill the remaining term.

1942, the first group of internees--456 Germans, 156 Japanese, and 14 Italians--arrived at the Kenedy Alien Detention Camp on the outskirts of Kenedy, Texas. The United States Border Patrol had entered into an agreement to lease a former Civilian Conservation Corps camp for the Immigration and Naturalization Service. The lease was made for the purpose of establishing an internment camp for aliens from the United States and Latin America who were considered dangerous to the public safety. At the outset of World War II, when conditions were bleak for the Allies, the U.S. undertook to protect its national interests by entering into agreement with Latin-American countries to arrest and intern all resident aliens or citizens of German, Japanese, or Italian descent who could possibly aid the Axis war effort.

1993 - The first episode of "Walker, Texas Ranger" aired on CBS.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
joe817

Re: This Day In Texas History - April 21

Post by joe817 »

Letters From The Past: Anecdotes on the Battle of San Jacinto from General Thomas Rusk (From Henry Foote's Texas and Texans, vol. 2, 1841

"During the battle of San Jacinto," says General Rusk, when the first Regiment and the Regulars had advanced within about one hundred yards of the breast-work of the enemy, a charge was made by a division of the Mexicans, under the command of Colonel Cespedes, (I think) on our Artillery, which was, at this time, a little in advance. Mexican cannon, which had been previously directed towards our Cavalry, was now ordered to make way for the charging party upon our Artillery, and was pointed in the direction of the first Regiment. An attempt was made to fire it, but the man who held the match was shot down by one of our soldiers. The first Regiment, at that instant, with the most deafening yell I ever heard, charged upon the breast-work. Our cannon fired at the same moment, and the Mexicans at the breast-work and cannon, as well as their charging party, commenced an immediate and disorderly flight. General

Castrillion, who was commanding the Mexican Artillery, was standing on the ammunition boxes, behind the piece, exposed from head to foot. He used every effort to keep his men to the gun; when he found that to be impossible, he folded up his arms, stood and looked sullenly, and without moving, upon our troops, who were advancing upon him, until they arrived at or near the breast-work. He was fifty yards in the rear of his retreating men; when he turned round deliberately, and walked slowly off: He had proceeded some thirty or forty steps, when he was shot, and fell. I examined him, after the battle, and found that several rifleballs had passed directly through his body. Castrillion was a Gauchepin, or European Spaniard; was said to be quite a gentlemanly, honourable man, and was a General of Artillery."

"At the close of the fight," continues General Rusk, "and just after sun-down, Colonel Almonte came out of the woods, and surrendered, with about two hundred and fifty men. There were, at that place, not exceeding ten or fifteen Americans; and none of them could speak the Mexican language well. The prisoners were standing in a body, and they were asked, in the Spanish language, if any of them could speak English. Almonte answered, in Spanish, that they could not. They were then told, in Spanish, to form, two and two deep, and march with us to camp. They formed, and commenced marching accordingly. Our few men were distributed around them, as a guard. Most of us were very much fatigued, and such was the condition of the Mexicans also. As we proceeded along in this way, one of our men, who was so much tired that he could scarcely walk, being incommoded by a Mexican who was walking immediately before him, and who had dropped out of the line of the prisoners, observed to the intruder, in English, 'God d---n you, if you don't get back into line, I'll * * * * * with my bayonet.'

This conversation occurred near Almonte, who immediately told the prisoner who had been thus addressed, what had been said to him. I concluded that he, at least, must understand English very well, and that it was probably Almonte whom I saw before me. I, therefore, observed to him, 'You must be Colonel Almonte.' He replied in English, 'You speak well.' I then rode up to him, and gave him my hand, saying to him, 'It affords me great pleasure to see you, Colonel.' With great presence of mind, and with his customary politeness, he responded, 'The pleasure is reciprocal.'"

"During the fight, a Mexican officer found himself almost at the very muzzle of a rifle in the hands of one of our men. He begged for mercy, and happened at that moment to see a Mexican who was in our ranks, whose name was Manchaca, whom he had known for many years, at Bexar. He bellowed out to Manchaca, calling him a brother Mexican, and invoked him to save his life. Manchaca replied, 'No, d---n you, I'm no Mexican, I'm an American. Shoot him' and the soldier fired and killed him."

"Whilst the battle was in progress, the celebrated Deaf Smith, although on horseback, was with the infantry. When they got pretty near the enemy, Smith galloped on ahead, and dashed directly up to the Mexican line. Just as he reached it, his horse stumbled and fell, throwing him over his head among the enemy. Having dropped his sword in the fall, he jumped up, drew one of his belt pistols, presented it at the head of a Mexican, who was attempting to bayonet him, and the percussion-cap exploded without the pistol's going off. Upon which, Smith threw the pistol at the head of the Mexican, staggered him back, seized his gun, took it from him, and defended himself with it, until the infantry got up to his relief."

"A young man, by the name of Robbins, during the fight, dropped his gun, and, happening to run directly in contact with a Mexican soldier, who had also lost his gun, the Mexican seized Robbins, and, both being stout men, soon fell to the ground. Robbins managed, whilst contending on the earth, to get out a Bowie-knife, which he had in his belt, and quickly ended the contest, by cutting the Mexican's throat."

"About the commencement of the battle, Dr. Motley, a gentleman from Kentucky, and myself, were proximate to each other, near a corner of the enemy's breast-work. I saw Motley fall, and asked him if he was hurt. He replied, 'Yes, I believe I am mortally wounded.' I observed, 'Doctor, I will get some one to take care of you.' He responded, 'No; if you whip them, send back a man to assist me; but if you do not, I shall need no assistance.' He died the next day, perfectly resigned to his fate."

"On starting out from our camp to enter upon the attack, I saw an old gentleman, by the name of Curtis, carrying two guns. I asked him what was his reason for carrying more than one gun. He answered: 'D---n the Mexicans; they killed my son and son-in-law in the Alamo, and I intend to kill two of them for it, or be killed myself.' I saw the old man again, during the fight, and he told me he had killed his two men, and if he could find Santa Anna, he would cut a razor-strop out of his back."

"When the Mexicans were first driven from the point of woods where we encountered them, their officers tried to rally them, but the men cried, 'It's no use, it's no use, there are a thousand Americans in the woods.' When Santa Anna saw Almonte's division running past him, he called to a drummer, and ordered him to beat his drum. The drummer held up his hands and told him he was shot. He called out then to a trumpeter near him to sound his horn. The trumpeter replied that he, also, was shot. Just at that instant, a ball from one of our cannon struck a man who was standing near Santa Anna, taking off one side of his head. Santa Anna then exclaimed: 'D---n these Americans, I believe they will shoot us all.' These particulars I received from a little boy, who was one of our prisoners, and who said he was standing near Santa Anna at the time. He immediately mounted his horse, and commenced his flight."

"At the time that Santa Anna was brought into our camp," says the General [Rusk], "I was walking in company with young Zavala. We approached him together. Santa Anna recognized young Zavala at once, and advanced to meet him, with great apparent cordiality, uttering many expressions of kindness, such as are customary among Mexicans on such occasions; several of which I remember. Among other things, he exclaimed, 'Oh my friend, my friend, the son of my early friend' with which, and other exclamations in the same strain, he embraced young Zavala, with high indications of apparent feeling, and, I think, dropping a tear. Young Zavala returned his greeting with that deference which would have been due to his former rank and power; but, at the same time, emitting from his countenance an expression I have scarcely seen on any occasion besides. His look seemed to wither Santa Anna and staring him full in the face, he replied immediately, with great modesty, and something of a subdued tone, 'It has been so, Sir.' Santa Anna evinced plainly that he was much mortified."
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

Letters From The Past: Judge R. S. Calder and B. C. Franklin report the victory at San Jacinto to President Burnet at Galveston. (From History of the Island and the City of Galveston by Charles W. Hayes 1879)

"Judge Calder, in transmitting this manuscript, writes as follows:

Richmond, Texas, May 31, 1877
Honorable J.S. Sullivan, Galveston, Texas:
Dear Friend: Enclosed I send you the manuscript, written mainly by your solicitation, and copied by my son Sam. It is yours, and the gentleman's who asked me to write, to punctuate and do anything with you please, except to change or alter the facts and incidents stated. These, though stated from memory, are strictly correct. But for the infirmities of age and natural indolence I might have added to it, and may, if my life is prolonged a few years write out some of the incidents in our civil history. * * * * * * *
Truly and fraternally yours, R. S. CALDER.

The battle of San Jacinto was fought and won on the evening of the 21st of April, 1836. I do not care in connection with this article to go into details which have often been described. Perhaps a few items in connection with the closing scenes of that event may be of interest. Benjamin R. Bingham, a Sergeant in Company K, and a bosom friend and messmate of the writer, was reported by some members of the company as wounded and left on the field. His messmate, the writer and Charles and W.T. Rees started to find him. In searching the camp of the enemy, and looking about the officers' quarters for something to eat, being very hungry having eaten little or nothing during the day, we came upon four blankets and other articles, evidently belonging to the officers of Santa Anna's army.

Supposing they might contain bread, we quartered on one, but in the attempt to raise it, we discovered by its weight and its jingle that it was money. We immediately communicated this to Colonel Hockley, who was riding over the field at the distance of some five hundred yards. He desired us to keep it under guard until he could place a detachment of Captain A. Turner's regulars over it, which was speedily done. In the meantime another party had found the corpse of our dear messmate and conveyed it into camp.

Very soon after dark, Deaf Smith rode up to the quarters of Company K on Vince's black stallion, that Santa Anna had escaped from the, battle field on. The horse was covered with mud, and showed he had received rough usage. The gallant old scout said Well, boys, I have got the horse out of the bog, at Vince's bayou and you may be sure the rider is not far off. Our brave old Colonel, Edward Burleson, came along in a few minutes and said: Boys, we must have Santa Anna, and in order to secure his capture, we want one hundred volunteers, mounted to stretch a cordon or line from the head of Vince's Bayou to the main timbers on the San Jacinto.

The Captain spoke for the company: "Here we are, Colonel; take the whole or any portion you may desire." He said: "No, we will only ask you for twenty-five men from this company; let them catch any horses they can find." Night had already set in, but such was the eagerness to go, that in a few minutes the required detail was in motion. The next morning the detail returned to camp. I was soon after detailed with the effective men of my company and a small detachment of Captain Fisher's company, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Millard, to scour the left bank of the bayou, and render an account of some sixty of the enemy's cavalry, that were said to have crossed over, and had not been in the action of the day before.

With a flat-boat accompanying us, we marched down the right bank, between the lake near which the battle was fought and the bayou, occasionally sending out a scout to the left bank, to look for cavalry signs, but none were found, and the report turned out to be idle rumor. We, however, picked up twenty-eight stragglers between the bayou and the lake on the right bank, the most of them wounded. Though badly frightened, none, with but one exception, were hurt by us on that occasion; the wounded were placed in a flat-boat and returned to camp. The exception was an aged; grayheaded old man. He had a slight wound in the head, received when escaping the day before across the lake from our riflemen. He, with all the rest, was suffering intensely from thirst, and had crouched in the west side of a thicket.

Our detachment was passing on the east. When abreast of the thicket, a gun was fired on the opposite side. Being at the head of the detachment, I rushed around, supposing that all the men were in line behind me. On reaching the opposite, I witnessed a revolting sight. The aged Mexican already described was endeavoring to hold up the wounded and broken stumps of his arms, and imploring for mercy. He was down in the grass. Near him was a stalwart individual of the detachment from Fisher's company, who had concluded to move in a company by himself, and had taken the opposite side of the thicket from the command, and had fired into the helpless old man, with his hands uplifted and begging in his jargon for mercy. He shot him in both arms, between the wrists and elbows. I will only say that the indignation of myself and men under my command was such that the perpetrator of the act left without ceremony---not a moment too soon for his own safety. I mention this incident to show the spirit of our people. With all the provocations we had to retaliate on our foes, the unprecedented slaughter of tile day before had satiated all the noble spirits of our little army. Our foes were either dead or pleading for that mercy they no doubt felt they had no right to expect.

On returning with our Captain, after a tramp of seven or eight miles down the bayou, going and returning, we were met about half a mile from camp by Adjutant Wells, who waved his hat around his head and said: "Boys, we have caught the big dog of the tanyard. Santa Anna is in camp and our prisoner." Of course we set up the usual Texas yell, and hurried into camp to get a sight of the President of Mexico and the Commander-in-Chief of her armies. The scene there presented will never be effaced from my memory, and I've often wondered that no artist has put it on canvas.

When I arrived on the ground where the captive was present with his interpreter and Almonte, on the one side; our Commander, Houston, lying at the foot opposite General Rusk, chief spokesman; Burleson, Sherman, and the field and staff officers of our little army, surrounded by a sea of heads that were kept out of the circle by the guard.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

HAPPY SAN JACINTO DAY TEXAS!

God Bless Texas forever! :txflag:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jacinto_Day
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

joe817 wrote:HAPPY SAN JACINTO DAY TEXAS!

God Bless Texas forever! :txflag:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jacinto_Day

Great post Joe817 as usual. re-reading the details of the victory at San Jacinto make me proud to be a native Texan. :tiphat:

While the soldiers who fought the Mexican Army may have, at times seemed barbaric towards the enemy, you have to remember the fate of those at the Alamo and Goliad, where even upon surrender, the Texians were executed, by this same army, as well as all of the atrocities Santa Anna inflicted upon civilians, during his march. These things were very much on the minds of the Texas soldiers when they were finally able to engage the Mexicans, because they had lost several friends and family members to them.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Off-Topic”