Lawsuit won after death

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PBR
Posts in topic: 3

Lawsuit won after death

Post by PBR »

Got a question in case anyone has been through something like this or knows what steps I need to take. My step-dad died couple years ago and was involved in Mesothelioma lawsuit. Well I was notified by a family member of mine that the suit was awarded and they are looking for family members since he passed away and my cousin is basically telling the law firm he is only living family member, when he isn't. He is just the only one who knows the lawyers info. I don't care who really ends up with any money as long as it isn't him. He has screwed over his entire family out of any and all inheritance. I rather give it too charity or anyone else. Any info on what steps I might be able to take or do on this?
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Lawsuit won after death

Post by Keith B »

I would contact an attorney and let them try and track down the lawsuit. They have methods of finding cases. They will probably want a small fee, but would be worth it to make sure the cousin doesn't get it.

Also, if the law firm that won the settlement does not do their due diligence to determine who the rightful ere's are, then I would think they would be liable for failing to make sure the settlement went to the appropriate recipients.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
PBR

Post by PBR »

I contacted Sokolove Law Firm as they came up when looking that suit up. I explained to a supervisor what is happening and that I wasn't even sure what law firm was handling it. He took mine and dad's info said it might take a day or two but he would get back with me on it. Sucks to hear this, I mean I loved him but we wasn't very close and honestly don't want any of the money (although I could use it) but I feel it should go to others who took care and helped him. My cousin did help him but on other hand screwed him over so much through life, and he has screwed over much of the family in this same style. He is doing very good with 1k's of acres of land living great while the rest of the family struggles to make it. I haven't talked to him in 20 yrs or more and not totally sure if I really have a leg to stand on being I was a step-child, but if I can see others get what they deserve or at least part of something.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RogueUSMC »

Did he adopt you by chance? If your stepdad adopted you, you have more of a leg to stand on actually.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
PBR

Post by PBR »

No wasn't adopted, I do have a handwritten will (if can find it) from him probably 30 yrs ago. Sokolove called back this morning getting little more info on everything. He said he should know more within next few days.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Keith B wrote:I would contact an attorney and let them try and track down the lawsuit. They have methods of finding cases. They will probably want a small fee, but would be worth it to make sure the cousin doesn't get it.

Also, if the law firm that won the settlement does not do their due diligence to determine who the rightful ere's are, then I would think they would be liable for failing to make sure the settlement went to the appropriate recipients.
I think the word you were looking for here is "heirs."
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Ere someone errs spelling heirs, they should look out for those who split hairs.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

C-dub wrote:
Keith B wrote:I would contact an attorney and let them try and track down the lawsuit. They have methods of finding cases. They will probably want a small fee, but would be worth it to make sure the cousin doesn't get it.

I think the word you were looking for here is "heirs."
Thank you spelling cop....

:mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LucasMcCain wrote:Ere someone errs spelling heirs, they should look out for those who split hairs.
You go sit in the corner for a while until you learn how to behave in civilized society! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
LucasMcCain wrote:Ere someone errs spelling heirs, they should look out for those who split hairs.
You go sit in the corner for a while until you learn how to behave in civilized society! :lol:

To ere is humane, to forego divide!! :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
You go to the corner too! :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

DocV

Post by DocV »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Jusme wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
You go to the corner too! :mrgreen:
Hoo is coroner two?
Did someone mention hunting hares?
:biggrinjester:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Oh my, look what I've started.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Sending people to the coroner for spelling errors just ain't right.
Charlie

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Sorry guys. I don't want you to think I'm putting on airs.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Return to “Off-Topic”