Texas's Longest Serving Governor Will Be...on Dancing with the Stars

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Rhino1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas's Longest Serving Governor Will Be...on Dancing with the Stars

Post by Rhino1 »

twomillenium wrote: Now, I would definitely support Perry over Cornyn, but Perry over Cruz would be a step in the wrong direction.
I agree. Like many on this forum was a big Cruz supporter. Will have to rethink my support when he runs for Senate reelection. Pretty much just tolerated Cornyn. My view was partially tainted by a joint Perry/Cornyn mailer I received several elections back. It was targeted toward veterans. It touted Rick Perry's service in the Air Force as a C-130 pilot. Cornyn took credit for the fact that his FATHER had served!
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasTornado »

Rhino1 wrote:
twomillenium wrote: Now, I would definitely support Perry over Cornyn, but Perry over Cruz would be a step in the wrong direction.
I agree. Like many on this forum was a big Cruz supporter. Will have to rethink my support when he runs for Senate reelection. Pretty much just tolerated Cornyn. My view was partially tainted by a joint Perry/Cornyn mailer I received several elections back. It was targeted toward veterans. It touted Rick Perry's service in the Air Force as a C-130 pilot. Cornyn took credit for the fact that his FATHER had served!
I'm not sure how you would "take credit" for anyone else's service... I know I am proud of my dad's service and that of both of my grand father's. They have taught me the importance of duty to country and of the sacrifices of those who serve. These are the heroes that inspire me and who have shaped me as a person.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Skiprr wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Back in the 1970s, when I (yes me, the crusty bearded old one) was taking ballet classes, I found out for myself just how difficult dance is, and the degree of athleticism it demands from the people who study it.
Bit of Texas firearm industry trivia:

A gentleman many of you have likely met or seen at major events like the NRA national meetings or state- and national-level IDPA, USPSA, and 3-gun competitions, founded a successful firearms accessory company whose name you undoubtedly know. He got into the business because he absolutely is a shooter, and has also been an advanced defensive shooting instructor (I had the privilege of having him assist John Farnam in a couple of classes I took years ago in Victoria). He saw a niche in the firearm market that needed filling, and has done very well. I don't think you can pick up any gun magazine and not see an ad for, or mention of, his company. In fact, his company name is right there on the cover of the Fall 2016 IDPA Tactical Journal.

Am I doing a good enough job of not completely giving it away? ;-)

Point being, guess how he earned his living in an earlier stage of his career, as far back as the mid-'80s? Yep: professional ballet dancer. He was a principle with the Houston Ballet, has performed from here to New York, and even danced leading roles in Don Quixote, Mahler's Song of the Earth (he danced the American premier of that one), and others.

Nothing to do with Gov. Perry on Dancing with the Stars, but just a reinforcement of TAM's comment.
This issue: http://www.idpa.com/content/tactical-jo ... 6V20I3.pdf?

I'm only acquainted with people who shoot IDPA or 3 gun locally, and I don't compete in those two disciplines myself, so I can't make out the reference. The cover in the above link only has one product on it - a S&W pistol. Sorry I'm a bit dense about it, but who is the man you're referencing? Just curious.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Skiprr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Skiprr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:This issue: http://www.idpa.com/content/tactical-jo ... 6V20I3.pdf?

I'm only acquainted with people who shoot IDPA or 3 gun locally, and I don't compete in those two disciplines myself, so I can't make out the reference. The cover in the above link only has one product on it - a S&W pistol. Sorry I'm a bit dense about it, but who is the man you're referencing? Just curious.
Yep; that issue. I was trying not to blatantly give it away. :mrgreen: I'll send you a PM.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

...a successful firearms accessory company...
Look again - and not at the S&W. :txflag:
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Topic author
Skiprr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Skiprr »

n5wmk wrote:
...a successful firearms accessory company...
Look again - and not at the S&W. :txflag:
Don't give it away! :mrgreen:

Another hint: he's an IDPA 5-gun master, won one class of the annual African IDPA Championships twice, and currently also owns a 530-acre game preserve and private gun range here in Texas.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

got it!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I echo ELB's sentiments about there being nothing wrong with being on the show. I do actually watch it on a semi-regular basis, and I am entertained. There's nothing wrong with dance as either an art form or as entertainment......whether one is dancing to entertain, or being entertained by dance. And the whole "sissy stigma" is a bunch of crap. Back in the 1970s, when I (yes me, the crusty bearded old one) was taking ballet classes, I found out for myself just how difficult dance is, and the degree of athleticism it demands from the people who study it. At the time, there was a study done by (IIRC) the American College of Orthopeadic Surgeons which compared the fitness levels of various kinds of athletes/performers as groups, to try and determine which groups had the greatest fitness demands placed upon them. The "no-brainier" assumption for most people would have been something like either NFL athletes, or Olympians. It turns out that the two most fit categories of athletes in their studies were professional motocross racers, and professional ballet dancers. How many people reading my words right now are in such great shape that they can not only lift their wives over their heads, but then hold them up there in the air while they themselves dance around the room?

I was a mere tyro and took the classes because (a) I'm interested in dance as a spectator, and (b) it was one of the few interests my ex-wife and I could do together because she was not very tolerant of my other main interest — which was, at the time, martial arts. I found out just how hard dance really is, and so I have an appreciation for both those who perform it at the highest levels, and for those who have the courage to tackle it as an amateur avocation — especially in such a public forum as a TV show where they open themselves up for a certain amount of ridicule from people of smaller minds. Criticizing someone who shows up to compete on that show is like criticizing the person who has no chance of winning for having showed up at the Olympic trials and at least trying. That kind of courage is to be admired, not scoffed at. So for these amateurs to show up on DWTS, particularly when their own lack of ability is made more apparent by being paired with such brilliant professionals, takes a certain amount of personal courage. And even the pros - even for the "lower disciplines" like ballroom dancing - are pretty severely winded at the end of a routine. So for an amateur, it is grueling work, no matter how far down the totem pole they are found.

Laugh if you want. I'm actually little envious of them, and I would give anything to still be physically able to tackle dance if that's what I wanted to do. God bless Rick Perry for having the courage and the stamina to try — no matter what you think about him politically, or about the snowflake mentality of the judges, or any of that stuff. And I will say this too: despite the flamingly purple passion for the LGBTQ agenda possessed by the judges, out on the dance floor where it counts, they have been absolutely impartial in judging performances, regardless of the competitor's personal social or political background..... ....because they are being judged as dancers, and nothing else. In that light, they are a meritocracy. For example, they could have used the show to savage Sarah Palin's daughter (forgotten her name) when she competed, but they didn't. They dispensed almost nothing but praise.....because she was good at what she did on the show.

I probably see about half the episodes in any given season, but I think it is good entertainment, and I have no problem with Rick Perry being a contestant.

:iagree: Well said TAM. I also wish I had the physical ability to dance but my knees won't hold up. I have never been able to dance because as my wife says, "You have no rhythm and dancing with you is like dancing with an ironing board". :cryin Unfortunately, she loves to dance so from time to time I will take her someplace and she can dance all she wants and I will watch. Usually, we go with my son and his wife. He loves to dance and is good at it and his wife has less rhythm than I do.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I recently had the opportunity to hear Emmitt Smith speak - and he said DWTS was very demanding physically, much more so than he thought going into it.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasTornado »

twomillenium wrote:Let Perry dance, if he doesn't forget the steps in the middle of the performance. As far as wanting to run against Cruz, I hope he realizes the only voters he will probably attract are the liberals who think they are conservative. Cruz, by being a strict constitutionalist does tend to irritate liberals more so than most politicians do.
Now, I would definitely support Perry over Cornyn, but Perry over Cruz would be a step in the wrong direction.
Cruz irritates moderates as well as liberals. He also irritates conservatives who don't happen to be Christians or Christians who don't believe in mixing religion with politics. Personally I think he's just naturally irritating.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Why shouldn't he have some fun. He earned it for sure. He's retired and enjoying life.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

Line dancing requires far more athleticism than ballet, wait, ah, line dancing requires more athleticism than golfing, wait, line dancing requires more athleticism than square dancing, OK, Ok, line dancing aint square dancing, - alamande left and doesee doe, swing yer partner to and fro...

In the sixth grade, I was forced by our teacher into square dancing. I was mortified. I was left scarred for life.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

TexasTornado wrote:
twomillenium wrote:Let Perry dance, if he doesn't forget the steps in the middle of the performance. As far as wanting to run against Cruz, I hope he realizes the only voters he will probably attract are the liberals who think they are conservative. Cruz, by being a strict constitutionalist does tend to irritate liberals more so than most politicians do.
Now, I would definitely support Perry over Cornyn, but Perry over Cruz would be a step in the wrong direction.
Cruz irritates moderates as well as liberals. He also irritates conservatives who don't happen to be Christians or Christians who don't believe in mixing religion with politics. Personally I think he's just naturally irritating.
I stand by what I said.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Anyone like Cruz who irritates the Washington elites and GOP establishment is exactly the person I want in the Senate and who we need in the WH.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

anygunanywhere wrote:Anyone like Cruz who irritates the Washington elites and GOP establishment is exactly the person I want in the Senate and who we need in the WH.

But his Dad killed Kennedy. How can you support him? :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Off-Topic”