Harold Hayes, Survivor of Secret World War II Odyssey, Dies at 94

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Harold Hayes, Survivor of Secret World War II Odyssey, Dies at 94

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Harold Hayes, Survivor of Secret World War II Odyssey, Dies at 94

Post by The Annoyed Man »

God speed Mr. Hays.

Over the last few days, I've been exchanging emails with Larry Kirby, who was my dad's platoon sergeant on Iwo Jima, and one of the 7 survivors of Cushman's Pocket, including my Dad. Mr Kirby was a scout sniper, and he made three amphibious assaults in the Pacific: Bougainville, Guam, and Iwo Jima. He was wounded at Iwo, and was taken on a litter along with my dad and 4 others to the same aid station. His wounds were severe enough to earn him a trip stateside.

Today, Larry Kirby is a spry and active 92 years old. He is the primary care giver to an invalid wife es been married to his entire adult life, and he spends the rest of his time public speaking, and mentoring young combat vets who are recently home from Iraq and Afghanistan.

It's been just great talking with him.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

ELB wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/24/worl ... .html?_r=0

Go read this. What an ordeal.
Sad to see another of the Greatest Generation leave us. Prayers for the family and friends of Mr. Hayes. Thanks for posting this.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

puma guy wrote:
ELB wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/24/worl ... .html?_r=0

Go read this. What an ordeal.
Sad to see another of the Greatest Generation leave us. Prayers for the family and friends of Mr. Hayes. Thanks for posting this.
I agree. There are so very, very few of them left on this earth. Let's cherish the heroes we still have, and remember those who have gone.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mxrdad »

The Annoyed Man wrote:God speed Mr. Hays.

Over the last few days, I've been exchanging emails with Larry Kirby, who was my dad's platoon sergeant on Iwo Jima, and one of the 7 survivors of Cushman's Pocket, including my Dad. Mr Kirby was a scout sniper, and he made three amphibious assaults in the Pacific: Bougainville, Guam, and Iwo Jima. He was wounded at Iwo, and was taken on a litter along with my dad and 4 others to the same aid station. His wounds were severe enough to earn him a trip stateside.

Today, Larry Kirby is a spry and active 92 years old. He is the primary care giver to an invalid wife es been married to his entire adult life, and he spends the rest of his time public speaking, and mentoring young combat vets who are recently home from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Wow, just wow. TAM, if you dont mind, if you think about it, would you tell Mr. Kirby there are folks out here that realize the sacrifices men like him have made for this country? And that this ol boy thanks him with all his heart for his service both in combat and at home? I wish him the best and glad to hear he is still active at the ripe young age of 92. And God speed to Mr Hays. It is sad we are losing that generation.
Just some guy's opinion.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Mxrdad wrote:

Wow, just wow. TAM, if you dont mind, if you think about it, would you tell Mr. Kirby there are folks out here that realize the sacrifices men like him have made for this country? And that this ol boy thanks him with all his heart for his service both in combat and at home? I wish him the best and glad to hear he is still active at the ripe young age of 92. And God speed to Mr Hays. It is sad we are losing that generation.
I will certainly let him know. I just answered one of his emails not 10 minutes ago.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Mxrdad wrote:

Same goes for me, TAM.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Mxrdad wrote:

Yes.

And if you have time, and he agrees, you should jot down his account of his experiences, and publish it, maybe as a Kindle book.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”