America to hand off Internet in under two months

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 8

Re: America to hand off Internet in under two months

Post by parabelum »

treadlightly wrote:First, I don't like easing American control over the Internet, and neither should any free citizen of any nationality.

However, there is nothing magic about DNS besides consensus, and there isn't much of a mothership database. DNS data is highly distributed across millions of individual DNS servers.

A dozen or so root name servers are all there is to the centralized part of DNS, and they are running software anyone can download for free. The root name servers don't really do anything different from the local name server in your office, or at your ISP.

Domain names are read right-to-left, and there is an invisible dot at the right hand side. So, you search for http://www.texaschlforum.com. (even if you don't put the dot in, it's hypothetically there). "Dot" is the root DNS zone.

Your machine asks one of the DNS servers it's been told about, probably at your ISP, for http://www.texaschlforum.com.

If the ISP's DNS server has just been booted up, it doesn't have a clue where that is, so it refers to a static list of name servers it knows about, likely listed in a file called named.cache, and asks where to find "com".

The root name servers (actually whichever one your ISP's DNS server decided to ask) gets referred to a list of name servers for .com sites.

Next it asks the .com DNS servers for texaschlforum, and follows a reference to the authoritative name servers for texaschlforum.com, which return the IP address for http://www.texaschlforum.com. Your ISP's DNS machine will also remember the result for a while. Each DNS entry (zone, actually) advertises how long addresses should be remembered. That's unenforceable, but it's a nice convention.

It is trivial to set up your own root name server. The trick to getting it to be of any good would be ISP's listing your new root name servers in their named.cache files. I've often thought we should have widely available shadow DNS systems.

It wouldn't be hard, other than getting everyone to agree on what to use.
Thank you for the thorough explanation!

What nefarious effects would U.S. consumer and/site owner potentially face with this switch?

More specifically, would this result in non-U.S. elected governing body to regulate (censor) the U.S. entity and/or consumer more freely?

My suspicion is that these traitors in WH want to silence thise of us who despise them, and control what we mere Citizens can access on the Web. Right now, they still have to somewhat loosely answer to us if they wish to remain in power.
With this change, I fear that NWO could simply use foreign governing body to decide who gets locked out of playground and who stays.

I want to believe that this is nothing, but again, my gut tells me this stinks, and is in no way beneficial to our Country.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mr1337 »

I don't agree with the US having the keys to the DNS servers. In fact, I don't think any government should control the Internet. The Internet is free (as in libre) and government involvement of any kind, from any country, will only muddle that fact.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Ok folks, I guess I'm just that paranoid and untrusting of this "transition", that I simply don't buy that this will be anything but deleterious to our Freedoms.

We will see in due time the results of this, and if this post is still available by then, and I wish that my unease about this proves to be unwarranted by then.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

chl-dawg wrote:sheesh, we created the internet and we should control the darn thing !
Welcome to malignant globalism and accompanying Chinese style controls on internet "behaviors".

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

For a calming thought, remember that the vast bulk of the Internet is privately owned. Controlling it, as someone famous once said, is like herding cats.

techenigma

Post by techenigma »

As far as I know there is no centralization of the internet. Does it really matter who controls it? Hell if it disappeared tomorrow Wed get along just fine as we did before it. Hell we'd be better off honestly.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I think some of you are in for a surprise, thinking that this has no nefarious consequences.

"The only thing worse than a monopoly overseen by the U.S. government is a monopoly overseen by no one—or by a Web-censoring U.N."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/an-internet ... 1472421165

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Just another way for Obummer trying to destroy America from within and no one does a thing to stop it. I'm sure it has to do with the so called One World Order.

Return to “Off-Topic”