Engineering/Construction fail in the works in SF

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Engineering/Construction fail in the works in SF

Post by Dave2 »

Apparently an 8-yo, 58-story, residential tower is maybe falling over. To be clear, the article merely claims that it's "tilting", but I've been watching a lot of "Yes, Minister" lately (fascinating documentary on how government works), so I'm pretty sure that "tilting" is just misdirectionese for "falling over, slowly (for now)".

I should probably tell my dad about it tomorrow, since he works nearby.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/01/sw ... lting.html
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

philip964

Re: Engineering/Construction fail in the works in SF

Post by philip964 »

Apparently it has settled 16 inches and tilted 2 inches.

Imagine what will happen when an earthquake causes liquifaction of that soft compressible gumbo it is apparently founded on. Wow.

16 inches of settlement is a lot. I hoped they planned for that. Opening the front door usually is a problem if settlement exceeds one half an inch.

Yeah I would say that something like that hurts property values of a condo. Condos in San Fransisco start at about 1 million for a 450 sf old run down studio type place with no parking. Can't even imagine how much you would spend for a new condo in a high rise.

The metro station to me is shallow to the bottom of the high rises foundation. If it was below the foundation they might have a claim.

Condo's are a lawsuit nightmare for all involved.

Topic author
Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

philip964 wrote:Imagine what will happen when an earthquake causes liquifaction of that soft compressible gumbo it is apparently founded on. Wow.
Yeah... Makes me wonder if it was built to SF's earthquake code in the first place.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Dave2 wrote:
philip964 wrote:Imagine what will happen when an earthquake causes liquifaction of that soft compressible gumbo it is apparently founded on. Wow.
Yeah... Makes me wonder if it was built to SF's earthquake code in the first place.
It probably was... give or take a kickback or two.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Don't you love "Yes, Minister!" And the sequel "Yes, Prime Minister!"?

For those in the dark, these are British tv series from the early '80's, certainly comedy, about the best written and acted series I've ever seen.

The episodes are online now.

Here's the first one:

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I watch them all the time! Never talked to anyone else who had even heard of the shows....they are very funny indeed and likely close to the real thing in many areas . A memorable line is when Hacker asks Bernerd "Whose side will the Civil Service be on?" and his response is "the winning side".
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Pawpaw wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
It probably was... give or take a kickback or two.
San Fransisco is very strict code wise. They are liberals. They will take your money and then words prohibited on this forum.

They have no shame.

ELB

Post by ELB »

The Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister series is superb. It is one of the few long-running series that didn't seem to become tired long before it ended.

Unfortunately it was eerily prescient, despite its setting in a different nation, of how contemptuous of its citizens a large part of the civil service has become.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”