This Day In Texas History - April 30

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 4

This Day In Texas History - April 30

Post by joe817 »

1598 - The historic colonizing expedition under Juan de Oñate In a ceremony at a site near that of present San Elizario, took formal possession of the entire territory drained by the Río del Norte (the Rio Grande). This act, called La Toma, or "the claiming," brought Spanish civilization to the Pass of the North and laid the foundations of more than two centuries of Spanish rule over a vast area, and to Texas.

1675 - An expedition led by Fernando del Bosque and Fray Juan Larios left Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe mission in present-day Monclova, Mexico, to convert the Indians of Coahuila. On May 11 the expedition reached the Rio Grande, probably a little below the present site of Eagle Pass. Bosque took formal possession of the river, erected a wooden cross, and renamed the river the San Buenaventura del Norte. On May 15 members of the expedition celebrated what may have been the first Mass on Texas soil, in present-day Maverick County. In all, the Spaniards traveled forty leagues past the Rio Grande and made six halts in south-central Texas. They returned to Guadalupe on June 12.

1768 - Gaspar José de Solís wrote in his diary of a striking encounter with a Tejas Indian woman in what is now Houston County. Fray Solís was inspecting missions for the College of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Zacatecas. His diary presents a valuable contemporary account of the missions, country, and Indians of Texas. The woman, Santa Adiva, held high status in her village. There, Solís writes, the inhabitants were nearly naked, "much painted with vermillion and other colors," and wearing beads and feathers. Solís states that the Indians were "great thieves and drunkards because whiskey and wine are furnished to them by the French." Santa Adiva, whose name was said to mean "great lady" or "principal lady" and who was accorded queen-like status, lived in a large, multi-room house, to which other Indians brought gifts. Solís reports that she had five husbands and many servants.

1843 - Several ships of the Texas Navy, under the command of Commodore Edwin W Moore, launched an attack against a far superior Mexican Navy off the coast at Telchac, north of Campeche. In the weeks that followed, Moores ships, often without benefit of wind for their sails, were able to drive the Mexican's from the coast of Yucatan, an independent state, friendly to Texas.
This battle saw the Mexican navy use, for the first time anywhere use the new French designed exploding Paixhans shells. Nontheless, Texas succeeded in reopening the Yucatan to shipping. This was the only time in recorded history that sailing ships defeated steam powerered ships in battle.
It was also significant for another reason. Mexico had it's eye on the Yucatan and on Texas, hoping to reclaim both. By driving the Mexican Navy from the Yucatan, it forced Mexico to avoid further confrontation with Texas, and accept a peace initiative brokered by Britain and the United States.

1872 - The infamous Kiowa chief Lone Wolf and his son Tau-ankia (Sitting-in-the-Saddle) participated in the attack on a government wagontrain at Howard's Wells, on the San Antonio-El Paso Road, in which seventeen Mexican teamsters were killed. They then fought off a patrol of the Ninth United States Cavalry from Fort Concho. During the skirmish a warrior named Mamadayte rescued the wounded Tau-ankia.

1903 - The Texas Veterinary Medical Association was organized in Fort Worth, to improve the practice of veterinary medicine through continuing education and exposure to the successful methods of others. The association maintains communication with the veterinary research program and the veterinary diagnostic laboratory at Texas A&M to keep practicing veterinarians informed about animal health subjects.

1906 -The Southwestern Telegraph and Telephone Company company reported 102,443 telephones statewide. The first automatic telephone exchange in Texas, built at Cleburne in 1903, was operated by the Cleburne Automatic Telephone Company. This exchange ceased operation on July 19, 1912, when a fire destroyed much of the equipment. The first dial exchange of the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company was installed in Dallas on July 30, 1921, and when the Wichita Falls exchange was changed to automatic operation on December 10, 1921, it was the first city to have all dial telephones.

1922 - Texas born Charlie Robinson of the Chicago White Sox pitched only the 3rd perfect game of the century, and only the fifth in major league history. It took Robertson only 90 pitches to shut out the Detroit Tigers 2-0 and enter the record books. This was only his third start as a major leaguer.

1926 – Flying pioneer Bessie Coleman died today in a accident in Jacksonville, Florida during practice for an upcoming airshow. She was tossed from the open cockpit of her plane when her co-pilot lost control. She was the first black to be certified to fly, a dream she had since childhood. She was 34. “Brave Bessie” Coleman of Houston was the world’s first licensed black pilot.

1933 - On this date in 1933, Country music legend Willie Hugh Nelson was born in Abbott, a small community north of Waco. He would go on to write many hit country songs like "Crazy" recorded by Patsy Cline and become a superstar in his own right.

1945 - Camp Barkeley was deactivated. At its peak it had a total population of 50,000. It was officially closed in September 1945 and dismantled. The War Department estimated the total cost from December 1940 to September 1945, including land and construction, at $27,332,000. At the time it closed, the military reservation encompassed one-ninth of Taylor County—77,436 acres—of which the government owned 18,976. After the camp was abandoned, the leased land reverted to its owners. Camp Barkeley had long-term effects on Abilene. Construction and army payrolls helped the local economy, and the community's demonstrated ability to maintain satisfactory relations with a large military population was a factor in the government's decision in the 1950s to locate Dyess Air Force Base there.

1986 - The city of Houston proclaimed Albert Moses Levy Memorial Day, in honor of Jews who participated in the fight for Texas independence. Levy was born in 1800, probably in Amsterdam. His family immigrated to Virginia in 1818, and he completed medical school at the University of Pennsylvania in 1832. After the death of his first wife in 1835, he went to New Orleans, where he joined the New Orleans Greys and left for Texas. He was quickly appointed surgeon in chief of the volunteer army of Texas and was wounded at the siege of Bexar. In 1836, after leaving the army, Levy joined the Texas Navy. In 1837 his ship, the Independence, was captured by two Mexican brigs-of-war. After three months he escaped and walked back to Texas, where he set up medical practice in Matagorda. Levy committed suicide in May 1848.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
joe817

Re: This Day In Texas History - April 30

Post by joe817 »

1945 - Camp Barkeley...revisited

In the spring of 1970 I was attending ACC(now ACU) in Abilene, and taking my advanced ROTC contract courses at Hardin-Simmons University, and Camp Barkeley was our maneuvers area. On one night operation our unit was advancing to the top of a hill(this was about 2am, and pitch black). I stuck my foot in a hole, and tore the ligaments in my right knee. I was unable to walk. A full blooded NAI by the name of Jimmy Smith in my squad, carried me(with me riding horseback, on his back) up that hill. He carried me plus my issue M14, PLUS his M14. I'll never forget that. Jimmy, if you're listening I hope you made it through Nam, and hope you didn't have to use the Marble's Survival knife I gave you. God Bless You!

:patriot:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

joe817 wrote:1945 - Camp Barkeley...revisited

In the spring of 1970 I was attending ACC(now ACU) in Abilene, and taking my advanced ROTC contract courses at Hardin-Simmons University, and Camp Barkeley was our maneuvers area. On one night operation our unit was advancing to the top of a hill(this was about 2am, and pitch black). I stuck my foot in a hole, and tore the ligaments in my right knee. I was unable to walk. A full blooded NAI by the name of Jimmy Smith in my squad, carried me(with me riding horseback, on his back) up that hill. He carried me plus my issue M14, PLUS his M14. I'll never forget that. Jimmy, if you're listening I hope you made it through Nam, and hope you didn't have to use the Marble's Survival knife I gave you. God Bless You!

:patriot:
I hope your knee injury did not have permanent effect and I hope your hoss of a friend came out alright! :patriot:
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

ELB wrote: I hope your knee injury did not have permanent effect and I hope your hoss of a friend came out alright! :patriot:
Thanks for asking! No permanent effects except for the big scar on my left knee when they operated on me about 2 2eeks after the incident. IIRC, it was in early January. It healed just in time for me to ship out to Fort Sill for Summer Camp that next June. I was bivouacked at a place called Camp Eagle, on the western side of the military reservation.

Jimmy was at Ft.Sill with me, but in a different battalion. Never saw him while I was there, and never saw him again ever, come to think of it. :patriot:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gdanaher »

Sadly I count 32 heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice for their nation who were named some variation of James Smith. Hoping your friend was not among them.

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

gdanaher wrote:Sadly I count 32 heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice for their nation who were named some variation of James Smith. Hoping your friend was not among them.
Thank you for looking gdanaher. Me too. Me too. :patriot:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “Off-Topic”