Memorial Day

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 2

Memorial Day

Post by locke_n_load »

Just wondering if anyone had ideas for observing Memorial Day?

I don't mean like cookouts or anything. I usually watch some war films and things like that, but any other ideas? I'm in the Houston area so I was thinking of going to the Houston National Cemetery (upsets me that carrying is illegal there), Holocaust Museum, things of that nature.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Memorial Day

Post by joe817 »

The wife & I are going to be placing flags on the graves of our Fallen Hero's to honor them, this Sunday out at the National Cemetery off of Loop 12 in Dallas. :patriot: :txflag:

On Monday, I'll probably be watching war movies most of the day. :lol: I'm partial to the old B&W movies made during WWII about WWII.
Then the obligatory hamburger grilling on the patio in the evening.

Following that, in keeping with our tradition, we say a prayer of thanks to all of those who served in our Armed Forces, and to those who made the supreme sacrifice, and raise our glasses toasting them.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 2

Post by locke_n_load »

Sounds like a good Memorial Day.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

The Viet Nam Memorial traveling display is at the Tree of Life Church on I-35 between San Antonio and New Braunfels. Monday there is a big ceremony in late morning, our community band is playing a concert noon until 2.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

There are a group of us that get together, ride our bikes (motorcycles) to the National Cemetery in Grand Prairie for the memorial services. All of us are veterans so it has special meaning to us.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

My Dad and my FIL are both interred at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery. Though they never met until my nuptials, they became fast friends and would swap yarns when occasion brought them together. They both served in the Pacific during WW2 and Korea, one a career officer, the other a volunteer and member of the Guard. Their differing perspective on these conflicts made for some thought provoking conversations.
This will be the first year that 3 of the grands will be attending the ceremonies with me and the wife. If you are ever in the area, I encourage you to attend. With the exception of Arlington, I don't believe I've ever participated in a more moving Memorial Day service.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

PatrickMas20

Post by PatrickMas20 »

One day over the weekend the whole family goes to my grandfathers grave at Houston National Cemetery to pay our respects to him and other fallen soldiers. He passed long after WWII but was a die hard patriot, fighting with 26th Infantry Yankee Division.

Y'all have a safe weekend!

Return to “Off-Topic”