Switchblade federal law for shipping across state lines

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Glock4ever
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Switchblade federal law for shipping across state lines

Post by Glock4ever »

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?op ... view&id=91

What does the below mean?

(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;

Acronym Esq
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Switchblade federal law for shipping across state lines

Post by Acronym Esq »

Glock4ever wrote:http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?op ... view&id=91

What does the below mean?

(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;
Generally I like to be paid to read statutes or bills, so I just skimmed that website.

Whatever that amendment does, sec. 1244 creates an exemption meaning sec. 1242 and 1243 does not apply to the people listed.

A "common carrier" generally refers to a business providing a transportation service like FedEx or UPS, but it could also include data like Verizon or AT&T. The context of sec. 1244 clearly indicates transporting stuff not data.

The phrase "interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business" is a term of art used to limit the exemption to the particular type of transportation business that the federal government has jurisdiction to regulate. Generally states control business going on on inside them and the feds control business crossing state lines.

Did I answer what you asked? IANYL.

Acronym 12/28/2016 8:58 AM

Return to “Off-Topic”