Texas Traffic Laws

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 6

Texas Traffic Laws

Post by JakeTheSnake »

I have a question regarding Tx traffic laws regarding Yield signage.
Referring to the attached photo and the intersection, traffic traveling west on Potranco has a turn lane to turn on Texas Research Pkwy. They can have a turn arrow or just a green or red light.
Traffic traveling east on Potranco has a light, green or red, and a Yield sign to turn right on to the Pkwy.
People are complaining that those turning right with the yield sign don't yield right of way. Others are saying that those turning left only have right of way when they have the arrow and that they should always yield to those approaching in the opposite direction regardless if they are turning or not.
My understanding is if you have a yield sign you should yield right of way, there is no exceptions or variables to the yield sign. It doesn't come and go depending on condition of lights.
What say you? Are there any LEO, Judges, or lawyers that can clarify?
IMG_0279.JPG

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas Traffic Laws

Post by Jago668 »

I'm none of the above, but seems that the yield sign would take precedence.
NRA Benefactor Member

KLB

Post by KLB »

Screwed up combination of sign and signal. Complain to the City.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

If anyone is turning left then one would assume they have green or blinking yellow arrow, so the folks turning right would be required to yield. That is how I would deal with it.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ninjabread »

545.153 - VEHICLE ENTERING STOP OR YIELD INTERSECTION
(c) An operator approaching an intersection on a roadway controlled by a yield sign shall:
(1) slow to a speed that is reasonable under the existing conditions; and
(2) yield the right-of-way to a vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another highway so closely as to be an immediate hazard to the operator's movement in or across the intersection.

IANAL but it sounds like the driver turning right has to avoid hitting the driver turning left, but is not required to proactively stop to allow the left turn.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Soo, in this question you never stated who has the BIG TRUCK...the person turning left or person turning right. IMO, if you have a yeild sign you yeild. Also. Are both drivers liberals? Or does only one have a loaded gun rack? :headscratch
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

TreyHouston wrote:Soo, in this question you never stated who has the BIG TRUCK...the person turning left or person turning right. IMO, if you have a yeild sign you yeild. Also. Are both drivers liberals? Or does only one have a loaded gun rack? :headscratch
I believe the ones who believe yield signs are conditional and come and go depending on light conditions are liberals and come from Commifornia.
IMG_0280.JPG

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Based on the signage; those turning left onto Research under green arrow (opposing light should be red) have the right of way. If they have a green, but no arrow (presuming opposing light is also green) then anyone eastbound has the right of way wether they go straight or turn right. So I guess I'm voting "No the yield sign does not trump a red light for eastbound traffic. It becomes a right-on-red-after-stop-if-the-way-is-clear. And if the westbound left turn lane emptys before the arrow goes away (eastbound still has red) I presume all the folks turning right from eastbound will roll thru the red light....
unless traffic detail is in view....

Reminds me of a funny story about a yield sign I keep meaning to post in LEO Contacts.....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

you know what? I really want to move back up there.....but they have really managed to screw up their roads something awful.....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:Based on the signage; those turning left onto Research under green arrow (opposing light should be red) have the right of way. If they have a green, but no arrow (presuming opposing light is also green) then anyone eastbound has the right of way wether they go straight or turn right. So I guess I'm voting "No the yield sign does not trump a red light for eastbound traffic. It becomes a right-on-red-after-stop-if-the-way-is-clear. And if the westbound left turn lane emptys before the arrow goes away (eastbound still has red) I presume all the folks turning right from eastbound will roll thru the red light....
unless traffic detail is in view....

Reminds me of a funny story about a yield sign I keep meaning to post in LEO Contacts.....
So are you saying that if eastbound Potranco has a green light the yield sign disappears or no longer applies, or is conditional to westbound Potrancos light?

loktite

Post by loktite »

To westbound traffic turning left onto Texas Research, the existence of the yield sign has 0 bearing on right of way for their decision making. My understanding, based on your description is that: Either 1) They have a green arrow and they have right of way. 2) they have a green light, and thus would inherently have to yield to oncoming traffic, as they don't "know" that eastbound vehicle is turning right, even if the blinker is on.

IMO, the yield sign comes into play under a timed light scenario, low traffic density. Allows someone (say at night) to not have to come to a complete stop to make a right hand turn under red light.
NRA Endowment Member

casp625
Posts in topic: 5

Post by casp625 »

ninjabread wrote:545.153 - VEHICLE ENTERING STOP OR YIELD INTERSECTION
(c) An operator approaching an intersection on a roadway controlled by a yield sign shall:
(2) yield the right-of-way to a vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another highway so closely as to be an immediate hazard to the operator's movement in or across the intersection.

IANAL but it sounds like the driver turning right has to avoid hitting the driver turning left, but is not required to proactively stop to allow the left turn.
Sec. 545.152. VEHICLE TURNING LEFT. To turn left at an intersection or into an alley or private road or driveway, an operator shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle that is approaching from the opposite direction and that is in the intersection or in such proximity to the intersection as to be an immediate hazard.

Also, this type of situation is exactly why I don't use my blinker in these intersections. Since the vehicle turning left believes I am going straight (I have green light and they have flashing arrow), they have to yield right of way to me.

Topic author
JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

casp625 wrote:
ninjabread wrote:545.153 - VEHICLE ENTERING STOP OR YIELD INTERSECTION

Sec. 545.152. VEHICLE TURNING LEFT. To turn left at an intersection or into an alley or private road or driveway, an operator shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle that is approaching from the opposite direction and that is in the intersection or in such proximity to the intersection as to be an immediate hazard.

Also, this type of situation is exactly why I don't use my blinker in these intersections. Since the vehicle turning left believes I am going straight (I have green light and they have flashing arrow), they have to yield right of way to me.
That sounds crazy, you would break the law to keep from obeying the law? :shock:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I thought that the only time anyone turning left had the right of way was if they had a green left turn arrow and that was because all other signals prohibited others from proceeding at that time in the same direction. Also, I can't be sure, but I thought traffic signals trumped signs unless they were temporary signs due to construction or something similar.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

This is based on IF I am understanding the scenario correctly. Once the right turn is made by the person that was going east, he is now subject to the yield sign. The person turning left onto the same road has the right of way since he is now going straight and the vehicle that turned right is actually now merging into traffic. The lights at the intersection have no bearing once the turns are made.

In this type of scenario, the vehicle merging into traffic yields to traffic already in the lanes.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Off-Topic”