TX: Walmart sued for selling 60 aerosol cans to woman-weirdest thing you will read today

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

TX: Walmart sued for selling 60 aerosol cans to woman-weirdest thing you will read today

Post by philip964 »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/walma ... s-to-woman

Woman found dead in her car in the Walmart parking lot. Came in to Walmart nine times to buy cans of aerosol. Walmart sold them to her.

She was bottomless and could not control her bodily functions, but they continued to sell the cans to her.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: Walmart sued for selling 60 aerosol cans to woman-weirdest thing you will read today

Post by Dave2 »

You're right: that's the weirdest thing I read today.

Sad story :-(
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
philip964

Re: TX: Walmart sued for selling 60 aerosol cans to woman-weirdest thing you will read today

Post by philip964 »

Dave2 wrote:You're right: that's the weirdest thing I read today.

Sad story :-(
Yes very sad.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Sad.... it's to bad that things like this happen, but, if someone wants to hurt themself it's almost impossible to stop them.
This, however was preventable with the checker calling a manager & them making a phone call. Maybe 911.
Bottomless ??? :banghead: :banghead:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

As usual for reporting a lot of info missing. First who is suing? Also how do they know she wasn't wearing pants when she was in the Store? And even so, a long shirt covers a lot. Wal Mart has rotating clerks and multiple registers, so how can they know what she had bought over an extended period of time?
Finally, we're the aerosols, a controlled substance? Or were they available for sale with no restrictions?

I don't see Wal Mart being held liable in this case, but will probably settle out of court, and now we will all have to sign a waiver before buying anything that can be misused.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

More to the story. She was apparently dead in the truck on the parking lot for two days before being noticed http://www.click2houston.com/news/woman ... arking-lot
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

usurp31

Post by usurp31 »

Geez... I know it takes all kinds but... what some people are thinking & doing, I'll never have the capacity to understand. Sad situation.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Pretty strange story, but I don't think Walmart will lose or settle out of court.
The poor lady did it to herself. RIP
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

It doesn't say what kind of aerosol it was, I have sent my housekeeping supervisor out to buy air freshener in aerosol cans and she has gotten 30 at a time.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jusme wrote:It doesn't say what kind of aerosol it was, I have sent my housekeeping supervisor out to buy air freshener in aerosol cans and she has gotten 30 at a time.
May I suggest you guys bathe more often?? :biggrinjester:

Seriously, if the article is accurate, there were a lot of warning signs that should have triggered at least a person at Walmart to do some observation of her into the parking lot, and even a possible call to the police for a welfare check on the woman. However, we all know that the many of the people who work at Walmart don't have as high a degree of skills and in turn may not be as situationally aware as many of us here on the forum are.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ELB

Post by ELB »

Call me cynical but I think Walmart is at significant risk of being found "guilty" of having a lot of $$$ versus the poor bereaved family. I think Walmart employees would have been on the ball to call the cops and/or EMS, but I don't think it is their fault that she huffed 30 cans of aerosol spray. For that matter, I also doubt she just decided that day to go on an huffing binge for the first time in her life, I can't imagine that her family didn't see just as many signs of trouble in the past as Walmart did.
USAF 1982-2005

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

I'm not going to say that Wally World should be liable legally, but let's be realistic about this. The woman came in without pants on. I worked at a Walmart for a while, and that still would have gotten my attention. She came in the the store nine times and bought sixty cans of something that can be abused by huffing it, presumably between rounds of doing so. She can't use the self checkout without interacting with an employee because you have to present ID when buying anything like that. (I had to show ID the other day to buy a can of compressed air, for crying out loud.) I never see a Walmart with more than two or three lines open. The same employees had to have contact with the woman more than once. Somebody should have checked on her or called the cops or something. Did she do it to herself? Sure. Were there some screamingly obvious warning signs that something should be done? It sure seems like it. Regardless, what a sad, pointless end to a young woman's life.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Jusme wrote:It doesn't say what kind of aerosol it was, I have sent my housekeeping supervisor out to buy air freshener in aerosol cans and she has gotten 30 at a time.
It's usually the spray you use to clean your keyboards and stuff. I think one of the brand names is "Duster"

I only know because I knew a person who got really hooked on that stuff. It's really scary. It's also known as "hippie crack" although not to be confused with nitrous oxide... the other hippie crack.

I won't link anything, but all you need to do is search youtube for hippie crack or huffing duster and can see just how bad it is.

Return to “Off-Topic”