GSD or Belgian Malinois Breeders?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Re: GSD or Belgian Malinois Breeders?

Post by Lena »

10262252_723191451035507_3546766287071976588_n.jpg
My Mica Okla..jpg
Stay Safe

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

C-dub wrote:
karder wrote:Both GSDs and BMs are fantastic dogs. They are quite different in their behaviors however. I buddy of mine who is a K9 officer and works a Belgian Malinois, describes BMs as a German Shepherd after chugging a case of Red Bull!. BMs are fantastic working dogs for police or military because they have so much energy and drive but the downside of that is they need to be working or at least heavily exercised and mentally stimulated. Shepherds are also high energy and need lots of exercise and attention, but they are down a couple of notches from the Belgian Malinois. I love German Shepherds (I have two) but I don't think I have the energy to wear out a Belgian Malinois anymore!
I will echo what Mr. Cotton said. Please consider visiting your local shelter. There are some special pups there who would sure appreciate a permanent home. Often times purebred shepherds are available at the shelter, left there by someone who did not understand that puppies grow up. Good luck with your search! :tiphat:
:iagree: This is a very accurate description with one small exception. Mellow and calm GSDs can be found. I'm not so sure about the Maligators. That nickname has been earned. I trained both breeds and others for Schutzhund and a couple different Ring Sports for many years before finally getting burned out. Find a reputable working dog breeder and ask if they have "pet" quality pups or young dogs. These will usually be lower drive and much more tolerable to someone that is not planning on working them. Even a Mal with medium drive levels can be more than most are prepared for.
I know of two breeders. One breeds dogs for working sports. The other sells more family type dogs. I have know him for 15 years. Depending on the pup you pick out of the litter, if it is more calm, can make a very good family pet. You seem to know what you are getting into, so either breed will serve you will. Inquire about hip Xrays, cancer, heart issues and other issues in the bloodline. My friend where my two German Shepherds are from is expecting a litter in Feb. My dogs are 12 years old, they get around like they are 2 years old and they were trained by me in Schutzhund, OFA good hips and elbows.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Lena wrote:
10262252_723191451035507_3546766287071976588_n.jpg
My Mica Okla..jpg
What's for lunch.. :hurry:

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rotor »

SewTexas wrote:
vjallen75 wrote:
jkurtz wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Just be ready to sweep and vacuum often and regularly. LOL
I ended up buying a Roomba.
My Malinois stays outside because he constantly sheds. My wife hates it.

Only time he comes inside is if it's below freezing and he's in a kennel.

:???: she doesn't know shedding.....I have 2 corgis....that's shedding! They are my babies though.
I have to agree with you. I have 2 Bostons and a Corgi. Corgi sheds a Boston every day. Bostons are worthless but the Corgi is a super watch dog, nothing gets by him except the hair he sheds.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

:biggrinjester: :rolll :lol:: mojo, if he is not neutered, my Laika is looking for a mate.. Now....we are doing GSD match making..
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

rotor wrote:
SewTexas wrote:
vjallen75 wrote:
jkurtz wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Just be ready to sweep and vacuum often and regularly. LOL
I ended up buying a Roomba.
My Malinois stays outside because he constantly sheds. My wife hates it.

Only time he comes inside is if it's below freezing and he's in a kennel.

:???: she doesn't know shedding.....I have 2 corgis....that's shedding! They are my babies though.
I have to agree with you. I have 2 Bostons and a Corgi. Corgi sheds a Boston every day. Bostons are worthless but the Corgi is a super watch dog, nothing gets by him except the hair he sheds.

nope, nothing gets past mine....not the UPS guy, the FedEx guy, the JW's, the truck driving down the street, the guy thinking about driving down the street :smilelol5: They really are smart, but "quiet" isn't easily learned. :grumble But, that said, I trust my girls. And they have learned to tell when I am having a migraine, it's really interesting to see their behavior.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

Beiruty wrote::biggrinjester: :rolll :lol:: mojo, if he is not neutered, my Laika is looking for a mate.. Now....we are doing GSD match making..
Unfortunately, he is no longer man enough. I wish he were.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

mojo84 wrote:
Beiruty wrote::biggrinjester: :rolll :lol:: mojo, if he is not neutered, my Laika is looking for a mate.. Now....we are doing GSD match making..
Unfortunately, he is no longer man enough. I wish he were.
Thanks for the reply,

I am still looking for a true GS breeding mate for Laika. Timeframe June-July.
I anyone is interested, please, PM me.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

SewTexas wrote:nope, nothing gets past mine....not the UPS guy, the FedEx guy, the JW's, the truck driving down the street, the guy thinking about driving down the street :smilelol5: They really are smart, but "quiet" isn't easily learned. :grumble But, that said, I trust my girls. And they have learned to tell when I am having a migraine, it's really interesting to see their behavior.
My pup is extremely smart, my wife runs outside to get him to be quiet. He now understands all he has to do is start barking and someone will come outside. It's amazing to see how fast my BM picks up on things. He listens to me for the most part there are times where he can be stubborn, especially when he hasn't had two walks and play time.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PUCKER »

Thank y'all for posting pix of your beautiful pups/dogs!!! Brings back memories. Growing up (do we ever grow up though? LOL) we had two GSD (one after the other), both were tremendous!

Return to “Off-Topic”