TX: Lockhart hot air balloon with 16 on board burns and crashes - no survivors

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 9

Re: TX: Lockhart hot air balloon with 16 on board burns and crashes - no survivors

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Nano wrote:Is 16 people in a balloon basket common place? I didn't realize they carried that many.
Keith, what's your take on this? I too have never heard of a 16 passenger balloon. That sounds like blimp or dirigible capacity!

Chas.
There are larger ride balloons than this, but mostly overseas. It was a 300,000 cubic foot envelope (the balloon part). That is basically the volume of 300,000 soccer balls inside the balloon. Amount of lift is based on the size of the envelope, so the larger the envelope the more they can carry below in the basket. They can go up to as much as 750,000 cubic feet and carry 32 passengers. Here is a link to that balloon http://www.cameronballoons.co.uk/news/t ... de-balloon This was one of the bigger ones in the US. The balloon system was built by a company in the Czech Republic. They are STC'ed for flight here in the US.

Not sure of all details yet. I have a policy of not trying to speculate too much on cause until I know enough details to make an educated comment. Bottom line, it appears something caused the basket to catch on fire (power line strike or maybe a fuel leak) and the passengers all perished.

Prayers for all of the families and friends of those lost in this tragic accident.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Re: TX: Lockhart hot air balloon with 16 on board burns and crashes - no survivors

Post by ELB »

So wife confirms that was the operator we were supposed to go with. Maybe not now.

Awful for everyone.
USAF 1982-2005

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

It appears that power lines were intercepted by the balloon:

http://www.surenews.com/tragedy/tragedy ... -accident/

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

From reports by the NTSB the basket separated from the balloon when it struck power lines. There is also now information that says there may have been low visibility encountered, which would have made it difficult to see the power lines.

The question now is if the pilot did a pre-flight check of weather with Flight Service or DUATS and was the forecast for MVFR or IFR conditions to occur in the area during or after launch time
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

FL450

Post by FL450 »

There was a reported 45 min delay in launch.
not sure if due to vis but like Kieth B mentioned dont like to speculate but as a pilot power lines are hard to see in low vis.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

If the basket hit those high-power cross country power lines, it's likely they were all killed instantly.

Any way you slice it, this is a terrible tragedy.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

dlh

Post by dlh »

Check out this article. It is quite alarming. I assume the Texas Department of Public Safety will conduct a blood/chemical profile of the balloon operator.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/31/nt ... ng-16.html
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Alarming that someone with any type of commercial pilot license can have two alcohol arrests and one arrest for distributing a controlled substance. I guess that I just assumed that things like that would preclude having that license. Silly me.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Keith B wrote:From reports by the NTSB the basket separated from the balloon when it struck power lines. There is also now information that says there may have been low visibility encountered, which would have made it difficult to see the power lines.

The question now is if the pilot did a pre-flight check of weather with Flight Service or DUATS and was the forecast for MVFR or IFR conditions to occur in the area during or after launch time
Where is the nearest airport?

Flight Service can only report what it gets from airports with weather observation, and what it picks up from satellites. I've taken off quite a few times in weather flight service deemed VFR, but once away from airports, anything goes. Localized haze or light fog wouldn't be noticed. That doesn't mean you fly into it, of course.

I've only been on balloons twice. It seems like you have to be well ahead of the present, like on a large ship where it takes time and distance to change your path.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

John Galt
Posts in topic: 5

Post by John Galt »

JALLEN wrote: Where is the nearest airport?

Flight Service can only report what it gets from airports with weather observation, and what it picks up from satellites. I've taken off quite a few times in weather flight service deemed VFR, but once away from airports, anything goes. Localized haze or light fog wouldn't be noticed. That doesn't mean you fly into it, of course.

I've only been on balloons twice. It seems like you have to be well ahead of the present, like on a large ship where it takes time and distance to change your path.
You are correct.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Prayers for the friends and families.

While someone may want to check too, but by my rough calculations, they traveled that 8 miles in around 37 minutes. Approx 13 mph. Rather breezy in my opinion for a sunrise launch, knowing winds would likely increase as the morning heated up. And that kind of wind would tend to bust up most "summertime fog" near ground level, if there ever was any. And this time of year with 100 degree days, there is generally very good daylight and excellent visibility by 7:30 a.m. Time will tell what the pros determine .....
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WTR »

The FAA needs to be sued for granting this guy a license.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Greybeard wrote:Prayers for the friends and families.

While someone may want to check too, but by my rough calculations, they traveled that 8 miles in around 37 minutes. Approx 13 mph. Rather breezy in my opinion for a sunrise launch, knowing winds would likely increase as the morning heated up. And that kind of wind would tend to bust up most "summertime fog" near ground level, if there ever was any. And this time of year with 100 degree days, there is generally very good daylight and excellent visibility by 7:30 a.m. Time will tell what the pros determine .....
Winds aloft can be moving at 10+ a few hundred feet off the ground, and be totally calm on the surface. They may never get a breeze that moves down after the layer burns off. I flew a flight one time where I was doing 30kts at 300 feet AGL and the surface was only 5kts. Not uncommon in the plains states to have a nocturnal layer that dissipates a few hours after sunrise.
Keith

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/hot-a ... adly-crash

Pilot had a history of close calls and prison.

Came to Texas to start over.

RIP poor folks, you probably had no idea a man who would be barred from getting a pilots license was flying you.

rotor

Post by rotor »

WTR wrote:The FAA needs to be sued for granting this guy a license.
Too soon to make a judgement call on this. The pilot's prior history may have nothing to do with this accident. Let's let it play out.

Return to “Off-Topic”