Water - How Much?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Water - How Much?

Post by G26ster »

I didn't want to hijack the Yeti thread, but it reminded me, so I'm starting a new one.

It never seems to amaze me how many people feel they will suffer some ill effects if they don't have their precious water supply with them everywhere they go. How in heavens's name did we ever survive the entire history of mankind without carrying a bottle of water everywhere? Comedian Lewis Black had a great routine about folks carrying their bottled water in a sling in front of them like a "little baby" as seemed to believe they needed it, like they were crossing the Gobi Desert every day. And they were very proud that their urine had "no color." Sure, right now in the Texas heat one must keep hydrated, especially if you stay exposed to the heat for long periods. But please, even those that never leave the air conditioned comfort of their home, business, vehicle, or other climate controlled places have that ever-present water supply with them at all times. I know, TEOTWAWKI can happen anytime, and I know they will feel a lot better to have that extra few minutes of life because they have their water supply with them ;-)

Here's some interesting articles about how much water one needs. Take your pick:

https://www.google.com/search?q=are+we+ ... 8&oe=utf-8

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Water - How Much?

Post by mojo84 »

Why worry about how much water others drink? I just focus on how much I want to drink.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I can tell you that right now, as hot as it is, I go through 5-6 16oz bottles in 15 minutes when out on grass or structure fire.
Even then, sometimes I feel little out of it from dehydration.

So, yes. I agree with Mojo on this. I just focus on how much I want to drink...water that is :cheers2:

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I probably have 3-4 16oz bottles of water a day, and make that 5-6 easy if I'm outside working. Last weekend when it was 103 I probably drank 3 in a row.

One thing I have done is cut down on soft drinks drastically in the last several months and I feel much better with water/tea as my main drinks and a few Dr Peppers sprinkled in and not constant.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

I drink plenty of water when outside in this heat. I also eat smaller meals.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Outside in the heat, I've always heard a gallon per day is not excessive.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

treadlightly wrote:Outside in the heat, I've always heard a gallon per day is not excessive.
Last time I was out at the ranch mowing and putting out some corn and protein, I counted 164 oz of liquids from sunup to sundown. Three 44 oz poweraid fountain drinks, plus two 16oz water bottles while on the tractor.

Going out tomorrow to put up a new blind and feeder... almost done with a 32 oz nalgene full of water (won't count for tomorrow's total).

A gallon is very doable in the heat. Scary part is that I barely have to pee on days like that.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

There were hoses in every yard.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

AJSully421 wrote:
treadlightly wrote:Outside in the heat, I've always heard a gallon per day is not excessive.
Last time I was out at the ranch mowing and putting out some corn and protein, I counted 164 oz of liquids from sunup to sundown. Three 44 oz poweraid fountain drinks, plus two 16oz water bottles while on the tractor.

Going out tomorrow to put up a new blind and feeder... almost done with a 32 oz nalgene full of water (won't count for tomorrow's total).

A gallon is very doable in the heat. Scary part is that I barely have to pee on days like that.
:iagree: When I'm out working in this type of heat, I don't keep count of the number of 16 0z. bottles I drink....I count the number of 2 liter bottles I drink, or gallon jugs. You sweat it out almost as fast as you can take it in(thus the reason you don't have to go). And I take the old fashioned salt tablets a couple of times a day. And I always tank up before I go to bed knowing I'm gonna be out in the heat the next day. Remember, hydration doesn't happen when you need it. You have to start hydrating 8 hrs BEFORE you need it. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

OlBill wrote:There were hoses in every yard.
:iagree:

And working water fountains were prevalent

Paying for water still aggravates me.

We bought a Big Berkey years ago for the house - highly recommend this piece of kit.
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasTornado »

I try (and usually fail) to do 7-8 glasses a day. If nothing else it stabilizes my weight so it doesn't fluctuate so much day to day. It also helps with a host of other things...I'll save ya'lls poor male eyes with the details tho.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by steveincowtown »

The humans body is somewhat like a toilet when it comes to water. Too little water and it won't work, too much and it can really mess things up.

I drink 3-4 40 oz jugs of water a day, and I work indoors. This is borderline too much, and I have had sodium issues in the past. You would have to drink an insane amount of water to have toxicity issues.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

Being in the A/C business I am in the heat most of the day. I don't count how much water I drink in a day but I go through a case every couple of days. I went down with heat stroke several years ago and was told I would be more susceptible to it now. The older I get the less heat I can take without water.
I actually had a customer complain yesterday because I had just replaced a part in the refrigeration circuit and was pulling a vacuum to remove any moisture. Doing that there is really nothing to do so while the pump was running I grabbed a bottle of water and stepped a few feet away into the shade. She saw this and came out yelling that she wasn't paying me to stand around and drink water. BTW, it was 107 in the shade yesterday.
I drink when I feel I need it so it is nothing for me to drink a gallon or more
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

stash

Post by stash »

steveincowtown wrote:The humans body is somewhat like a toilet when it comes to water. Too little water and it won't work, too much and it can really mess things up.

I drink 3-4 40 oz jugs of water a day, and I work indoors. This is borderline too much, and I have had sodium issues in the past. You would have to drink an insane amount of water to have toxicity issues.
Steve - what does it do the body if you drink to much? My wife is always on me saying I drink to much (I am either outside working in the sun or sitting in my garage reading with a fan blowing on me and sweating like a pig). I just hate the thought of having to pass a kidney stone. I try to keep as dilute as possible.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I recently went to an ENT doc because I was having to clear my throat constantly.

Doc said drink at least a gallon of water a day and my problem would clear up (mostly) in a couple of weeks.

Return to “Off-Topic”