Why Are Custom Plates So Expensive in TX?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 7

Why Are Custom Plates So Expensive in TX?

Post by RoyGBiv »

Y'all are a tuned-in bunch, maybe you can help me figure out the reason....

The cost of a 6-letter, personalized, "Don't Tread On Me" Texas license plate is $90/year with a 5 year minimum.
$450 to place an order. :banghead:

My NC personalized plates were $30/year in addition to the registration cost. Payable every year when I paid my registration, not 5 years up front. In VA the cost of a "Special" plate is only $10/year extra ($20 if you personalize it).. Also paid annually.

Why is Texas so expensive?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Why Are Custom Plates So Expensive in TX?

Post by Syntyr »

I am interested as well. I was going to get STR SHP to put on my Porsche 911 so dont take it... Then again its not likey i will ever get my 911 so you can have it!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Roy,

Don't know, but we're not in NC or VA.

I'm not being flippant or ugly, but when I see posts about other states and how they do it, whatever "it" may constitute, I just shake my head.

Please note, until I posted no one has criticized your post.

Why do suppose that is?

Answer: We're in Texas and not some other state.

I too find some things not to my liking, but overall I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Now, pay up or do without.

Besides, customized plates are very tough for our prisoners to produce.

Sheesh!

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Perhaps because NC & VA have state income tax, and we are one of seven that don't? Dunno. State has to get revenue one way or another. At least in TX you have a choice - get the plate, or not. In the other states with income tax, you have no choice.

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

Syntyr wrote:I am interested as well. I was going to get STR SHP to put on my Porsche 911 so dont take it... Then again its not likey i will ever get my 911 so you can have it!
I too one day want a 911. That is my ultimate dream car. No idea exactly why but it is. With that being said, if you can afford one, you can afford $500 for custom plates :cheers2:
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RoyGBiv »

So... If it's a revenue thing....

How many more would you sell at $30 or $40 or $50 billed annually vs. the current $450 pinch billed every 5 years.?

I'd wager that at $50 billed annually you would more than double the number of plates in circulation, resulting in more income for the State.....
But I'm just guessing.

:confused5
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Well I guess there are ppl inTX thst have $450 to throw away on plates. Me no way thats a lot of ammo or even a new gun.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Maybe the prisoners have unionized? Hey, just trying to help. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

IDK, no state income tax maybe? Gotta find revenue anywhere you can I guess.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

And don't forget in Texas you are paying for 2 plates. Front and rear.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

Odd question. I've had mine for some time now and never had to pay up front. I just picked out what I wanted (three versions/choices) and paid when the plate came in. Didn't know they wanted money up front for 5 years... if I read that right.
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Some of these plates pay money to certain charities
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RoyGBiv wrote:Y'all are a tuned-in bunch, maybe you can help me figure out the reason....

The cost of a 6-letter, personalized, "Don't Tread On Me" Texas license plate is $90/year with a 5 year minimum.
$450 to place an order. :banghead:

My NC personalized plates were $30/year in addition to the registration cost. Payable every year when I paid my registration, not 5 years up front. In VA the cost of a "Special" plate is only $10/year extra ($20 if you personalize it).. Also paid annually.

Why is Texas so expensive?
I don't know the answer, but I can tell you that it has deterred me from having the plate I want ever since I moved here.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I got some 14 years ago for my 2002 Corvette....long since sold. I don't remember them being that expensive. Maybe just ~$70 + the annual registration. But I definitely knew why we don't have an income tax....when I payed the SALES TAX on the 'Vette. But it's kind of like saying your Corvette uses too much gas...if you have to worry about it, you should have bought a Prius. "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Off-Topic”