LEO Instructions

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

LEO Instructions

Post by WTR »

I've been watching an old show concerning LAPD Officers. One problem I have noticed are conflicting instruction given by the multiple Officers on a scene. They almost present a no win situation . Also, the lack of finger disapline by some Officers is disturbing.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LEO Instructions

Post by AJSully421 »

Listen to the guy with the most chevrons on his sleeves. Never fails.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

When in doubt just get your hands up and slowly go to the ground with all your limbs spread out.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Roughly how old is the program? I've noticed that in the past as well and talked to some of our local cops during our citizen's police academy. They indicated they do their best to avoid that and try to have just one give commands.
Last edited by mojo84 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

NTexCopRetired

Post by NTexCopRetired »

If it is a properly executed felony stop and the officers are properly trained and/or experienced, one officer will give commands to the suspect(s). The most potential for multiple officers issuing commands is in a tactical operation where officers are entering an area with multiple areas and occupants. "When in doubt just get your hands up and slowly go to the ground with all your limbs spread out..." is excellent advice. Sudden movement, being argumentative and disregarding instructions leads to problems for everybody.

Topic author
WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

Show was filmed in the 90s. One example was a felony stop.... All instructions begin with turn around and face away from us..... Then it diverted as where to walk and where the perp was to put his hands( about three separate instructions being yell out by 5 to 6 Officers. Another was just checking on a homeless guy. One Officers tells him to pull up his pants ( they were falling off) then as soon as begins to comply, the other yells to him to put his hands on his head .... He was pathetic and all ended well with the Officer just telling him to leave the area.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I would be reluctant to learn anything about correct police procedure from a Hollywood product.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

In most departments on a patrol (Non-Tactical/SWAT) call for service you have a primary officer and cover/backup officer or officers.

The primary officer is "running" the call for service. The cover officer/officers are there primarily for officer safety in case there are multiple suspects or participants, not to take over the call for service unless the cover/backup is a supervisor (stripes on the arm) and that supervisor chooses to take command of the call. Some do, the good ones let the primary officer get the experience of running the call until completion or the primary consults the supervisor for direction on how to complete the call if a complex call.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

AJSully421 wrote:Listen to the guy with the most chevrons on his sleeves. Never fails.
That works better when they're not shining a combined 3500 lumens in your eyes.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “Off-Topic”