ATF arrests East Palestine man with nearly 200 firearm silencers

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ATF arrests East Palestine man with nearly 200 firearm silencers

Post by sugar land dave »

If someone is under probation for selling silencer kits, then doing something similar again is not a good thing.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

That's a silencer? What can it silence? A fly sitting on one of the cutouts when a round is fired?
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

That is noise making for anyone next to shooter.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

remanifest
Posts in topic: 2

Post by remanifest »

Honest question - why is a license required to sell something that purports to silence a weapon? Are the sales of silencers reported to the federal government, or are forms required to be kept by the seller?

Seems to me the market would decide what silencers perform optimally, and the guy would go out of business without a good product and a good strategy for entry to market.
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

ELB

Post by ELB »

If you slide a tube of appropriate inside diameter over that device, does it act as the baffles for a suppressor? In other words was he actually selling the guts of a suppressor?
USAF 1982-2005

remanifest

Post by remanifest »

ELB wrote:If you slide a tube of appropriate inside diameter over that device, does it act as the baffles for a suppressor? In other words was he actually selling the guts of a suppressor?
The news article seemed to imply that's a definite possibility to me:
wfmj.com wrote:See is still on probation from a 2014 conviction for possessing unregistered firearms after he sold an ATF undercover agent three kits that could be assembled to make a device used to diminish the report of a firearm.
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

remanifest wrote:Honest question - why is a license required to sell something that purports to silence a weapon? Are the sales of silencers reported to the federal government, or are forms required to be kept by the seller?

Seems to me the market would decide what silencers perform optimally, and the guy would go out of business without a good product and a good strategy for entry to market.
Because it falls under NFA

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The "solvent traps" seem to be pretty popular and I keep telling people not to buy them unless they plan on filing a form 1 to make it legal. At some point the ATF will crack down on people for having unregistered (i.e. no tax stamp) suppressors.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Skiprr wrote:That's a silencer? What can it silence? A fly sitting on one of the cutouts when a round is fired?

:iagree:

"rlol"

sheary

Post by sheary »

I hope President Trump will get rid of this nonsense. $200 tax and a background check to put a muffler on a gun, but they'll fine you if you don't put a muffler on your car. :banghead:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Is there any actual empirical evidence to suggest that SBRs and/or silencers are more "dangerous" and thusly require all this paperwork?
What's this NFA other then cash cow for the bureaucracy?

What, at 15.11" I'm not cool but at 16" I'm good to go?
If my firearm noise is dampened (I thought progs loved the serenity), then I'm a felon if I don't go through the bureaucracy? :banghead:

Full auto I get, as some can be little wild to control without proper training, but the rest is malarkey.

goose

Post by goose »

AndyC wrote:
ELB wrote:If you slide a tube of appropriate inside diameter over that device, does it act as the baffles for a suppressor? In other words was he actually selling the guts of a suppressor?
Got it in one - at least, that's the ATF's thought and I can't say I blame them.
Anyone that bought one of those off of ebay probably ought to have a fairly high pucker factor. I'd be looking for some way to show I still had it but that it could in NO way be used as the guts of a silencer. Maybe bent severely or the like, so it can't even be installed safely. If they will charge someone for having an oil filter adapter, I would bet they would charge a person for one of these. I would guess that they are already compiling the list of customers from ebay. The day after they get a conviction (edit: conviction of Mr See), they'll likely be visiting those customers.

I am one of those folks hoping that the hearing protection act, or similar, can get some traction.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Return to “Off-Topic”