Weekend range time in DFW?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

loktite
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Weekend range time in DFW?

Post by loktite »

Nice saloon Beiruty :biggrinjester:
NRA Endowment Member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Beiruty »

Nice stud on the right.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

Life happens and plans have to change...I won't be able to attend the DPC match on Saturday.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Great fun at the range today. I got to try out my friends ACOG and really liked it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get my own.

My daughter had a good and frustrating time on the skeet range. She's good on stations 1-2 and 6-7, but still having trouble with 3-5. When I stand behind to try and figure out what she's doing or not doing I can't explain why some of her shots are not busting them. However, many of them are due to her having trouble with the swing of the shotgun while tracking the bird. She can hit true pairs on 1 and 7, but is stymied at singles on the middle stations. I think she's close.

After we were done someone else put in terms that may help next time we are out. From my description of how she swings the shotgun he thinks that she's switching her view back and forth from the barrel to the bird. I'm not that knowledgeable about this process and didn't realize that when I shoot I'm not really looking at or focusing on the barrel or the front bead, but more the bird. He said that when one has their cheek in the right place on the stock all you have to do is follow the bird and the the shotgun will move with you if you keep it properly welded to your cheek. That seemed to make some sense to both of us and we'll try that out next time.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

C-dub wrote:Great fun at the range today. I got to try out my friends ACOG and really liked it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get my own.

My daughter had a good and frustrating time on the skeet range. She's good on stations 1-2 and 6-7, but still having trouble with 3-5. When I stand behind to try and figure out what she's doing or not doing I can't explain why some of her shots are not busting them. However, many of them are due to her having trouble with the swing of the shotgun while tracking the bird. She can hit true pairs on 1 and 7, but is stymied at singles on the middle stations. I think she's close.

After we were done someone else put in terms that may help next time we are out. From my description of how she swings the shotgun he thinks that she's switching her view back and forth from the barrel to the bird. I'm not that knowledgeable about this process and didn't realize that when I shoot I'm not really looking at or focusing on the barrel or the front bead, but more the bird. He said that when one has their cheek in the right place on the stock all you have to do is follow the bird and the the shotgun will move with you if you keep it properly welded to your cheek. That seemed to make some sense to both of us and we'll try that out next time.
C-Dub,
You might try letting her use some Winchester AA Tracker shells. They are not much more than regular AA's and come in black and orange trackers depending on bright or overcast conditions. I also highly recommend a small, but very useful book by the late, great Bob Brister, who is considered the father of sporting clays in the US. It's titled "Shotgunning: The Art and The Science". You can often find the book on Ebay and Amazon from 4-5 dollars but it;s worth it's weight in gold. Alibris is another source for used books.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

puma guy wrote:
C-dub wrote:Great fun at the range today. I got to try out my friends ACOG and really liked it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get my own.

C-Dub,
You might try letting her use some Winchester AA Tracker shells. They are not much more than regular AA's and come in black and orange trackers depending on bright or overcast conditions. I also highly recommend a small, but very useful book by the late, great Bob Brister, who is considered the father of sporting clays in the US. It's titled "Shotgunning: The Art and The Science". You can often find the book on Ebay and Amazon from 4-5 dollars but it;s worth it's weight in gold. Alibris is another source for used books.
We tried some in my 12 gauge and had a difficult time seeing the thing.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

C-dub wrote:
puma guy wrote:

C-Dub,
We tried some in my 12 gauge and had a difficult time seeing the thing.
If you still have your Red Ryder BB gun there's an exercise in his book involving it and ping pong balls that may be useful.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Off-Topic”