Rest in Peace, Jim Pruett

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Skiprr
Posts in topic: 4

Rest in Peace, Jim Pruett

Post by Skiprr »

Jim Pruett, an icon of both Houston radio waves and gun sales, passed away Friday afternoon, September 2, 2016, at the age of 72.

Born January 25, 1944, he was most widely known as a member of the Texas Radio Hall of Fame and one half of the long-running "Stevens & Pruett" morning show on then-rock-station KLOL. In 1980, Pruett and his partner founded the Stevens and Pruett Ranch, a 38-acre facility on County Road 59 near Texas 288. The ranch, which included a chapel, at one time provided a home for troubled and abandoned young men aged 12 to 17.

More recently, Jim Pruett's Guns & Ammo became a fixture in the Cypress area and Jim, by dint of his media background and larger-than-life personality, found his way onto to numerous local network news broadcasts about matters relating to firearms. Always opinionated, scarcely a month went by when, for a few years there, he didn't appear on a TV news broadcast.

Jim suffered a massive heart attack on a Sunday in February 2013 when he was out in the garden planting marigolds with his wife. In no small part because one of his sons, Zac, a CPR instructor for the Austin Police Department, was home at the time and there to provide first aid, Jim survived.

After recovering, something Jim said was, "I just want to be kinder, warmer and more understanding as a human...take time to enjoy those moments of friendship." Not too long after, plans began to close down Jim Pruett's Guns & Ammo, which finally locked its doors in July 2014.

Jim is survived by his wife, Joy, sons Sam and Zac, and no doubt other family members I haven't met. As I find an obituary and learn about planned services, I'll post them here.

http://abc13.com/news/klols-jim-pruett- ... 2/1497031/

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 201366.php

Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Pruett

Post by Liberty »

He will be missed. One of the most effective 2nd amendment proponents we've had. and he was funny too :)
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

RIP. In the 20 years I spent in Houston th S & P show was my favorite
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

RIP Listened to S&P back in the day. I didn't know he was a gun guy. Prayers of comfort for his family and friends
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

My condolences to his friends and family. RIP

Topic author
Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

A few other photos:

Mark Stevens & Jim Pruett, 1987:

Jim in 2005:

Jim in his store, circa 2012:

Jim started doing some from-home broadcasting for Cypress Radio in 2014; this is one of their promo shots:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

Topic author
Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

This statement from the Pruett family was released this afternoon:
It is with great sadness that we share the news of Jim Pruett's passing yesterday due to heart failure. He was a wonderful husband to his wife Joy for 51 years and father to three sons Sam, Zac and Eric. He was an inspiration to many and a faithful Christian. Funeral arrangements will be private, but a public memorial service will be arranged at a later date. The Pruett family would like to thank everyone for their condolences and support.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Sad news. I listened to Stevens and Pruett when I lived in Houston in the late 80's to mid 90's. Condolences to his family.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Some of you who are as old as me probably listened to Jim Pruett and Mark Stevens when they were known as Hudson and Harrigan on 610 KILT. I never knew which one was which. They began using their own names around 1974 or 75.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Jim Pruett's public memorial service, a celebration of his life, will be held Saturday, October 1 at the Pub Fountains, 12720 Southwest Freeway, Stafford, 77477 (about two miles southwest of the Beltway), (281) 277-9333, http://www.thepubinstafford.com/; link to Google Maps. The celebration will begin at 2:00 p.m. and is likely to continue into the evening.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Wow, a blast from the past. I listened to Steven's and Pruett on the Eagle (KEGL 97.1fm.) during my high school years in D/FW area. They were THE top rated morning show from Feb. 1982- March 1986 in the D/FW area. I was a freshman when they started and graduated two months after they left for Houston (I think). RIP Mr. Pruett.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Return to “Off-Topic”