Are "Pit Maneuvers" Still Used?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Are "Pit Maneuvers" Still Used?

Post by Abraham »

I watch "Alaska State Troopers" and have never seen them use a "Pit Maneuver" on a fleeing vehicle and wonder if this method is no longer used by LE?

P.S. ...and I wouldn't expect them to use it on icy/snowy road conditions, but only on dry roads.

I wonder if this method of putting a fleeing vehicle out of commission has been found a problem for reasons of liability or too dangerous for LE or ...?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Jusme

Re: Are "Pit Maneuvers" Still Used?

Post by Jusme »

Abraham wrote:I watch "Alaska State Troopers" and have never seen them use a "Pit Maneuver" on a fleeing vehicle and wonder if this method is no longer used by LE?

P.S. ...and I wouldn't expect them to use it on icy/snowy road conditions, but only on dry roads.

I wonder if this method of putting a fleeing vehicle out of commission has been found a problem for reasons of liability or too dangerous for LE or ...?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

It is still used, and if executed properly is very effective. I don't know what Alaska's policies may be, but it could be that icy/snowy conditions would be detrimental, and harder to execute. I haven't heard of any legal ramifications, causing it to be discontinued, but I know it was used in Dallas about a year ago on a fleeing vehicle.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Jusme,

Thank you for your response.

I used to watch a variety of police documentary type shows often seeing the "Pit Maneuver" used and yes, quite effectively.

Of late, I just don't see it used and thought perhaps, given the sue happy public and the higher ups possibly wavering, it had been banned.

I'm glad I'm wrong.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RogueUSMC »

I witnessed CHP do it on I-10 near San Bernardino once...pretty cool to watch...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

They do have to use discretion when using the PIT maneuver. Other vehicles on the road have to be taken into consideration as well as pedestrians. If you notice on protracted pursuits, with the news coverage, people sometimes line the streets to watch the "show". Making getting the BG stopped that much harder.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:I've had occasion to use it overseas (I was trained in Offensive Driving first in South Africa then more formally trained at Hereford in England) and we were always told that the use thereof should be considered lethal force; perhaps that's (becoming) a similar concept here among police?
I have read that it depends on the speed of the vehicles.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”