RIP BOB HOOVER "A stick & rudder man"

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TxD
Posts in topic: 1

RIP BOB HOOVER "A stick & rudder man"

Post by TxD »

As a young pilot back in the 60's, I admired this mans unique flying abilities.
The things he could do in his Shrike Commander were truly amazing.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/25/news/bo ... ml?ref=yfp
Black Rifles Matter

ELB

Re: RIP BOB HOOVER "A stick & rudder man"

Post by ELB »

Aerobatics with two engines. Then one engine. Then NO engines.

USAF 1982-2005

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

A Bob Hoover quote I heard yesterday from a pilot friend, "If you're going to crash, fly as far into the crash as you can."

In other words, never give up, never relinquish control.

That works in so many ways.

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

A truly great pilot. His biggest obstacle may have been the FAA trying to ground him for medical reasons. It was a huge fight for him to get his medical back. Might have been harder than his escape from a Nazi POW camp.

https://www.leftseat.com/Bob_Hoover_FAA ... dical.htmI

What a wonderful example of a true hero and great American. What a sorry example of what our government did to him.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

When a small airport opened in the League City area in 1967, it was named Spaceland Airport. It's name was changed to Houston Gulf Airport sometime later. Still later, it was sold and a developer included it in a large new home development.

When Spaceland opened, there was a big celebration. I was 17 years old and Bob Hoover flew in in a P-51 Mustang, my favorite airplane to this day. I got to walk up to it touch it and dream of the day when I would own one! (Unfortunately, that day never came.) Bob flew the Mustang in an acrobatic display, but the hands-down favorite was a high speed pass about 30 off the deck. He then flew his routine in his Shrike Commander as TxD mentioned. One of the maneuvers involved shutting down both engines, doing a loop, then making a dead stick landing. The entire crowd went nuts! This was 49 years ago and he was wearing his distinctive hat back then.

I remember that day as vividly as one can retain a cherished memory. I love everything about flying, the planes, pilots, airports, even the smell of aviation. That day I got to meet and shake the hand of a true American hero and a legend among pilots. I hope Bob was a Believer; I would like to shake his hand again.

Thanks Dave,
Chas.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rotor wrote:A truly great pilot. His biggest obstacle may have been the FAA trying to ground him for medical reasons. It was a huge fight for him to get his medical back. Might have been harder than his escape from a Nazi POW camp.

What a wonderful example of a true hero and great American. What a sorry example of what our government did to him.
Apparently, that link has gone dead.
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.48.34 AM.png
I love airplanes and airshows, but I've never heard of this man before. Sounds like he was truly one of the greats. God speed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
rotor wrote:A truly great pilot. His biggest obstacle may have been the FAA trying to ground him for medical reasons. It was a huge fight for him to get his medical back. Might have been harder than his escape from a Nazi POW camp.

Apparently, that link has gone dead.
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.48.34 AM.png
I love airplanes and airshows, but I've never heard of this man before. Sounds like he was truly one of the greats. God speed.
https://www.leftseat.com/Bob_Hoover_FAA ... edical.htm

No L on the end. Sorry

Bob Hoover was a true legend. He did things in his plane that nobody would think could be done. RIP Bob.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I got to see Duane Cole fly at one of the 1990's air shows at TSTC near Waco, and it was a little heartbreaking.

Cole flew across midfield at maybe one and half times pattern altitude and killed his engine. At that point his airplane went quiet and all the kids who were there for loud flashy stuff started wandering away from the flight line, looking for souvenir stands.

Cole flew seven loops, dead stick, from a very modest altitude, perfectly conserving energy each time, ending up at the perfect (low) altitude to make 180 degrees of turn to head into the wind over the runway.

I don't think he touched his brakes. He had just enough momentum left to center himself in front of the bleachers and turn to face the audience. It seemed like no one was paying attention. What a display of control and perfect understanding of kinetic energy.

rotor

Post by rotor »

treadlightly wrote:I got to see Duane Cole fly at one of the 1990's air shows at TSTC near Waco, and it was a little heartbreaking.

Cole flew across midfield at maybe one and half times pattern altitude and killed his engine. At that point his airplane went quiet and all the kids who were there for loud flashy stuff started wandering away from the flight line, looking for souvenir stands.

Cole flew seven loops, dead stick, from a very modest altitude, perfectly conserving energy each time, ending up at the perfect (low) altitude to make 180 degrees of turn to head into the wind over the runway.

I don't think he touched his brakes. He had just enough momentum left to center himself in front of the bleachers and turn to face the audience. It seemed like no one was paying attention. What a display of control and perfect understanding of kinetic energy.
Great also. I have his video and book. "Roll around a point".

FL450

Post by FL450 »

Got to see Bobs Shrike Commander act at Ellington years back.
What a show
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

treadlightly wrote:I got to see Duane Cole fly at one of the 1990's air shows at TSTC near Waco, and it was a little heartbreaking.

:thumbs2: Great story! Thanks for sharing.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

FL450 wrote:Got to see Bobs Shrike Commander act at Ellington years back.
What a show
I never heard of the guy before this thread, but he was a one of a kind pilot. RIP Mr. Hoover. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

WildBill wrote:
FL450 wrote:Got to see Bobs Shrike Commander act at Ellington years back.
What a show
I never heard of the guy before this thread, but he was a one of a kind pilot. RIP Mr. Hoover. :tiphat:
I hadn't heard of him either - but a true American hero.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Off-Topic”