Can the electoral college vote for Clinton instead of Trump?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 1

Can the electoral college vote for Clinton instead of Trump?

Post by mloamiller »

I've seen this brought up on Facebook a lot, and there is even a petition on change.org to make this happen. I didn't think this could happen but couldn't say why not, so did some research. I thought others might be interested, so here you go:

To summarize the Electoral College - we didn't actually vote for Trump or Clinton on Tuesday, we voted for the electors who will actually vote for Trump or Clinton in December, making them the next President. Only 30 or so states have laws that require the electors to vote for the person who won the election in their state. Even then, the punishment in those 30 states for not doing that isn't severe enough to really stop them from doing so. Therefore, it is technically possible for the electors to vote for Clinton in December - or anyone else I suppose. There have been a few times in history where an elector did go "rogue" and not vote as they should have, but it's never been anywhere near enough to change the election results.

However, here is the big reason there isn't any real possibility of this happening - the electors we voted for on Tuesday were specific to that candidate; Trump had his slate of electors and Clinton had hers. Of course, all of Trumps electors are Republicans, so those are the folks who will be voting in December. Therefore, in order for the Electoral College to elect Clinton, a lot of high-ranking Republicans would have to vote for her. That just ain't going to happen.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Can the electoral college vote for Clinton instead of Trump?

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

There's also the little thing where she conceded the election in front of God and everyone.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

The Electoral Colledge made simple.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

carlson1 wrote:The Electoral Colledge made simple.
I'll hold onto this one...
I used to think the electoral college needed to be replaced. TAM made some points in another thread that made me think harder about it and now I'm vehimitely against removing it.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Prager U has some fantastic information that is even digestible with teenagers with short attention spans. I've recommended his stuff to adults and kids alike.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Sport Coach wrote:Prager U has some fantastic information that is even digestible with teenagers with short attention spans. I've recommended his stuff to adults and kids alike.

:iagree:

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
carlson1 wrote:The Electoral Colledge made simple.
I'll hold onto this one...
I used to think the electoral college needed to be replaced. TAM made some points in another thread that made me think harder about it and now I'm vehimitely against removing it.
Dont feel lonely, I thought that too, or at least questioned why we have it. I'm getting a better understanding of it now. :cheers2:
Just some guy's opinion.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Without it all of the small States have no say and the large liberal States (California) picks the President.

I am glad we have it in place. Up until now I didn't understand it. I thought it was just archaic. Thank the Lord it is in place.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I do have a problem with it in that, Most of in convincingly majority states really don't have a vote that makes a difference. I knew Texas was going to throw all of her electoral votes to Trump before I even drove to polls.
Maybe if the states electoral college were more proportional. 2 for the state winner and the rest as the congressional districts vote.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Trump is the President.

Don't like that?

Move to another country.

Return to “Off-Topic”