LA: Alton Shering Shot by LEO

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
vjallen75
Posts in topic: 5

LA: Alton Shering Shot by LEO

Post by vjallen75 »

I was on FaceBook this morning and kept seeing people post "black lives matter" so I decided to do some digging. I found this article when I got to work. I have seen the video but not in detail, all I can really see is two LEOs on the scene with Alton and one slammed him on a vehicle then to the ground. You can hear one of the officers say he's got a gun then later shots fired. I did not want to post the video because there is cussing in it, it can be found on YouTube.

It's hard for me to comment off of a 48 second video when all we see is what the officers did at the end. I am sure there is more to this story that we will find out.
Officers responded to the store about 12:35 a.m. Tuesday after an anonymous caller indicated a man, later identified as Alton Sterling, 37, selling music CDs and wearing a red shirt threatened him with a gun, Cpl. L’Jean McKneely said.

Two officers responded and had some type of altercation with the man and one officer fatally shot the suspect, McKneely said. Both officers have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard department policy, he said.
"Get on the ground, get on the ground!"one officer yells at the beginning of the video clip.

One officer is seen pulling the man's left arm down while pressed down on the man's chest. The man's right arm is not visible in the video.

"He's got a gun! Gun," one officer says, prompting another officer ,visible in the video, to draw a weapon and point it down at hte man's chest following by ta flash from the gun.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/protes ... ar-AAi9gn0

If this topic is already up, please point me in the right direction and I will delete this post.

Any thoughts on this?
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Texas_Blaze
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LA: Alton Shering Shot by LEO

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Let the justice system decifier guilt or innocence. There is a video on Twitter that shows some gruesome views. Things can go wrong so fast. Just reminds us that carry firearms to be very diligent in how you move, where you place your hands, when contact is made. Any resistance is dangerous ground. police have a job I don't envy and don't understand why people actually sign up for it. Is this worth 30-60k/yr?

Not clear if he had a gun, and there isn't any view of the deceased attempting to dig in his pockets while resisting arrest.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

I just lost confidence In the FEBBES and the Just Us dept that has A Dem (Black Lives Matter) in charge
TheFebees that I worked with in the 60's & 70's in Lafayette La. PD were straight guys no bull in there politics they were constitutionalist's.
as Far s the @N+(*&^ In charge of the Just Us Dep is concerned ; she met with the target ed persons husband last week who happens to be the ex President, sex fiend lying under oath IMPEACHED president (only 2nd in the more than 200 years of the USA history) who ha accepted over 100 million dollars from our enemies..

Can U understand why the Investigation in Baton Rouge will be flawed.
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

Mavs00

Post by Mavs00 »

Nothing good happens after midnight outside the convenience store.

Kenneth77

Post by Kenneth77 »

I just wonder if all these people that are said to have been murdered by cops would have not been shot what would they have done ??? Killed one of there ravel gang members , a store clerk , car jacking or just took an innocent persons life ? Those are things that not one of these BLM people think about they just want someone to pay them money and that is it !
leeproductsonline.com

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Then there was this incident last night in Minnesota. The guy had a CHL and was shot in front of his 4 year old Kid. There is a lesson learned here. Carry your licence and CHL on opposite side of the carry, and pull your wallet before the officer reaches your vehicle window.

http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/falcon-he ... by-police/
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

Does NOT look good, nor the other incident where a simple traffic stop ended with CHLer being shot and killed while he is seated in his car.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

NTexCopRetired

Post by NTexCopRetired »

Concealed carry/open carry has created a new dynamic for peace officers to deal with. Training has to be adjusted in some way to allow for this change without jeopardizing officer safety. I was trained to immediately yell "gun" to other officers present if a gun was spotted in a vehicle or on a person being detained. That always resulted in guns being drawn by the officers. It is pretty obvious how that scenario quickly escalates the tension level.

I don't have an answer, I just know the training needs to be altered. There is also an obligation on the part of those that legally carry a firearm. We always role play what to do if we encounter a bad guy. Consider what you will do and how you will act when being contacted by law enforcement. A traffic stop in the afternoon is one thing. A situation where an incident was reported to police involving you and it is after dark calls for a different mind set on the CHL holders part. For me, step one would be placing my hands on the back of my head and saying "Officer, I am legally carrying a firearm. It is located xxxxxxxxxx. I am fine with you removing the weapon before asking me for ID."

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

I was always taught to comply to a leos instructions. Especially if carrying legally. I guess this no longer applies to anyone.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Yelling, Gun, Gun, means someone has pulled a gun on a Police Officer, or this is what I understand. When I was traffic stopped and asked for ID, I would say: "Sir, I am a licensed to carry, and I have my gun on my strong side, how do yo like me to proceed while all the time, my hands are on the steering wheel". Usually, I got just do not touch your gun and keep your hands where I can see them. Then, if asked for an ID, I would say, my wallet is in my front right pent's pocket or my jacket's left pocket. May I, get my wallet to get out my ID?....
Last edited by Beiruty on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,

jb2012
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jb2012 »

Just curious, is there a reason that some of y'all do not have all necessary documents (DL, LTC, and Insurance) ready to go when the officer arrives at your window? Not calling anyone out, just curious.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

jb2012 wrote:Just curious, is there a reason that some of y'all do not have all necessary documents (DL, LTC, and Insurance) ready to go when the officer arrives at your window? Not calling anyone out, just curious.
Officers may not like someone fumbling in his car before they approach the stopped vehicle. However, I may try to do what you are referring to. At night I put the cabin or reading lights on.
Beiruty,

jb2012
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jb2012 »

Beiruty wrote:
jb2012 wrote:Just curious, is there a reason that some of y'all do not have all necessary documents (DL, LTC, and Insurance) ready to go when the officer arrives at your window? Not calling anyone out, just curious.
Officers may not like someone fumbling in his car before they approach the stopped vehicle. However, I may try to do what you are referring to. At night I put the cabin or reading lights on.
Definitely understandable! I have heard in the past that typically officers are much less worried when approaching a vehicle marked as an LTC (license plate database), vs. a random; and for good reason at that.

Topic author
vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Texas_Blaze wrote:Let the justice system decifier guilt or innocence. There is a video on Twitter that shows some gruesome views. Things can go wrong so fast. Just reminds us that carry firearms to be very diligent in how you move, where you place your hands, when contact is made. Any resistance is dangerous ground. police have a job I don't envy and don't understand why people actually sign up for it. Is this worth 30-60k/yr?

Not clear if he had a gun, and there isn't any view of the deceased attempting to dig in his pockets while resisting arrest.
At the end of the second video released from behind the one of the officers he does pull out a firearm. He was carrying illegally (if I'm not mistaken). I could not imagine the stress that goes along with being a LEO and for that low amount of pay it does not seem worth it to some, me included.

Nothing good happens after dark, after reading a few more articles Alton did have a criminal record (Not that that justified the LEOs actions). I agree it does not look good, I just wonder what happened before the shooting of Alton.
Beiruty wrote:Does NOT look good, nor the other incident where a simple traffic stop ended with CHLer being shot and killed while he is seated in his car.
I just watched a video on the incident that happened in Minnesota. I think that could have something to do with what happened in Baton Rouge. LEOs are on edge just as much as the public.
Beiruty wrote:Officers may not like someone fumbling in his car before they approach the stopped vehicle. However, I may try to do what you are referring to. At night I put the cabin or reading lights on.
In my LTC class I was told to have everything ready before the officer pulls up and to keep your hands on the steering wheel.

All in all, I think these incidents happening so close together something bad is coming.

I pray all of our LEOs out there stay safe and protect yourself.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flintknapper »

NTexCopRetired wrote:Concealed carry/open carry has created a new dynamic for peace officers to deal with. Training has to be adjusted in some way to allow for this change without jeopardizing officer safety. I was trained to immediately yell "gun" to other officers present if a gun was spotted in a vehicle or on a person being detained. That always resulted in guns being drawn by the officers. It is pretty obvious how that scenario quickly escalates the tension level.

I don't have an answer, I just know the training needs to be altered. There is also an obligation on the part of those that legally carry a firearm. We always role play what to do if we encounter a bad guy. Consider what you will do and how you will act when being contacted by law enforcement. A traffic stop in the afternoon is one thing. A situation where an incident was reported to police involving you and it is after dark calls for a different mind set on the CHL holders part. For me, step one would be placing my hands on the back of my head and saying "Officer, I am legally carrying a firearm. It is located xxxxxxxxxx. I am fine with you removing the weapon before asking me for ID."
I don't know the answer either, but Officers have had 20 years to develop training concerning concealed carry.

Not to paint with too broad a brush...but it concerns me when MANY officers come out of today's academies with this (or something like it) drummed in their heads:

Police Academy Creed (this was read to one of our LEO members while he was in training).

"If today is to be THE DAY, so be it. If you seek to do battle with me this day you will receive the best that I am capable of giving.
It may not be enough, but it will be everything that I have to give and it will be impressive for I have constantly prepared myself for this day. I have trained, drilled, and rehearsed my actions so that I might have the best chance of defeating you.

I have kept myself in peak physical condition, schooled myself in the martial skills and have become proficient in the application of combat tactics. You may defeat me, but you will pay a severe price and will be lucky to escape with your life.

You may kill me, but I am willing to die if necessary. I do not fear Death, for I have been close enough to it on enough occasions that it no longer concerns me.

But I do fear the loss of my Honor and would rather die fighting than to have it said that I was without Courage.
So I WILL FIGHT YOU, no matter how insurmountable it may seem, and to the death if need be, in order that it may never be said of me that I was not a Warrior."

INSTEAD OF THIS:

Police Officer’s Creed

"As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard
lives and property, to protect the innocent against deception, the ‐weak against
oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect
the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality, and justice.

I‐will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all, maintain courageous calm in
the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self‐restraint; and be constantly mindful
of the welfare of others.

Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official
life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my
department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in
my official capacity ‐will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the
performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or
friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless
prosecution of criminals, I‐will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without
fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never
accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public
trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly
strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself to my chosen
profession... law enforcement."
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Return to “Off-Topic”