Texas Ancestry - Poll, please vote.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How many generations can you trace your Texas ancestry?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:42 pm

Just me. Got here as fast as I could.
37%
1st Generation
10%
2nd Generation
7%
3rd Generation
11%
4th Generation
11%
5th Generation
8%
6th Generation
5%
7th Generation
7%
8th Generation
2%
8+
3%

Total votes: 92

Ed4032
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas Ancestry - Poll

Post by Ed4032 »

You bunch of carpet baggers. Got here when this was Mexico... running from the law.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Dallashog

Post by Dallashog »

5th generation. My family moved here in the late 1870's from Alabama. They lost their farm to carpetbaggers after the war, tried to make it for a while before moving to Texas near Groesbeck.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I came here 28 years ago and never looked back.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Great great grandfather moved here from Kentucky on my mother's side Great grandfather from Arkansas on my father's side. Maternal grandfather's family here at least one generation earlier in Clarksville area.
Don't know any other place but Texas.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Lynyrd »

SRO1911 wrote:Depends on which branch I'm following.
Warren Angus Ferris was G-Grandfather on one side, so 3rd there but should count for extra.
Comanche grandmother on the other side could easily lead back 8+
You may get the prize sir! :thumbs2: I should have put an 8+ line in the poll.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

G26ster wrote:
Lynyrd wrote: The first ancestor you had who moved here would count as one. If that was your father or mother, you would be a second generation Texan.
How can someone who was not born here count as a the first generation of a Texan? Using that metric, all of us that came here from another state or country are first generation Texans. I am "corn-fused." :???:
:oops:

Sorry about the corn-fusion. :lol: Genealogists would call me on that, you must be one. My mistake. I said it wrong. It should start with being born here in Texas. But, for purposes of this poll, let's let it stand as is. And yes, I'm part of the 7th generation in my family of people born in Texas. So the way this poll was worded, I would be 8th generation.

sawdust

Post by sawdust »

3rd generation. Both sets of Grandparents came to Texas in late, late 1800's. One set from Tennessee, the other from Alabama. both Parents born in a tiny suburb of a tiny Central Texas farming town (pop. 1453) sorta ssw of Dallas.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I don't know the generation number, my dad probably does. However I know the first known ancestor to live in Texas. Robert B. Longbotham, got here in 1833. So going to be a few generations.
NRA Benefactor Member

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

A few weeks ago after working some cattle, I sat and listened to my sister and a cousin who are the family historians talk about ranching being in our blood. I knew it went back a long way so I asked how many generations could they account for. At the same time they both said 8. At that point I got up and left them talking family history and I went about my work. So, I can say 8 for certain.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

well, I tried to change the choices on the poll, and it wiped out everyone's vote. Didn't mean to to that, so please vote again. I flubbed up.

bigity

Re: Texas Ancestry - Poll, please vote again. Changed.

Post by bigity »

Love everything about Texas - except college football and mountains (Razorbacks and the Ozarks)
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

My mom was born in England, her dad was stationed there in the Air Force. My dad was born just outside of Tampa, Florida. They've both been here about 35 years a piece and every now and then they get to thinking they're Texans...

:nono: It's something you're born with! No such thing (at least in my thinking) as a naturalized Texan.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

So far I've traced my ancestors moving to Texas in 1848. As near as I can tell I'm a 5th generation Texan:

In 1848, three years after Texas joined the Union and when new lands were available to settlers, there came from Decatur, Alabama, my ancestors This trip was made by wagon train. The caravan consisted of five families in nine wagons. The trip was made in two months in which plenty of fishing and hunting were enjoyed by all. My ancestors first settled between Boggy Creek and Brushy Creek in Williamson County, Texas about 10 miles from Elgin, Texas. After residing there for about two years they moved between the communities of Lawrence Chapel and Beaukiss. The farm is known today as the old Briggs Farm. This farm is about 18 miles from Elgin and is located in Williamson County. The two communities were five or six miles apart and each one was a thriving community at that time. All living near the two communities had large families. Their recreation consisted of attending parties, dances and camp meetings: they were all Presbyterians by religious belief and were men of strong convictions. Close by was Post Oak Island Masonic Lodge No. 181. It is believed that most of the men were members of this lodge, which is still organized and a few years ago celebrated its 100th anniversary. :txflag:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Ed4032 wrote:You bunch of carpet baggers. Got here when this was Mexico... running from the law.
"rlol" "rlol" :smilelol5:

Return to “Off-Topic”