This Day In Texas History - August 1

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 3

This Day In Texas History - August 1

Post by joe817 »

1731 - On this day in 1731, Capt. Juan Antonio Pérez de Almazán, the commander of San Antonio de Béxar Presidio, presided over what was probably the first election in Texas history. In March he had welcomed a group of settlers from the Canary Islands by laying out a place for their homes and by establishing a municipal government. The immigrants formed the nucleus of the villa of San Fernando de Béxar, the first regularly organized civil government in Texas. On August 1 the new city council met to elect alcaldes, and electoral politics was off and running.

1832 - James Bullock, accompanied by 300 men including Jim Bowie, arrive at Nacogdoches and lay seige to the Mexican garrison located there led by José de las Piedras. 30 Mexicans are killed, and the garrison flees south. A month before, in response to the Anahuac uprising, Piedras ordered that all citizens under his jurisdiction surrender their weapons. Bowie caught up to the fleeing Mexicans, ambushed them, and brought them back to Nacogdoches. Now that the Mexican army was driven out of East Texas, Texans were now free to assemble without fear of Mexican intervention. In response, Mexico assembled their forces in Mexico City, and launched one of the greatest military expeditions in history, moving men, horses and equipment, over a thousand miles to retake Texas for the rebellious Texians.

1839 - In Austin, the new capital of Texas, the first sale of town lots was held.

1845 - U.S. troops under General Zachary Taylor landed on St. Joseph Island to protect Texas from Mexican interference after annexation. The week before, on July 26, the U.S. flag was raised by a detachment from the main force.

1861 - The controversial John R. Baylor declared himself governor of the Confederate Territory of Arizona in what is now Mesilla, New Mexico. Baylor, born in Kentucky in 1822, had come to Texas at an early age. During the Civil War he commanded the Second Texas Mounted Rifles, who were ordered to occupy a chain of forts protecting the overland route between Fort Clark and Fort Bliss. In July 1861 Baylor seized Mesilla without opposition and pursued the federal Seventh Infantry, which had evacuated Fort Fillmore, east into the Organ Mountains. Baylor secured their surrender in the battle of Mesilla at San Augustine Pass on July 27. Though he was subsequently promoted to colonel, Baylor was succeeded in Mesilla by Henry Hopkins Sibley and removed from command in the spring of 1862 after ordering the extermination of the local Apache Indians. The victory at Mesilla was nonetheless one of the war's early and surprising Confederate successes, and Baylor's dashing actions in the summer of 1861 added to his fame as a folk hero. He died in 1894.

1923 - Niles City was annexed to Fort Worth. This took place after the Texas Legislature had passed a bill that allowed cities of more than 50,000 people to absorb neighboring towns of less than 2,000.

1952 - Houston's Gulf Freeway in finished. What remains is minor cleanup, excavation, signage, and striping. Later, The Gulf Freeway will become part of the Interstate Highway system as I-45 which extends from downtown Dallas, through Houston, and ending in downtown Galveston.

1966 - On this date in 1966, Charles J. Whitman began a killing rampage that left seventeen dead and thirty-one wounded in one of the worst mass murders in modern United States history. Whitman first killed his mother in her apartment and his wife in their residence. He then went to the tower on the University of Texas campus where he clubbed a receptionist, who later died, then killed two other people and wounded two more. Gaining the observation deck at an elevation of 231 feet he began firing on persons crossing the campus and others on nearby streets, killing ten and wounding thirty-one (one died a week later). Police returned his fire from the ground while police officers Ramiro Martinez and Houston McCoy gained the observation deck, where they shot and killed Whitman. An autopsy revealed a tumor in Whitman's head but medical authorities disagreed over its effect on his actions.

1973 - The notorious "Chicken Ranch" in La Grange was closed by DPS officers under orders from Governor Dolph Briscoe. Briscoe was pressured by a bombardment of stories by celebrity news reporter Marvin Zindler of KTRK-TV. With the help of reports from Texas Attorney General John Hill, Zindler exposed the local officials who allowed the illegal brothel to operate under their noses. DPS investigations revealed that in the last two days of operation, 484 clients visited the cat house. Finally, under Govenor Briscoe's orders, it was closed after 130 years of continuous operation, on this date in 1973.

1985 - At Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, 137 people were killed when a Delta Air Lines jumbo jet crashed while attempting to land.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: This Day In Texas History - August 1

Post by Skiprr »

Wow, 1973...that long ago.

Suddenly, I have a hankerin' to go play some ZZ Top...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

Skiprr wrote:Wow, 1973...that long ago.

:smilelol5: :lol: :cheers2:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ELB

Post by ELB »

1966 - On this date in 1966, .... Police returned his fire from the ground...
Not just police...

... while police officers Ramiro Martinez and Houston McCoy gained the observation deck, where they shot and killed Whitman.
They were also accompanied by a civilian with a long arm.

I remember reading an account by someone on campus that day, who was visiting a professor in the professor's office. When the shooting started, the professor took his hunting rifle off of his filing cabinet and went to see what he could do.
USAF 1982-2005

TheCytochromeC

Post by TheCytochromeC »

I was too young to know anything about it, but now the song makes absolute sense.

Thanks for a great TDITH!

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I could not resist your invitation:

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Talk about a blast from the past!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

Skiprr wrote:Wow, 1973...that long ago. Suddenly, I have a hankerin' to go play some ZZ Top...
I'm gonna have LaGrange buzzing around in my head all day long!
ELB wrote:

1966 - On this date in 1966, .... Police returned his fire from the ground...
Not just police...
... while police officers Ramiro Martinez and Houston McCoy gained the observation deck, where they shot and killed Whitman.
They were also accompanied by a civilian with a long arm.

I remember reading an account by someone on campus that day, who was visiting a professor in the professor's office. When the shooting started, the professor took his hunting rifle off of his filing cabinet and went to see what he could do.
I watched the whole thing unfold on TV. I had just come back from summer school classes I was taking at TCU and it was being broadcast live. Several civilians had their deer rifles and was returning fire. You could see puffs of smoke at the top of the tower, as bullets ricocheted off the tower. A horrible event.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “Off-Topic”