Users browsing this forum...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ryan
Posts in topic: 2

Users browsing this forum...

Post by Ryan »

I've got a few questions for y'all. While perusing the forum I have often noticed at the bottom the list of users browsing this forum. And almost always I see a Bing [BOT]

What/Who is this? It's obviously not an active member. Is this someone who is not a member but is on the forum anyway? I'm FAR from being computer literate and always thought that BOT's are bad things.

Also, with all the anti's out to steal any kind of information they can use against us, wouldn't it be better/safer for this forum to only be visible to those of us that are active members of the forum?

Can anyone clarify? Please and thank you!

Smokey613
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Users browsing this forum...

Post by Smokey613 »

Probably Microsoft's BING web search tool. All your search engines "crawl" through websites gathering information. It's been a common practice for several years.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Search engines indexing the forum for search results.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I don't worry about anti-gun folks trying to get any info from us, we tell the truth on here, so it won't register with them anyway. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

DocV

Post by DocV »

The internet tech community has an unfortunately limited vocabulary. Not all "bots" are bad. Search robots, such as Bing's or Google's, are generally benign and honor automated search limitations set by a web site operator through a standardized "robots.txt" mechanism. As a web site gains in popularity, "search-bots" may index the site more frequently. There is an entire industry build around driving search-bots towards a particular site, which may artificially inflate the site's search engine rankings. Some search engine optimization services have been used by scammers as-well-as legitimate business but such activities are not indicators of evil intent on the part of the bot.

Attack bots, on the other hand, are usually thought of as being "bad" bots. Usually this type of bot is housed on the computers of unwitting accomplices whose computer resources have been purloined into the hands of those who will do evil. I prefer to refer to evil bots as zombies or drones. I can drone on about the various bot phylums ad-nauseum and usually do on Mondays and Wednesdays at 1PM in room 304. If you are suddenly struck with a bout of insomnia, drop by for my fifty-minute cure.

Topic author
Ryan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ryan »

Thanks for the information y'all. I appreciate it AND I can say I actually learned something today!

Return to “Off-Topic”